Re: webdt366 to tt4

  • keehan_dowd
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2013
      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "catjal2000" wrote:

      > ve6xvk how did you connect the tinytrak4 to the webdt366
      > did you use a usb to serial adapter? what Ver. of aspis did you
      > use apreisce or the windows ver.?

      Hello,

      As Lynn answered, I'm running WinXP so I use APRSIS32.

      In regards to the USB-to-Serial adapter, I went through a couple of cheapie eBay Prolific PL-2303 chipset knockoffs. They were terribly cheap (well under $10 each) and they were terribly unreliable! Later, I learned that there is a big problem with the Prolific chipset being badly copied by Chinese manufacturers and then flooding the el-cheapo market. The Prolific website even says that you should beware of these copies and only trust "vendor branded" devices: http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41
      I ended up spending a few more dollars and bought this:
      http://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-USB-to-Serial-Adapter/product_837560_2-CA_1_20001 This Staples product has been 100% reliable and is almost continually active 24/7.

      Ideally, I'd like to move to Bluetooth, and I have the harware laying in the junk box to do it, but I've a thousand other things on the to-do list ahead of it! :-)

      Regards,
      Keehan - VE6XVK