RE: [aprsisce] Multiple Settings Profiles

    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 29, 2013
      I was thinking mainly along the lines of what might be simple and therefore might might be added at some point. If it is complicated then it possibly falls lower (maybe to the bottom) in the queue of the To-Do list providing there is enough reasoning to justify it.

      Working with the XML is already something Lynn does. Switching them out is more of an extension of current activity rather than a whole new process, such as macros. As a total noob programmer, saving a file is simple, adding macro stuff is not. Lynn certainly isn't a noob so he may already have something up his sleeve.

      Now Lynn has been suggesting that a LUA interface of sorts will be added. This may be along the lines of what you are thinking of. As I understand it, it would require the user to understand a programming language to some extent. That will keep a fair number of users away. The XML is almost simple enough for users not interested in LUA to implement.

      A example of profiles is on the OpenTrackers I own. There are two profiles available. There is a button to copy one to the other. I always do that first, then I modify one of the profiles for whatever I need. While they are running, the profile can be changed on the fly. Scott has added some scripting ability as well which is along the lines of the LUA interface above.

      Regardless of how profiles might be implemented, it is operator beware. The current default or multiples of it don't really change that. And, of course the support may be onerous, but we are all here to help. :)

      I suspect those that are interested in profiles will spend the time to organize them. But, maybe not a lot of time given that most users seem to set APRS up with a lot of help and never touch it again or learn more about it. I have a few tile sets, okay, way more than a few. To manage the tiles has become an interesting task but I think I have got it under control finally. I don't see the profile management as much different except that rather than lots of tile sets, I'll have only a few profiles.

      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 30, 2013
        On 1/30/2013 6:59 AM, Colin XSD wrote:
        > On 30/01/2013 02:15, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
        >> Has anyone ever gotten the startup warning that the configuration was
        >> saved by a later version of APRSISCE/32 and warned that it might not be
        >> reliable to go backwards in versions?
        > Yes Lynn, many times, I just ignored it:S. It has never caused me any
        > concern.
        >
        > I think I normally see that warning when I cut & paste bits into a new
        > xml file but forget to change the 'Dev' flag.

        Yep, that would do it as the general release is nearly always lagging
        being the development version. I just wanted to make sure that the
        reversion detection code was actually working in light of the recent
        discussion of multiple configurations and XML files and preserved
        settings. I attempt to do backward compatibility by
        migrating/converting/upgraded XML settings in the new versions. But
        sometimes that conversion is one-way and if you take an upgraded XML and
        load it into a back-level version, those settings may revert to default
        values. Hence the warning. Nothing particularly "bad" will happen, but
        your settings may not be as you expect.