Re: [aprsisce] Perhaps this might be a good feature?

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12, 2013
      On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      > PS. Remember that depending on you chosen RF path, a bulletin can
      > travel quite far possibly resulting in completely useless AOS or pass
      > information as that would be based on the transmitting location.

      And for those snooping via APRS-IS, if you are in the feed area, they
      get the bulletin. Those who snoop world wide get woken up for a pass
      that's no where near them. Of course, if you're snooping over a large
      area, you should expect to hear lots of noise.

      This again is PUSHING information out towards people who potentially
      have no interest in the information. It's like you're one of those
      looney tunes standing on the street corner yelling out "The satellite
      is coming! The satellite is coming!" A lot of people will look at you
      like you're crazy and wander along... maybe a couple people might take
      note and be interested, but many will probably not really care.

      I could be one of those crazy people around here, and I doubt that
      anyone would notice. Most people have dumb trackers in their
      vehicles... no RX capability at all. A guy I work with has the full
      meal deal with a D710, but I have yet to be able to get his attention
      via APRS. When I get in his truck, I poke at the radio, hit the MSG
      button and say "Hey, look at all these messages for you!". They are
      all from me, and could be weeks or months old, and not yet noticed.

      You know that old adage about leading horses to water...

    • Bill Vodall
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 13, 2013
        > > If a good or very good ISS overpass is coming up and I want to send out
        > > a Bulletin on RF alerting nearby stations and stating 1. Satellite name, 2.
        > > Minutes before AOS and I would like to repeat the bulletin every minute or
        > > two until zero minutes are left and then the bulletin stops automatically
        > > being transmitted....could this be a potential feature worth implementing.
        > >
        > > Gerard VK2JNG

        Digi_ned does this and it's a very useful feature. I've seen a lot
        of ISS passes that I would have otherwise missed because of it. It
        hasn't been going for a while and, thank you for the reminder, it's
        time to turn it on again.

        http://digined.pe1mew.nl/?DIGI_NED_Manual:DIGI_NED_functions:Satellite_tracking

        While it's generally set up for users to query the current satellite
        position, a small number may be configured for automatic position
        posting.

        73
        Bill - WA7NWP
      • Adam Mahnke
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 13, 2013
          I was thinking maybe Lynn could move it to his QRU server?

          Adam
          KC2ANT

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 13, 2013
            > > If a good or very good ISS overpass is coming
            up and I want to send out
            > > a Bulletin on RF alerting nearby stations
            and stating 1. Satellite name, 2.
            > > Minutes before AOS and I would
            like to repeat the bulletin every minute or
            > > two until zero minutes
            are left and then the bulletin stops automatically
            > > being
            transmitted....could this be a potential feature worth implementing.

            > > Gerard VK2JNG

            Digi_ned does this and it's a very useful feature. I've seen a lot
            of ISS passes that I would have otherwise missed because of it. It
            hasn't been going for a while and, thank you for the reminder, it's
            time to turn it on again.

            http://digined.pe1mew.nl/?DIGI_NED_Manual:DIGI_NED_functions:Satellite_tracking

            While it's generally set up for users to query the current satellite
            position, a small number may be configured for automatic position
            posting.

            73
            Bill - WA7NWP
            In APRSISCE/32 you can set the path for a bulletin. As long as the sender thinks (I know that is a stretch sometimes) then it should be relatively easy to keep bulletins mostly local.

            In the case of a satellite pass, a single hop should be sufficient. It would keep the data within one hop of the originator. If it is a high DIGI, then no path is probably better. And, RFONLY or NOGATE could be added as well. Now no one outside of the immediate area is likely to receive the bulletin.

            Hopefully every satellite AOS isn't announced since there are many satellites.

            On another note, but similar, there is a way to get announcements now. It works as long as you remember to ask. And, it only takes sending a message.

            There is a local mobile station that sends from his D700 or D710 (I don't remember which). I usually see his message and the response.

            I sent a message to ISS with the content of "a" and I saw this dialog:

            13:17:12> a (*2-13:17:12)
            13:17:12< AOS 2h16m (2033z) SE^11

            The "a" can be anything as long as it is something.

            There response is based on the requester's location.