Re: [aprsisce] Re: Questions on creating an object

  • Tony VE6MVP
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 10 3:24 PM
      At 04:04 PM 2013-02-10, James Ewen wrote:

      Allow the user to enter the data in whatever format is desired. If a decimal value is entered into one of the boxes, then any information (if entered) in the box(es) to the right is ignored. Your entry dialog box would look something like this:

      Inline image 1

      Agreed with a minor clarification.   There should be some text on that screen something like:
               Degrees and Minutes can include decimal portion.
      Otherwise newbies to the software will labouriously convert decimal degrees to Degrees, Minutes and Seconds.

      Tony
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 10 3:29 PM
        On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

        > Agreed with a minor clarification. There should be some text on that
        > screen something like:
        > Degrees and Minutes can include decimal portion.
        > Otherwise newbies to the software will labouriously convert decimal
        > degrees to Degrees, Minutes and Seconds.

        Yes, there would need to be a bit of text explaining things to the
        user. RadioMobile uses this exact entry method, and it works
        exceedingly well.

        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 11 7:25 AM
          I have found a couple of bad links on the WIKI and have fixed them. If you have trouble with a tile set, please list it here. I would be happy to fix it.

          The AEROMAP.US (aeronautical charts) has become a dead-end so it is know longer in the WIKI.
          And I found one of the ArcGIS links to be incorrect so it has been fixed.

          Thanks!
          Fred, N7FMH

          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 11 7:34 AM
            I should also add that the links are often changed at the server end. So while today the link might work, tomorrow it may not.

            I did the same thing the first time I tried it, but then that is why I tried it in a no-pressure situation first.

            Exactly.  I figured I'd muck with this long before I ever needed it.

            >Since my hands are old and shaky, and I am usually using a laptop with a touch pad,

            I *CAN"T* stand the frigging touch pad.  I always have a mouse with me.

            >I find it easiest to drag the map to the general coordinates I am interested in, and then switch to the cursor keys: UP/DOWN keys to zoom in and out, and CTRL-UP, CTRL-DOWN, CTRL-LEFT, CTRL-RIGHT to move the map in small increments until the coordinates match.

            Oh, that's an interesting idea.  Ok, I'll try that.   James, could you update the Wiki to include this technique.

            > If it is a location that isn't on a map (such as a farmhouse), I switch to MapQuest Aerial maps

            I'm a bit confused here.  Do you switch to these maps from within APRSIS32?  Or do you use these externally in a web browser?

            Tony

          • KE6BB
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 11 11:43 AM
              Re:
              > Thanks!
              > Fred, N7FMH

              No, Fred. Our thanks to you!!! We really appreciate your "snooping" these things out. Sorry to see the aero maps go. Was one of my favorite play toys.

              Mark
              KE6BB