Scroller / Map Display

    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 8, 2013
      Greetings Lynn,

      Is there a way to have a station appear on the map but not in the scroller?

      I want to try something and want the display to be current but I don't want
      to fill the scroller with my test station.

      Thanks!

    • Adam Mahnke
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 8, 2013
        Configure->Scroller->Filter

        It takes the same filter structure as the javAPRS settings. I do this a lot running a full CONUS area filter, but have my scroller set to m/50 and then a few buddies.

        Adam
        KC2ANT

        To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 8, 2013
          Configure / Scroller / Filter... and make it "b/*
          -b/<IgnoreStation-SSID>" without the quotes and with appropriate
          substitution obviously.

          Note that the b/* is a unique filter term for APRSISCE/32's internal
          filtering. It matches ALL packets, but will NOT work with other APRS-IS
          servers. This gets the scroller to show everything but then the -b/
          term knocks out the station you don't want to see.

          If you just put the -b/ term, your scroller would go silent as you
          didn't have any additive terms. The default is to pass all for a blank
          filter, but any non-blank filter needs to explicitly pass some packets
          to avoid an empty scroller.

          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 8, 2013
            Sweet! I looked around thinking I could do this. It sounded really familiar but couldn't put my finger on it.

            Now that I learned something, can I go home? Never mind! We get to leave at noon today anyway because of a little weather. I think someone labeled it as a blizzard (storm Nemo).

            Configure / Scroller / Filter... and make it "b/*
            -b/ " without the quotes and with appropriate
            substitution obviously.

            Note that the b/* is a unique filter term for APRSISCE/32's internal
            filtering. It matches ALL packets, but will NOT work with other APRS-IS
            servers. This gets the scroller to show everything but then the -b/
            term knocks out the station you don't want to see.

            If you just put the -b/ term, your scroller would go silent as you
            didn't have any additive terms. The default is to pass all for a blank
            filter, but any non-blank filter needs to explicitly pass some packets
            to avoid an empty scroller.

            On 2/8/2013 9:55 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
            > Greetings Lynn,
            >

            > Is there a way to have a station appear on the map but not in the scroller?
            >
            > I want to try something and want the display to be current but I don't want
            > to fill the scroller with my test station.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Fred, N7FMH

          • Colin XSD
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 9, 2013
              I've started getting these warnings/errors showing up in my DireWolf display:

              So far I have only seen the warnings/errors appear on my own packets that I'm hearing being Digipeated, anyone have any idea if it a problem with my APRSIS64 setup or something the Digi is doing to my Packet?

              73,
              Colin
              M0XSD.
            • Bob Harris
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 9, 2013
                Re grid square: looks like John has an error in his code. Everything I have seen says the fifth and sixth characters are lower case letters.

                I have seen reports of "errors" (like the "Found 'D'...") on some packets received by DireWolf but aprsis32 handles the packets without a problem.

                --

                BobHarris (K9UDX)
                Bath, NH

              • Colin XSD
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 9, 2013
                  Hi Bob,

                  I think you are right, it looks like DireWolf isn't interpreting the DX report correctly, seeing the '/-' as a Symbol.

                  I can rule out that it is anything the Digi is doing since I have also now heard my own packet direct & I get the same result.

                  73,
                  Colin
                  M0XSD.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 9, 2013

                    Looks like John needs a bug report then, we are beta testing it after all

                    Steve Daniels

                    Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                    Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 9, 2013

                        John is a member of this group. Replied to Colin off list with Johns email address

                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 9, 2013
                          Copied back to the Group for any comments since I don't have a clue.

                          73,
                          Colin
                          M0XSD.

                          On 09/02/2013 18:40, John Langner WB2OSZ wrote:

                          Please refer to the APRS Protocol Reference, chapter 16.  http://aprs.org/doc/APRS101.PDF

                          Page 81:

                          The Maidenhead grid locator may be 4 or 6 characters long, and must

                          immediately follow the > Data Type Identifier.

                          All letters must be transmitted in upper case. Letters may be received in

                          upper case or lower case.”

                          Dire Wolf complains if lower case is found in the grid locator but still processes it the same as upper case.

                          The protocol reference also states the first character of status text must be a space:

                          “The Symbol Table Identifier and Symbol Code follow the locator.

                          If the report also contains status text, the first character of the text must be a

                          space.”

                          It even gives a couple examples showing this.

                          Perhaps there is some other later addendum that says a DX report doesn’t need to start with a space.

                          If you can point me to a suitable reference, I will take out the error message.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 9, 2013

                            Not having read the spec seems to me Dire Wolf is doing a reasonable thing, I will have a look through and see if there is an update.

                            But Lynn will probably know

                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 9, 2013

                                I must admit I usually see and characters after the first 6 as lowercase and as the spec said the should be received in both, I don’t see why it matters how they are transmitted

                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 9, 2013
                                  Folks

                                  So just for fun I decide to create a test object so I know what I'm doing.   Of course I have some questions and comments.  <smile>

                                  1) Configure > Create Object and it asks me to Create Object at Screen Centre.  I respond No because I will key in the lat & long (or so I think.)  Then that's it.  My first response is WTF?   That's kind of unfriendly without giving me more of an explanation.   Adding some text like "You must position the screen centre to create an object." would be nice.

                                  2) In this particular instance I wanted to create an object that is a farmers house which is an HF contest station.  All that you can see on the map is grid roads.   I have the lat long from some raw APRS packets last night and I just wanted to copy and paste those in.  How can I do that?   Besides, presumably, updating the XML configuration file.

                                  3)   http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:configure
                                  My eyes skipped right over some text on that page.  Could a wiki editor please change
                                           Create a new object at the centre of the screen. more information here createobject
                                  to something like
                                           Create a new object at the centre of the screen.
                                  And put an underline link at this entire sentence rather than having createobject in lower case without an intervening blank..

                                  3) I get a message stating ID and comment are required.  I have no idea what that means.   There is no mention of ID in the Wiki create objects page  Putting something done in the second from the top field on the right hand side clears that message but I have no idea what that field is for.  Ahh, in reading the create object page that is probably the Name field.

                                  4) I'm assuming Comprs means packet compression?  Not that it's a big deal but that field isn't mentioned on the Create Objects page.

                                  I'll probably have some more comments later when I think about things.  <smile>

                                  Tony

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                                    On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

                                    > 1) Configure > Create Object and it asks me to Create Object at Screen
                                    > Centre. I respond No because I will key in the lat & long (or so I think.)
                                    > Then that's it. My first response is WTF? That's kind of unfriendly
                                    > without giving me more of an explanation. Adding some text like "You must
                                    > position the screen centre to create an object." would be nice.

                                    This is Lynn's sandbox... we have to play the way he wants us to.
                                    There have been many requests to have the ability to enter lat/long
                                    information directly into a dialog box, but Lynn is still
                                    contemplating how to implement that type of functionality. If you look
                                    at just about everything you do with APRSISCE/32, if it has to do with
                                    the map, you have to center the map on what you want to deal with,
                                    then you choose the action. Very rarely can you click on a spot on the
                                    map and be able to perform some type of action at that point.

                                    > 2) In this particular instance I wanted to create an object that is a
                                    > farmers house which is an HF contest station. All that you can see on the
                                    > map is grid roads. I have the lat long from some raw APRS packets last
                                    > night and I just wanted to copy and paste those in. How can I do that?
                                    > Besides, presumably, updating the XML configuration file.

                                    If you want to directly enter information like that, you need to shut
                                    down the program, edit the XML file, and then start back up again. You
                                    could also use the test packet feature... hand craft an object for
                                    VE5RI with the packet format perfect, and then hit CTRL-P and paste
                                    your test packet into the dialog box. Your desired object will appear
                                    on the map.

                                    VE6SRV-14>APWW10,WIDE2-1:;VE5RI *111111z5307.84N/10951.28W-Len's
                                    Contest Station

                                    Done... http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:configure-objects

                                    > 3) I get a message stating ID and comment are required. I have no idea
                                    > what that means. There is no mention of ID in the Wiki create objects page
                                    > Putting something done in the second from the top field on the right hand
                                    > side clears that message but I have no idea what that field is for. Ahh, in
                                    > reading the create object page that is probably the Name field.

                                    Looks like Lynn ran out of room to put a label beside the Name (ID) input box.

                                    > 4) I'm assuming Comprs means packet compression? Not that it's a big deal
                                    > but that field isn't mentioned on the Create Objects page.

                                    We'll have to blame that on Steve and Lynn... I'm big into using
                                    screenshots so that you can reference what the screen looks like while
                                    reading the descriptions. I tend to build pages like this:
                                    http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/direction-finding

                                    I'll see if I can make that wiki page a little more descriptive.

                                  • KE6BB
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                                      Read James' response first. I might add a couple of tips:

                                      > That's
                                      > kind of unfriendly without giving me more of an explanation. Adding
                                      > some text like "You must position the screen centre to create an
                                      > object." would be nice.

                                      I did the same thing the first time I tried it, but then that is why I tried it in a no-pressure situation first. I had the same learning curve with UI-view, but it had a fabulous help system for EVERY screen, which was really nice. (I am NOT going back though!!!)

                                      > 2) In this particular instance I wanted to create an object that is a
                                      > farmers house which is an HF contest station. All that you can see
                                      > on the map is grid roads. I have the lat long from some raw APRS
                                      > packets last night and I just wanted to copy and paste those in.

                                      Since my hands are old and shaky, and I am usually using a laptop with a touch pad, I find it easiest to drag the map to the general coordinates I am interested in, and then switch to the cursor keys: UP/DOWN keys to zoom in and out, and CTRL-UP, CTRL-DOWN, CTRL-LEFT, CTRL-RIGHT to move the map in small increments until the coordinates match. It really takes longer to describe than to do it. I can now do it faster than using the copy-paste method. Once the object is positioned, I zoom in closer and check that it is where I want it. If not, I move it to where it should be (separate discussion, I'm sure). If it is a location that isn't on a map (such as a farmhouse), I switch to MapQuest Aerial maps and find the item in their "photo-maps" and move the object using those maps. If you zoom in far enough, you will be moving in such small increments that you will be smaller than the smallest increment available, so the object will not move. Can't get any better than that without resorting to techniques beyond this discussion!

                                      Mark
                                      KE6BB
                                    • Adam Mahnke
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                                        There is the right click option.

                                        Zoom to where you want the object, right click, select the coordinates, create object here, and away you go.

                                        Objects always require an ID no matter what client you're using.

                                        Adam
                                        KC2ANT

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                                          At 10:03 AM 2013-02-10, James Ewen wrote:

                                          > 1) Configure > Create Object and it asks me to Create Object at Screen
                                          > Centre. I respond No because I will key in the lat & long (or so I think.)

                                          This is Lynn's sandbox... we have to play the way he wants us to.
                                          There have been many requests to have the ability to enter lat/long
                                          information directly into a dialog box, but Lynn is still
                                          contemplating how to implement that type of functionality.

                                          Among other things there are about four different ways of entering a lat long what with degrees and decimals, degrees, minutes and decimal, etc and grid square.

                                          Now I do agree that 99.9% of the time objects will be in an urban environment or on significant roads so they're easy to locate on the map.  This one just happened to be the 0.1% situation.  St

                                          Done... http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:configure-objects

                                          Thanks for the updates to the web pages.

                                          Tony
                                        • Tony VE6MVP
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                                            At 11:01 AM 2013-02-10, KE6BB wrote:

                                            I did the same thing the first time I tried it, but then that is why I tried it in a no-pressure situation first.

                                            Exactly.  I figured I'd muck with this long before I ever needed it.

                                            >Since my hands are old and shaky, and I am usually using a laptop with a touch pad,

                                            I *CAN"T* stand the frigging touch pad.  I always have a mouse with me.

                                            >I find it easiest to drag the map to the general coordinates I am interested in, and then switch to the cursor keys: UP/DOWN keys to zoom in and out, and CTRL-UP, CTRL-DOWN, CTRL-LEFT, CTRL-RIGHT to move the map in small increments until the coordinates match.

                                            Oh, that's an interesting idea.  Ok, I'll try that.   James, could you update the Wiki to include this technique.

                                            > If it is a location that isn't on a map (such as a farmhouse), I switch to MapQuest Aerial maps

                                            I'm a bit confused here.  Do you switch to these maps from within APRSIS32?  Or do you use these externally in a web browser?

                                            Tony
                                          • Mark Petiford
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                                              APRISCE/APRSIS32 can use a number of different maps (map tiles), and you can switch from one to the other on the fly.  Take a look at:

                                              http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tile-sets

                                              I find that each tile set has its own strong and weak points, and the ability to switch on the fly is really nice.

                                              I am probably the the wrong person to be tutoring on the subject of using different tiles.  I find that I can get some of the ones listed to work, and others won't.

                                              Mark
                                              KE6BB

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                                                On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM, KE6BB <rv6amark@...> wrote:

                                                > Since my hands are old and shaky, and I am usually using a laptop with a touch
                                                > pad, I find it easiest to drag the map to the general coordinates I am interested in
                                                >, and then switch to the cursor keys: UP/DOWN keys to zoom in and out, and
                                                > CTRL-UP, CTRL-DOWN, CTRL-LEFT, CTRL-RIGHT to move the map in small
                                                > increments until the coordinates match. It really takes longer to describe than
                                                > to do it. I can now do it faster than using the copy-paste method. Once the object
                                                > is positioned, I zoom in closer and check that it is where I want it. If not, I move
                                                > it to where it should be (separate discussion, I'm sure).

                                                Here in lies the problem...

                                                Are you creating a new object (generic term, not necessarily an APRS
                                                object), or trying to find out where that object is?

                                                Let's pretend we are all standing in front of a big map on the wall.
                                                There's a big X on the map which is labelled "You are here". We all
                                                can see that big X on the map, and it is very easy for everyone to
                                                understand where they are in relation to the map.

                                                Now someone decides that it's time for a donut... "Where's the closest
                                                Krispy Kreme?" they pipe up.

                                                Someone else says, "Half a block west of the intersection of 5th
                                                street, and 3rd avenue on the south side of the road."

                                                What happens now? Maybe some people already know where it is located.
                                                They are good to go, and start walking in the correct direction.
                                                Others might be able to visualize where the donut shop is located, but
                                                they still have to look closer at the map to see where it is in
                                                relation to where they currently are. Still others who have no
                                                knowledge of the area have to spend a bunch of time looking realy
                                                closely at the map to read the street numbers, figure out where 5th
                                                and 3rd intersect, and then determine how to get there from here.

                                                Wouldn't have been much easier for all involved if someone just
                                                pointed to the location on the map? Maybe even put a pushpin in the
                                                map for everyone to see?

                                                That's what we are talking about here. Someone has to know the
                                                location of the Krispy Kreme to start with, and then locate it on the
                                                map, but once the pushpin is stuck in the map, others simply have to
                                                look for the pushpin, and don't have to worry about looking at the
                                                street and avenue numbers.

                                                If you have the latitude/longitude values given to you, it is easier
                                                to simply enter the numbers into a dialog box and have the icon pop up
                                                on the screen at the correct location than it is to
                                                scroll/zoom/scroll/zoom/scroll/zoom until the coordinates display
                                                matches the desired location.

                                                Could you imagine how annoying it would be if APRSISCE/32 simply
                                                created a list of stations on the left, with icons and lat/long
                                                values, and it was up to you to have to scroll the map around to get
                                                the lat/long values correct, and then drag the icon and place it on
                                                the map?

                                              • Mark Petiford
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                                                  Re:  "If you have the latitude/longitude values given to you, it is easier
                                                  to simply enter the numbers into a dialog box and have the icon pop up
                                                  on the screen at the correct location than..."

                                                  Agreed!  I should have made it clear that I didn't mean to imply that what I do is better, or take the pressure off of Lynn <grin> to consider a "data entry" approach.  Just meant to provide an alternative until (hopefully) that is available.  I am sure that will cause us to repeat the old thread as to what format the Lat/Lon data should be in.  Oops, now I've done it!

                                                  Mark
                                                  KE6BB

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                                                    On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Mark Petiford <rv6amark@...> wrote:

                                                    > Agreed!  I should have made it clear that I didn't mean to imply that what
                                                    > I do is better, or take the pressure off of Lynn <grin> to consider a "data
                                                    > entry" approach.  Just meant to provide an alternative until (hopefully)
                                                    > that is available.  I am sure that will cause us to repeat the old thread as
                                                    > to what format the Lat/Lon data should be in.  Oops, now I've done it!

                                                    There's no need to have a fight over what format the lat/long should be in... the APRS specification defines the format used internally.

                                                    However those silly users outside of the box can't get organized. So, why try and make the users change? Computers are supposed to make life easier for us.

                                                    Give the user 3 entry boxes for the degrees, minutes, and seconds.

                                                    Allow the user to enter the data in whatever format is desired. If a decimal value is entered into one of the boxes, then any information (if entered) in the box(es) to the right is ignored. Your entry dialog box would look something like this:

                                                    Inline image 1

                                                    Data entry into the boxes could be accepted in any of the formats below

                                                    Degrees

                                                    Minutes

                                                    Seconds

                                                    -113

                                                    17

                                                    27.00

                                                    -113

                                                    17.45

                                                    -113.2908

                                                    If a decimal value is entered into the degrees entry box, and the user has also entered values into the Minutes and Seconds boxes, the data in those boxes would be ignored. Another option would be to clear and grey out the boxes to the right of a box that has a decimal entered into it to show the user that the subsequent data will be ignored. Similar action would take place if whole degrees and decimal minutes values are entered... the seconds values would be greyed out/ignored.

                                                    With this entry method available, one does not have to worry about changing the program preferences, or converting between DDD.ddddd / DDD MM.mmm / DDD MM SS.sss to the required format before entry.

                                                  • Tony VE6MVP
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                                                      At 04:04 PM 2013-02-10, James Ewen wrote:

                                                      Allow the user to enter the data in whatever format is desired. If a decimal value is entered into one of the boxes, then any information (if entered) in the box(es) to the right is ignored. Your entry dialog box would look something like this:

                                                      Inline image 1

                                                      Agreed with a minor clarification.   There should be some text on that screen something like:
                                                               Degrees and Minutes can include decimal portion.
                                                      Otherwise newbies to the software will labouriously convert decimal degrees to Degrees, Minutes and Seconds.

                                                      Tony
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                                                        On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

                                                        > Agreed with a minor clarification. There should be some text on that
                                                        > screen something like:
                                                        > Degrees and Minutes can include decimal portion.
                                                        > Otherwise newbies to the software will labouriously convert decimal
                                                        > degrees to Degrees, Minutes and Seconds.

                                                        Yes, there would need to be a bit of text explaining things to the
                                                        user. RadioMobile uses this exact entry method, and it works
                                                        exceedingly well.

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Feb 11, 2013
                                                          I have found a couple of bad links on the WIKI and have fixed them. If you have trouble with a tile set, please list it here. I would be happy to fix it.

                                                          The AEROMAP.US (aeronautical charts) has become a dead-end so it is know longer in the WIKI.
                                                          And I found one of the ArcGIS links to be incorrect so it has been fixed.

                                                          Thanks!
                                                          Fred, N7FMH

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Feb 11, 2013
                                                            I should also add that the links are often changed at the server end. So while today the link might work, tomorrow it may not.

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Feb 11, 2013
                                                              Re:
                                                              > Thanks!
                                                              > Fred, N7FMH

                                                              No, Fred. Our thanks to you!!! We really appreciate your "snooping" these things out. Sorry to see the aero maps go. Was one of my favorite play toys.

                                                              Mark
                                                              KE6BB