RE: [aprsisce] Multiple Settings Profiles (named)

  • Robert Bruninga
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2013
      > With proper shortcuts in a single place, it's just about as easy
      > to close an instance and open a different one as it is to figure out
      > which PM number has the settings you're looking for this time...

      It will be most useful if the profiles are -named-, not just a number.

      > Am I still missing something? Or what is the actual use case
      > for easily switching (some) configuration parameters for different
      > modes of operation that requires explicit multi-configuration support in
      > APRSISCE/32?

      Lemme see. Everytime I sit down in front of APRS, I usually have an intent
      and a need for information. And those needs are typically as varied as is
      Ham Radio. Remember, APRS is just a tool across ALL amateur radio
      activities. Here might be some profiles:

      LOCAL:
      Regioinal:
      EVENT
      Balloons
      Propagation
      Network
      Global
      Remote
      Live
      messaging
      Statistical

      That is just a first guess. Since APRSISCE is such a powerful tool, and
      full of a plethora of features, then in each instance of
      "what-I-Want-to-do-now" I am sure there are multiple settings to optimize
      the flow of information to the human operator in each case. Rather than
      have to remember and dig out and change all those details eachtime, it would
      be useful to have the ability to personalize some profies that match my
      common usages.

      Aside (not related to the above typically map based views)..

      My frequent use of APRS is the last one. "Statistical". That is listing
      and sorting what my station has heard at any instant by any of their 18 or
      more attributes, so I can quickly find what I am looking for in a
      big-picture concept or detail analysis. It requires a common tabular
      representation of data where a single click on a column can arrange the data
      in meaningful ways for quick isolation of the data I am looking for.

      Hope that helps.
      Bob, WB4aPR