OT: Maperative / JOSM

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2013
      Greetings,

      Anyone here use Maperative and JOSM?

      From a little research, it appears that data that OSM uses can be downloaded
      and converted to tiles.

      Apparently, JOSM has to be used as well.

      I imagine downloading the data is less of an impact on the OSM servers. And,
      tiles, at any zoom level, are renderable.

      The thought is that while building a tile server is daunting and requires
      lots of hardware, rendering the tiles for personal consumption is a good way
      to go.

      If you have experience, I'd like to hear from you.

      Thanks!

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2013
        On 2/7/2013 2:16 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
        > I imagine downloading the data is less of an impact on the OSM servers. And,
        > tiles, at any zoom level, are renderable.

        Personally, I believe this will be true only until a bunch of us OSM
        tile consumers switch over to querying the API and then they'll discover
        that their API servers are running out of CPU/disk resources instead of
        their tile servers running out of bandwidth.

        Keep me appraised of your progress anyway. Especially if you can come
        up with a tool that can be used to pre-generate a set of tiles across
        multiple zoom levels for a given lat/lon bounding box with local
        rendering generating the typical tile file directory tree.

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2013
          Gaagh! Clicked the wrong place and sent prematurely.

          In theory, once the information is rendered, only new data would trigger re-rendering particular tiles.

          I haven't explored in this direction for quite awhile. I stumbled back on it while looking to merge 3 tiles into 1. I did find an answer for it. Currently I don't have much use for those particular tiles since they are in the western US. But, someone living in Colorado and on the west coast might find it interesting.

          Anyway, back to the investigation.

          > On 2/7/2013 2:16 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
          > > I imagine downloading the data is less of an impact on the OSM servers. And,
          > > tiles, at any zoom level, are renderable.
          >
          > Personally, I believe this will be true only until a bunch of us OSM
          > tile consumers switch over to querying the API and then they'll discover
          > that their API servers are running out of CPU/disk resources instead of
          > their tile servers running out of bandwidth.

          I had thought of something like that but not quite in those terms. I suspect the data set is still smaller in size than the equivalent area in 0 - 16(or 18) in tiles.

          > Keep me appraised of your progress anyway. Especially if you can come
          > up with a tool that can be used to pre-generate a set of tiles across
          > multiple zoom levels for a given lat/lon bounding box with local
          > rendering generating the typical tile file directory tree.

          I came across a tool to merge tiles together. I took colored relief, added contours, then placed features on it. The results was a single tile rather than 3. I could then use it in APRSIS32.

          The process was fast, fast enough anyway, once I figured out what to do.

          While investigating this action, I saw mention of the above self-rendering possibility.

          In theory, I can render a large area of interest up front and then add new data