Re: kenwood tm-710

  • ltdoc
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
      There is a fairly steep learning curve with any radio that does multiple things and uses a menu system. If the radio has features that you want then I would definitely consider it. Most of the 'variable' features are a set it and forget it thingy, but not all of them of course. Download the manual for several different radios and compare them, there won't be a huge difference between them. I have more trouble with cell phones than radios... in general.
      - 'Doc
    • Tony VE6MVP
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2013
        At 09:59 PM 2013-02-03, ltdoc wrote:

        There is a fairly steep learning curve with any radio that does multiple things and uses a menu system. If the radio has features that you want then I would definitely consider it. Most of the 'variable' features are a set it and forget it thingy, but not all of them of course. Download the manual for several different radios and compare them, there won't be a huge difference between them. I have more trouble with cell phones than radios... in general.

        Good points.   The highlight of the 710 is the TNC.   The capabilities of that functionality far exceed that currently in the competitor FTM-350.  My understanding is that for example the FTM-350, currently, has read only APRS packets.  So you can't use it to transmit data or messages from your computer.

        The Kenwood TNC lets me happily transmit messages from my computer and I've successfully used it for Winlink 2000 VHF email.

        Tony
      • Norm Huber
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2013
          On 2/3/2013 22:59, ltdoc wrote:

          > There is a fairly steep learning curve with any radio that does multiple
          > things and uses a menu system. If the radio has features that you want
          > then I would definitely consider it. Most of the 'variable' features are
          > a set it and forget it thingy, but not all of them of course. Download
          > the manual for several different radios and compare them, there won't be
          > a huge difference between them. I have more trouble with cell phones
          > than radios... in general.
          > - 'Doc

          Use a computer program to set all the settings with the manual at hand
          so you understand what you are setting. Save the file and all you have
          to do is hook up the cable and hit send.
          I use ARRL's Travel Plus to make list of repeaters on my intended path
          and download to my radio (D700's and D7's) as I travel across the country.
          Same thing with my Wouxun HT. Use the computer and you can see What you
          are doing and have done when the fingers miss the key.

          - Norm - N9ZKS - Central Illinois
          - Motorcyclist, Bicyclist, Ham, Scouter
          - '05 Goldwing - Yellow - Rex - 141,000 miles
          - '87 Goldwing Interstate - Lagniappe Too - 66,000 miles
          - LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER!
          - IBA 25533, MARC, WOTI, GWRRA, AMA, ARRL
          -
          http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=n9zks-5,n9zks-9,n9zks-10&radar=***