APRS Coverage Maps (was Re: [aprsisce] a couple of questions)

  • E.J. Caylor
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2013
      Lynn,
         A quick question for you.  How do you create these coverage maps?  Is this something that can be generated by APRSIS32?  I'd like to create one of these myself for my area for inclusion into an APRS presentation.

      Thanks,
      E.J.

      On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      You can check out my APRS coverage maps at the following URLs if you're interested in seeing the activity levels for an upcoming road trip:

      http://tinyurl.com/APRSAct24
      http://tinyurl.com/APRSAct00
      (Note that CoralCDN seems to be having issues for some people, so you may need to remove the ".nyud.net" from those tinyurl expansions)

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2013
        I have a completely independent server that pulls the APRS-IS (nearly) full feed into a local database and buffers up to 5 days (currently, it started at 30 days of just my local area) of data.  I have specialized tools that query this data and merge it with OpenStreetMap backgrounds.  I justify it as a way to test my company's memory-resident database with a large, dynamic data population.  The database server lives in 8+GB of RAM, hence the reduction in days buffered as my coverage area has increased.

        A parallel instance of the same process is the recipient of the raw RF feeds via UDP from every APRSISCE/32 IGate.  It also buffers up to 5 days, but only those packets that were received via the raw RF feed (augmented by a Florida coverage APRS-IS filter for obvious personal reasons).  This is the server that generates the individual IGate pages that I keep hoping to embed directly into APRSISCE/32.

        If you can give me a lat/lon rectangle and suitably descriptive name, I can generate the graphs for your area for your presentation.

        If you have a good RF-receiving instance of APRSISCE/32, you can get some pretty interesting pictures by playing with the various Screen / Paths / Appearance settings, but detailing those goes beyond this simple request.  Eventually http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/paths will have those details (any volunteers to write up a description?).

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2013
          On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

          > If you have a good RF-receiving instance of APRSISCE/32, you can get some
          > pretty interesting pictures by playing with the various Screen / Paths /
          > Appearance settings, but detailing those goes beyond this simple request.
          > Eventually http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/paths will have those details (any
          > volunteers to write up a description?).

          What do you need a wiki write up for? You just twiddle this thing,
          check that and the other thing, make this doo-dad red, and enable the
          whatchamatcallit. Simple as pie... Oh yeah, then to see it a different
          way just go through all that again but set it up differently.

          It's complicated enough to ensure that you have all the bits diddled
          the right way to get what you want on the screen, now you want me to
          describe what I did to get that... yeah right! :)

          Seriously, if you get into playing with the Screen|Paths section, you
          can get displays that come pretty close to what Lynn is making, but
          limited to what you can hear from your station.

          I spend a lot of time observing the network using the tools built into
          APRSISCE/32 via the Screen|Paths settings. I'm more interested in the
          way the network handles packets than I am in the end users sending the
          packets.

        • E.J. Caylor
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2013
            I've been doing the same here at W9NGC, fiddling with the path settings to see the coverage.  I just like the use of points for the presentation, as I feel that seeing a collection of red dots gives uninformed masses a clear understanding of the coverage holes than an array of vectors.  Just personal preference, really.

            Lynn,
               Thanks for the offer.  I'll send you coordinates off-list.

            E.J.