Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

red point on screen?

Expand Messages
  • sm4ive
    What is the red point that moves around on the screen?
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      What is the red point that moves around on the screen?
    • James Ewen
      That s the meatball! I think the author has some Italian in him! Actually Lynn calls it the red dot, which shows the forecast error of his Genius beaconing
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        That's the meatball! I think the author has some Italian in him!

        Actually Lynn calls it the red dot, which shows the forecast error of
        his Genius beaconing routine. I find it pretty "wonky", when watching
        it to try and figure out where the program thinks I am.

        Look in the wiki for Red Dot.

        James
        VE6SRV

        On 8/1/10, sm4ive <sm4ive@...> wrote:
        > What is the red point that moves around on the screen?
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >
        >
        >
      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh
        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/red-dot - Red Dot explanation Also http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/screen-features - Transmit Pressure Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/red-dot - Red Dot explanation

          Also

          http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/screen-features - Transmit Pressure

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

          sm4ive wrote:
          > What is the red point that moves around on the screen?
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
        • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh
          James, It s not where the program thinks you are, it s the error between where you are and where someone dead-reckoning you from your last position would think
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            James,

            It's not where the program thinks you are, it's the error between where
            you are and where someone dead-reckoning you from your last position
            would think you are. The circle scale is the Configure / Genius /
            Forecast Error and when the red dot hits the circle, a beacon will be
            sent (provided that it has been at least Configure / Genius / Min Time
            since the last one).

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

            PS. It's also there to give you something to watch and think about when
            you're bored on a long road trip. You can even play with your speed to
            see if you can make it move! Just remember that it jumps back to the
            center on every beacon.

            James Ewen wrote:
            > That's the meatball! I think the author has some Italian in him!
            >
            > Actually Lynn calls it the red dot, which shows the forecast error of
            > his Genius beaconing routine. I find it pretty "wonky", when watching
            > it to try and figure out where the program thinks I am.
            >
            > Look in the wiki for Red Dot.
            >
            > James
            > VE6SRV
            >
            > On 8/1/10, sm4ive <sm4ive@...> wrote:
            >
            >> What is the red point that moves around on the screen?
            >>
          • James Ewen
            Yeah, I know it s where others might assume you are. I have a heck of a time figuring out what the meatball is supposed to be telling me. I ve tried watching
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              Yeah, I know it's where others might assume you are. I have a heck of
              a time figuring out what the meatball is supposed to be telling me.
              I've tried watching it while driving down the road, but I don't think
              I've seen it hit the circle before bouncing back home.

              If I juimp on the gas, that meatball should fall behind until it hits
              the circle, then jump back to center as the next beacon updates speed
              and heading information. Jamming on the brakes would do the same, but
              the meatball should over run the direction you are headed. I think
              that this works.

              It's the heading deviation that seems to be wierd. I haven't played
              with it mobile for a while though.

              I'd still like to be able to get rid of the meatball and circle. It's
              good for seeing what's happening behind the scenes, but can be
              distracting for normal use.

              James
              VE6SRV

              On 8/1/10, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:
              > James,
              >
              > It's not where the program thinks you are, it's the error between where
              > you are and where someone dead-reckoning you from your last position
              > would think you are. The circle scale is the Configure / Genius /
              > Forecast Error and when the red dot hits the circle, a beacon will be
              > sent (provided that it has been at least Configure / Genius / Min Time
              > since the last one).
              >
              > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
              >
              > PS. It's also there to give you something to watch and think about when
              > you're bored on a long road trip. You can even play with your speed to
              > see if you can make it move! Just remember that it jumps back to the
              > center on every beacon.
              >
              > James Ewen wrote:
              >> That's the meatball! I think the author has some Italian in him!
              >>
              >> Actually Lynn calls it the red dot, which shows the forecast error of
              >> his Genius beaconing routine. I find it pretty "wonky", when watching
              >> it to try and figure out where the program thinks I am.
              >>
              >> Look in the wiki for Red Dot.
              >>
              >> James
              >> VE6SRV
              >>
              >> On 8/1/10, sm4ive <sm4ive@...> wrote:
              >>
              >>> What is the red point that moves around on the screen?
              >>>
              >
              >
              >
              > ------------------------------------
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >
              >
              >
              >
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.