webdt366 to tt4

  • catjal2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2013
      ve6xvk how did you connect the tinytrak4 to the webdt366
      did you use a usb to serial adapter? what Ver. of aspis did you
      use apreisce or the windows ver.?
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 28, 2013
        On 1/28/2013 1:02 PM, catjal2000 wrote:
        > what Ver. of aspis did you use apreisce or the windows ver.?

        That decision is made by what Windows version you have running on the
        WebDT366. If you are running Windows CE 5.0, then you need the WebDT
        build for that O/S (APRSISCE5x86.exe). If you are running Windows XP,
        then you want APRSIS32.exe. Both of these are available from
        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/downloads

      • keehan_dowd
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 28, 2013
          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "catjal2000" wrote:

          > ve6xvk how did you connect the tinytrak4 to the webdt366
          > did you use a usb to serial adapter? what Ver. of aspis did you
          > use apreisce or the windows ver.?

          Hello,

          As Lynn answered, I'm running WinXP so I use APRSIS32.

          In regards to the USB-to-Serial adapter, I went through a couple of cheapie eBay Prolific PL-2303 chipset knockoffs. They were terribly cheap (well under $10 each) and they were terribly unreliable! Later, I learned that there is a big problem with the Prolific chipset being badly copied by Chinese manufacturers and then flooding the el-cheapo market. The Prolific website even says that you should beware of these copies and only trust "vendor branded" devices: http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41
          I ended up spending a few more dollars and bought this:
          http://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-USB-to-Serial-Adapter/product_837560_2-CA_1_20001 This Staples product has been 100% reliable and is almost continually active 24/7.

          Ideally, I'd like to move to Bluetooth, and I have the harware laying in the junk box to do it, but I've a thousand other things on the to-do list ahead of it! :-)

          Regards,
          Keehan - VE6XVK