kenwood tm-710

  • JR
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
      I get there is a steep learning curve for this radio should i avoid it

      Thank
      Preston
    • JR
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
        I get there is a steep learning curve for this radio should i avoid it

        Thank
        Preston
      • Tony VE6MVP
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
          At 07:13 PM 2013-02-03, JR wrote:

          I get there is a steep learning curve for this radio should i avoid it

          The D710 has it's quirks but APRSIS32 and RMS Express, Winlink 2000 email, know all about the D710 radio.  The first time I hooked up RMS Express and tried it it worked.  I was kind of disappoined with how easy it was as I figured I'd learn more if it didn't work the fist time.  <smile>

          Quite honestly there's more of a learning curve with APRIS32 than the Kenwood as you figure out the ports and such.

          Note that once APRSIS is running smoothly it will change the packet mode display from whatever it was to APRS.  RMS Express changes it to PACKET.  Which is excellent behavior as that is one less thing for you to concern yourself with.

          Tony
        • ltdoc
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
            There is a fairly steep learning curve with any radio that does multiple things and uses a menu system. If the radio has features that you want then I would definitely consider it. Most of the 'variable' features are a set it and forget it thingy, but not all of them of course. Download the manual for several different radios and compare them, there won't be a huge difference between them. I have more trouble with cell phones than radios... in general.
            - 'Doc
          • Tony VE6MVP
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2013
              At 09:59 PM 2013-02-03, ltdoc wrote:

              There is a fairly steep learning curve with any radio that does multiple things and uses a menu system. If the radio has features that you want then I would definitely consider it. Most of the 'variable' features are a set it and forget it thingy, but not all of them of course. Download the manual for several different radios and compare them, there won't be a huge difference between them. I have more trouble with cell phones than radios... in general.

              Good points.   The highlight of the 710 is the TNC.   The capabilities of that functionality far exceed that currently in the competitor FTM-350.  My understanding is that for example the FTM-350, currently, has read only APRS packets.  So you can't use it to transmit data or messages from your computer.

              The Kenwood TNC lets me happily transmit messages from my computer and I've successfully used it for Winlink 2000 VHF email.

              Tony
            • Norm Huber
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 5, 2013
                On 2/3/2013 22:59, ltdoc wrote:

                > There is a fairly steep learning curve with any radio that does multiple
                > things and uses a menu system. If the radio has features that you want
                > then I would definitely consider it. Most of the 'variable' features are
                > a set it and forget it thingy, but not all of them of course. Download
                > the manual for several different radios and compare them, there won't be
                > a huge difference between them. I have more trouble with cell phones
                > than radios... in general.
                > - 'Doc

                Use a computer program to set all the settings with the manual at hand
                so you understand what you are setting. Save the file and all you have
                to do is hook up the cable and hit send.
                I use ARRL's Travel Plus to make list of repeaters on my intended path
                and download to my radio (D700's and D7's) as I travel across the country.
                Same thing with my Wouxun HT. Use the computer and you can see What you
                are doing and have done when the fingers miss the key.

                - Norm - N9ZKS - Central Illinois
                - Motorcyclist, Bicyclist, Ham, Scouter
                - '05 Goldwing - Yellow - Rex - 141,000 miles
                - '87 Goldwing Interstate - Lagniappe Too - 66,000 miles
                - LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER!
                - IBA 25533, MARC, WOTI, GWRRA, AMA, ARRL
                -
                http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=n9zks-5,n9zks-9,n9zks-10&radar=***