GPRMC sentence in packet

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
      Greetings,

      In the past, packets like those following might have been received. How was
      the symbol determined? Does it rely on the SSID for a symbol?

      AE0SS-11>APRS:$GPRMC,151447,A,4034.5189,N,10424.4955,W,6.474,132.5,220406,10
      .1,E*58
      KC0YA-11>APRS:$GPRMC,145322,A,4034.3765,N,10410.8083,W,12.062,220.7,220406,9
      .9,E*56

      What does APRSISCE do?

      I don't believe I have ever noticed a packet of this type in a long time.

      Thanks!

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
        (Note: Wiki fodder below, but I don't know exactly where.... Maybe a FAQ?)

        APRSISCE/32 implements the aprs101.pdf-specified method of determining a
        symbol. Namely (from Chapter 20):

        > There are three methods of specifying an APRS symbol (display icon):
        > • In the AX.25 Information field.
        > • In the AX.25 Destination Address.
        > • In the SSID of the AX.25 Source Address.
        > The preferred method is to include the symbol in the Information field.
        > However, where this is not possible (for example, in stand-alone trackers
        > with no means of introducing the symbol into the

        The first and preferred method is obvious: the packet explicitly tells
        you the symbols.

        The second is nearly as good in that it provides access to nearly all of
        the symbols:

        > • GPSxyz — for generic Destination addresses containing symbols.
        > • GPSCnn or GPSEnn

        The third would be used for your sample packets which use the completely
        generic >APRS destination:

        > SSID-Specified Icons in the AX.25 Source Address Field
        > SSID Icon SSID Icon
        > -0 [no icon] -8 Ship (power boat)
        > -1 Ambulance -9 Car
        > -2 Bus -10 Motorcycle
        > -3 Fire Truck -11 Balloon
        > -4 Bicycle -12 Jeep
        > -5 Yacht -13 Recreational Vehicle
        > -6 Helicopter -14 Truck
        > -7 Small Aircraft -15 Van

        In your case, AE0SS-11 would be given a balloon symbol. This is usually
        the source of some pretty random symbols when the first (or only)
        packet(s) received from a station are not posits. Such stations will
        typically have a symbol based on their -SSID which will then change to
        their intended symbol when a posit is (hopefully eventually) received
        containing a symbol.

        APRSISCE/32 trumps the remembered symbol based on priority across the
        three symbol choices as well. This provides for the -SSID-implied symbol
        to be finally overridden when a posit is received.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
          How much of the GPRMC sentence must be present?

          Assuming the checksum is correct, can any of the fields, such as time, be
          empty?

          Thanks!
          Fred, N7FMH

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
            The packet has to pass parse. I'm not sure just what all elements might
            be required in order to do that.

            Are you planning to construct one of these manually? If so, why not
            just do a normal APRS posit packet?

            Or do you have a GPS that's going nuts and not fully fleshing out an
            NMEA sentence?

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
              Nothing bad like a flaky GPS. I am just playing a bit. I can make a better packet, but for something quick and dirty, I can make a real simple packet and inject it into APRSIS32. Mainly, I saw the example and was wanting to try it.