Re: [aprsisce] Perhaps this might be a good feature?

  • Adam Mahnke
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12, 2013
      Perhaps the ISS information that someone already injects could be used......

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 12, 2013
        That someone is me.  The ISS object comes out of my KJ4ERJ-15 instance which also runs the SATSRV.  I'm considering some sort of subscription model to the SATSRV so that APRS messages are sent for the next N upcoming passes for a given requester.  This will not spam any given area with bulletins, and the messages themselves will probably be suppressed if the subscribed station hasn't recently beaconed.

        But it could be an interesting way to get a localized notification without having to re-request the next pass and requires no special support other than that required by -IS to RF message gating.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 12, 2013
          On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
          <kj4erj@...> wrote:

          > PS. Remember that depending on you chosen RF path, a bulletin can
          > travel quite far possibly resulting in completely useless AOS or pass
          > information as that would be based on the transmitting location.

          And for those snooping via APRS-IS, if you are in the feed area, they
          get the bulletin. Those who snoop world wide get woken up for a pass
          that's no where near them. Of course, if you're snooping over a large
          area, you should expect to hear lots of noise.

          This again is PUSHING information out towards people who potentially
          have no interest in the information. It's like you're one of those
          looney tunes standing on the street corner yelling out "The satellite
          is coming! The satellite is coming!" A lot of people will look at you
          like you're crazy and wander along... maybe a couple people might take
          note and be interested, but many will probably not really care.

          I could be one of those crazy people around here, and I doubt that
          anyone would notice. Most people have dumb trackers in their
          vehicles... no RX capability at all. A guy I work with has the full
          meal deal with a D710, but I have yet to be able to get his attention
          via APRS. When I get in his truck, I poke at the radio, hit the MSG
          button and say "Hey, look at all these messages for you!". They are
          all from me, and could be weeks or months old, and not yet noticed.

          You know that old adage about leading horses to water...

        • Bill Vodall
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 13, 2013
            > > If a good or very good ISS overpass is coming up and I want to send out
            > > a Bulletin on RF alerting nearby stations and stating 1. Satellite name, 2.
            > > Minutes before AOS and I would like to repeat the bulletin every minute or
            > > two until zero minutes are left and then the bulletin stops automatically
            > > being transmitted....could this be a potential feature worth implementing.
            > >
            > > Gerard VK2JNG

            Digi_ned does this and it's a very useful feature. I've seen a lot
            of ISS passes that I would have otherwise missed because of it. It
            hasn't been going for a while and, thank you for the reminder, it's
            time to turn it on again.

            http://digined.pe1mew.nl/?DIGI_NED_Manual:DIGI_NED_functions:Satellite_tracking

            While it's generally set up for users to query the current satellite
            position, a small number may be configured for automatic position
            posting.

            73
            Bill - WA7NWP
          • Adam Mahnke
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 13, 2013
              I was thinking maybe Lynn could move it to his QRU server?

              Adam
              KC2ANT

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 13, 2013
                > > If a good or very good ISS overpass is coming
                up and I want to send out
                > > a Bulletin on RF alerting nearby stations
                and stating 1. Satellite name, 2.
                > > Minutes before AOS and I would
                like to repeat the bulletin every minute or
                > > two until zero minutes
                are left and then the bulletin stops automatically
                > > being
                transmitted....could this be a potential feature worth implementing.

                > > Gerard VK2JNG

                Digi_ned does this and it's a very useful feature. I've seen a lot
                of ISS passes that I would have otherwise missed because of it. It
                hasn't been going for a while and, thank you for the reminder, it's
                time to turn it on again.

                http://digined.pe1mew.nl/?DIGI_NED_Manual:DIGI_NED_functions:Satellite_tracking

                While it's generally set up for users to query the current satellite
                position, a small number may be configured for automatic position
                posting.

                73
                Bill - WA7NWP
                In APRSISCE/32 you can set the path for a bulletin. As long as the sender thinks (I know that is a stretch sometimes) then it should be relatively easy to keep bulletins mostly local.

                In the case of a satellite pass, a single hop should be sufficient. It would keep the data within one hop of the originator. If it is a high DIGI, then no path is probably better. And, RFONLY or NOGATE could be added as well. Now no one outside of the immediate area is likely to receive the bulletin.

                Hopefully every satellite AOS isn't announced since there are many satellites.

                On another note, but similar, there is a way to get announcements now. It works as long as you remember to ask. And, it only takes sending a message.

                There is a local mobile station that sends from his D700 or D710 (I don't remember which). I usually see his message and the response.

                I sent a message to ISS with the content of "a" and I saw this dialog:

                13:17:12> a (*2-13:17:12)
                13:17:12< AOS 2h16m (2033z) SE^11

                The "a" can be anything as long as it is something.

                There response is based on the requester's location.