Re: [aprsisce] red point on screen?

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 8:42 AM
      That's the meatball! I think the author has some Italian in him!

      Actually Lynn calls it the red dot, which shows the forecast error of
      his Genius beaconing routine. I find it pretty "wonky", when watching
      it to try and figure out where the program thinks I am.

      Look in the wiki for Red Dot.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 1:36 PM
        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/red-dot - Red Dot explanation

        Also

        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/screen-features - Transmit Pressure

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1 1:49 PM
          James,

          It's not where the program thinks you are, it's the error between where
          you are and where someone dead-reckoning you from your last position
          would think you are. The circle scale is the Configure / Genius /
          Forecast Error and when the red dot hits the circle, a beacon will be
          sent (provided that it has been at least Configure / Genius / Min Time
          since the last one).

          PS. It's also there to give you something to watch and think about when
          you're bored on a long road trip. You can even play with your speed to
          see if you can make it move! Just remember that it jumps back to the
          center on every beacon.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1 8:23 PM
            Yeah, I know it's where others might assume you are. I have a heck of
            a time figuring out what the meatball is supposed to be telling me.
            I've tried watching it while driving down the road, but I don't think
            I've seen it hit the circle before bouncing back home.

            If I juimp on the gas, that meatball should fall behind until it hits
            the circle, then jump back to center as the next beacon updates speed
            and heading information. Jamming on the brakes would do the same, but
            the meatball should over run the direction you are headed. I think
            that this works.

            It's the heading deviation that seems to be wierd. I haven't played
            with it mobile for a while though.

            I'd still like to be able to get rid of the meatball and circle. It's
            good for seeing what's happening behind the scenes, but can be
            distracting for normal use.