Re: [aprsisce] Questions on creating an object

    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
      On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

      > 1) Configure > Create Object and it asks me to Create Object at Screen
      > Centre. I respond No because I will key in the lat & long (or so I think.)
      > Then that's it. My first response is WTF? That's kind of unfriendly
      > without giving me more of an explanation. Adding some text like "You must
      > position the screen centre to create an object." would be nice.

      This is Lynn's sandbox... we have to play the way he wants us to.
      There have been many requests to have the ability to enter lat/long
      information directly into a dialog box, but Lynn is still
      contemplating how to implement that type of functionality. If you look
      at just about everything you do with APRSISCE/32, if it has to do with
      the map, you have to center the map on what you want to deal with,
      then you choose the action. Very rarely can you click on a spot on the
      map and be able to perform some type of action at that point.

      > 2) In this particular instance I wanted to create an object that is a
      > farmers house which is an HF contest station. All that you can see on the
      > map is grid roads. I have the lat long from some raw APRS packets last
      > night and I just wanted to copy and paste those in. How can I do that?
      > Besides, presumably, updating the XML configuration file.

      If you want to directly enter information like that, you need to shut
      down the program, edit the XML file, and then start back up again. You
      could also use the test packet feature... hand craft an object for
      VE5RI with the packet format perfect, and then hit CTRL-P and paste
      your test packet into the dialog box. Your desired object will appear
      on the map.

      VE6SRV-14>APWW10,WIDE2-1:;VE5RI *111111z5307.84N/10951.28W-Len's
      Contest Station

      Done... http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:configure-objects

      > 3) I get a message stating ID and comment are required. I have no idea
      > what that means. There is no mention of ID in the Wiki create objects page
      > Putting something done in the second from the top field on the right hand
      > side clears that message but I have no idea what that field is for. Ahh, in
      > reading the create object page that is probably the Name field.

      Looks like Lynn ran out of room to put a label beside the Name (ID) input box.

      > 4) I'm assuming Comprs means packet compression? Not that it's a big deal
      > but that field isn't mentioned on the Create Objects page.

      We'll have to blame that on Steve and Lynn... I'm big into using
      screenshots so that you can reference what the screen looks like while
      reading the descriptions. I tend to build pages like this:
      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/direction-finding

      I'll see if I can make that wiki page a little more descriptive.

    • KE6BB
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
        Read James' response first. I might add a couple of tips:

        > That's
        > kind of unfriendly without giving me more of an explanation. Adding
        > some text like "You must position the screen centre to create an
        > object." would be nice.

        I did the same thing the first time I tried it, but then that is why I tried it in a no-pressure situation first. I had the same learning curve with UI-view, but it had a fabulous help system for EVERY screen, which was really nice. (I am NOT going back though!!!)

        > 2) In this particular instance I wanted to create an object that is a
        > farmers house which is an HF contest station. All that you can see
        > on the map is grid roads. I have the lat long from some raw APRS
        > packets last night and I just wanted to copy and paste those in.

        Since my hands are old and shaky, and I am usually using a laptop with a touch pad, I find it easiest to drag the map to the general coordinates I am interested in, and then switch to the cursor keys: UP/DOWN keys to zoom in and out, and CTRL-UP, CTRL-DOWN, CTRL-LEFT, CTRL-RIGHT to move the map in small increments until the coordinates match. It really takes longer to describe than to do it. I can now do it faster than using the copy-paste method. Once the object is positioned, I zoom in closer and check that it is where I want it. If not, I move it to where it should be (separate discussion, I'm sure). If it is a location that isn't on a map (such as a farmhouse), I switch to MapQuest Aerial maps and find the item in their "photo-maps" and move the object using those maps. If you zoom in far enough, you will be moving in such small increments that you will be smaller than the smallest increment available, so the object will not move. Can't get any better than that without resorting to techniques beyond this discussion!

        Mark
        KE6BB
      • Adam Mahnke
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
          There is the right click option.

          Zoom to where you want the object, right click, select the coordinates, create object here, and away you go.

          Objects always require an ID no matter what client you're using.

          Adam
          KC2ANT

          Read James' response first. I might add a couple of tips:

          > That's
          > kind of unfriendly without giving me more of an explanation. Adding
          > some text like "You must position the screen centre to create an
          > object." would be nice.

          I did the same thing the first time I tried it, but then that is why I tried it in a no-pressure situation first. I had the same learning curve with UI-view, but it had a fabulous help system for EVERY screen, which was really nice. (I am NOT going back though!!!)

          > 2) In this particular instance I wanted to create an object that is a
          > farmers house which is an HF contest station. All that you can see
          > on the map is grid roads. I have the lat long from some raw APRS
          > packets last night and I just wanted to copy and paste those in.

          Since my hands are old and shaky, and I am usually using a laptop with a touch pad, I find it easiest to drag the map to the general coordinates I am interested in, and then switch to the cursor keys: UP/DOWN keys to zoom in and out, and CTRL-UP, CTRL-DOWN, CTRL-LEFT, CTRL-RIGHT to move the map in small increments until the coordinates match. It really takes longer to describe than to do it. I can now do it faster than using the copy-paste method. Once the object is positioned, I zoom in closer and check that it is where I want it. If not, I move it to where it should be (separate discussion, I'm sure). If it is a location that isn't on a map (such as a farmhouse), I switch to MapQuest Aerial maps and find the item in their "photo-maps" and move the object using those maps. If you zoom in far enough, you will be moving in such small increments that you will be smaller than the smallest increment available, so the object will not move. Can't get any better than that without resorting to techniques beyond this discussion!

          Mark
          KE6BB

        • Tony VE6MVP
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
            At 10:03 AM 2013-02-10, James Ewen wrote:

            > 1) Configure > Create Object and it asks me to Create Object at Screen
            > Centre. I respond No because I will key in the lat & long (or so I think.)

            This is Lynn's sandbox... we have to play the way he wants us to.
            There have been many requests to have the ability to enter lat/long
            information directly into a dialog box, but Lynn is still
            contemplating how to implement that type of functionality.

            Among other things there are about four different ways of entering a lat long what with degrees and decimals, degrees, minutes and decimal, etc and grid square.

            Now I do agree that 99.9% of the time objects will be in an urban environment or on significant roads so they're easy to locate on the map.  This one just happened to be the 0.1% situation.  St

            Done... http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:configure-objects

            Thanks for the updates to the web pages.

            Tony
          • Tony VE6MVP
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
              At 11:01 AM 2013-02-10, KE6BB wrote:

              I did the same thing the first time I tried it, but then that is why I tried it in a no-pressure situation first.

              Exactly.  I figured I'd muck with this long before I ever needed it.

              >Since my hands are old and shaky, and I am usually using a laptop with a touch pad,

              I *CAN"T* stand the frigging touch pad.  I always have a mouse with me.

              >I find it easiest to drag the map to the general coordinates I am interested in, and then switch to the cursor keys: UP/DOWN keys to zoom in and out, and CTRL-UP, CTRL-DOWN, CTRL-LEFT, CTRL-RIGHT to move the map in small increments until the coordinates match.

              Oh, that's an interesting idea.  Ok, I'll try that.   James, could you update the Wiki to include this technique.

              > If it is a location that isn't on a map (such as a farmhouse), I switch to MapQuest Aerial maps

              I'm a bit confused here.  Do you switch to these maps from within APRSIS32?  Or do you use these externally in a web browser?

              Tony
            • Mark Petiford
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                APRISCE/APRSIS32 can use a number of different maps (map tiles), and you can switch from one to the other on the fly.  Take a look at:

                http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tile-sets

                I find that each tile set has its own strong and weak points, and the ability to switch on the fly is really nice.

                I am probably the the wrong person to be tutoring on the subject of using different tiles.  I find that I can get some of the ones listed to work, and others won't.

                Mark
                KE6BB

                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                  On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM, KE6BB <rv6amark@...> wrote:

                  > Since my hands are old and shaky, and I am usually using a laptop with a touch
                  > pad, I find it easiest to drag the map to the general coordinates I am interested in
                  >, and then switch to the cursor keys: UP/DOWN keys to zoom in and out, and
                  > CTRL-UP, CTRL-DOWN, CTRL-LEFT, CTRL-RIGHT to move the map in small
                  > increments until the coordinates match. It really takes longer to describe than
                  > to do it. I can now do it faster than using the copy-paste method. Once the object
                  > is positioned, I zoom in closer and check that it is where I want it. If not, I move
                  > it to where it should be (separate discussion, I'm sure).

                  Here in lies the problem...

                  Are you creating a new object (generic term, not necessarily an APRS
                  object), or trying to find out where that object is?

                  Let's pretend we are all standing in front of a big map on the wall.
                  There's a big X on the map which is labelled "You are here". We all
                  can see that big X on the map, and it is very easy for everyone to
                  understand where they are in relation to the map.

                  Now someone decides that it's time for a donut... "Where's the closest
                  Krispy Kreme?" they pipe up.

                  Someone else says, "Half a block west of the intersection of 5th
                  street, and 3rd avenue on the south side of the road."

                  What happens now? Maybe some people already know where it is located.
                  They are good to go, and start walking in the correct direction.
                  Others might be able to visualize where the donut shop is located, but
                  they still have to look closer at the map to see where it is in
                  relation to where they currently are. Still others who have no
                  knowledge of the area have to spend a bunch of time looking realy
                  closely at the map to read the street numbers, figure out where 5th
                  and 3rd intersect, and then determine how to get there from here.

                  Wouldn't have been much easier for all involved if someone just
                  pointed to the location on the map? Maybe even put a pushpin in the
                  map for everyone to see?

                  That's what we are talking about here. Someone has to know the
                  location of the Krispy Kreme to start with, and then locate it on the
                  map, but once the pushpin is stuck in the map, others simply have to
                  look for the pushpin, and don't have to worry about looking at the
                  street and avenue numbers.

                  If you have the latitude/longitude values given to you, it is easier
                  to simply enter the numbers into a dialog box and have the icon pop up
                  on the screen at the correct location than it is to
                  scroll/zoom/scroll/zoom/scroll/zoom until the coordinates display
                  matches the desired location.

                  Could you imagine how annoying it would be if APRSISCE/32 simply
                  created a list of stations on the left, with icons and lat/long
                  values, and it was up to you to have to scroll the map around to get
                  the lat/long values correct, and then drag the icon and place it on
                  the map?

                • Mark Petiford
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                    Re:  "If you have the latitude/longitude values given to you, it is easier
                    to simply enter the numbers into a dialog box and have the icon pop up
                    on the screen at the correct location than..."

                    Agreed!  I should have made it clear that I didn't mean to imply that what I do is better, or take the pressure off of Lynn <grin> to consider a "data entry" approach.  Just meant to provide an alternative until (hopefully) that is available.  I am sure that will cause us to repeat the old thread as to what format the Lat/Lon data should be in.  Oops, now I've done it!

                    Mark
                    KE6BB

                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                      On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Mark Petiford <rv6amark@...> wrote:

                      > Agreed!  I should have made it clear that I didn't mean to imply that what
                      > I do is better, or take the pressure off of Lynn <grin> to consider a "data
                      > entry" approach.  Just meant to provide an alternative until (hopefully)
                      > that is available.  I am sure that will cause us to repeat the old thread as
                      > to what format the Lat/Lon data should be in.  Oops, now I've done it!

                      There's no need to have a fight over what format the lat/long should be in... the APRS specification defines the format used internally.

                      However those silly users outside of the box can't get organized. So, why try and make the users change? Computers are supposed to make life easier for us.

                      Give the user 3 entry boxes for the degrees, minutes, and seconds.

                      Allow the user to enter the data in whatever format is desired. If a decimal value is entered into one of the boxes, then any information (if entered) in the box(es) to the right is ignored. Your entry dialog box would look something like this:

                      Inline image 1

                      Data entry into the boxes could be accepted in any of the formats below

                      Degrees

                      Minutes

                      Seconds

                      -113

                      17

                      27.00

                      -113

                      17.45

                      -113.2908

                      If a decimal value is entered into the degrees entry box, and the user has also entered values into the Minutes and Seconds boxes, the data in those boxes would be ignored. Another option would be to clear and grey out the boxes to the right of a box that has a decimal entered into it to show the user that the subsequent data will be ignored. Similar action would take place if whole degrees and decimal minutes values are entered... the seconds values would be greyed out/ignored.

                      With this entry method available, one does not have to worry about changing the program preferences, or converting between DDD.ddddd / DDD MM.mmm / DDD MM SS.sss to the required format before entry.

                    • Tony VE6MVP
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                        At 04:04 PM 2013-02-10, James Ewen wrote:

                        Allow the user to enter the data in whatever format is desired. If a decimal value is entered into one of the boxes, then any information (if entered) in the box(es) to the right is ignored. Your entry dialog box would look something like this:

                        Inline image 1

                        Agreed with a minor clarification.   There should be some text on that screen something like:
                                 Degrees and Minutes can include decimal portion.
                        Otherwise newbies to the software will labouriously convert decimal degrees to Degrees, Minutes and Seconds.

                        Tony
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                          On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

                          > Agreed with a minor clarification. There should be some text on that
                          > screen something like:
                          > Degrees and Minutes can include decimal portion.
                          > Otherwise newbies to the software will labouriously convert decimal
                          > degrees to Degrees, Minutes and Seconds.

                          Yes, there would need to be a bit of text explaining things to the
                          user. RadioMobile uses this exact entry method, and it works
                          exceedingly well.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 11, 2013
                            I have found a couple of bad links on the WIKI and have fixed them. If you have trouble with a tile set, please list it here. I would be happy to fix it.

                            The AEROMAP.US (aeronautical charts) has become a dead-end so it is know longer in the WIKI.
                            And I found one of the ArcGIS links to be incorrect so it has been fixed.

                            Thanks!
                            Fred, N7FMH

                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 11, 2013
                              I should also add that the links are often changed at the server end. So while today the link might work, tomorrow it may not.

                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 11, 2013
                                Re:
                                > Thanks!
                                > Fred, N7FMH

                                No, Fred. Our thanks to you!!! We really appreciate your "snooping" these things out. Sorry to see the aero maps go. Was one of my favorite play toys.

                                Mark
                                KE6BB