Re: [aprsisce] Explicit message when port can't be opened

    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 26, 2013
      As long as  you disable sounds, yes.  Otherwise you'll get repeated bongs as the non-connected ports keep going through their retries.  Seems like an extreme solution to me.

      A better one would be to determine why Windows keeps changing the device name for a given port so that it's always the same and doesn't fail to open to start with.

      Making the error message more visible isn't going to make the connection more reliable, especially if you ever go to unattended restart.  You really need to get the hardware device names to be stabilized so that the software configuration knows what it can rely on.  Even if that means using a different adapter that doesn't keep changing it's name.

      On 1/26/2013 8:34 PM, Greg D wrote:
      Perhaps a solution in here?  If the com ports end up in a reasonably sized range, how about creating otherwise-identical APRSIS ports for all of the possible places, so it won't matter which one it lands on?  Probably best via copy/paste/tweak in the XML file.

      Would that work?

      Greg  KO6TH

      Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

      Some users of the software keep RF ports configured but not connected, some via USB to serial adapters that they purposely unplug, some via Bluetooth that they move out of range of, and others, like yourself, that have serial ports that change across reboots (although more often, the port ID changes when USB to serial adapters are plugged into different ports).

      {snip}

      Lynn

      For unknown reasons my PC will sometimes change the COM port on me on a reboot.   However APRSIS32 doesn't give an explicit message stating it couldn't open the port.   Of course I do see some differences on the screen when this happens but they can be subtle at times.  For example nearby RF stations don't have the *2 behind the call sign.  In my opinion I feel it would be better to give the user an explicit message when a com port can't be opened.

      Below is a sample log file entry

      Port(KwdD710):2013-01-26T22:51:28.851 Opening COM22:9600,N,8,1
      Port(KwdD710):2013-01-26T22:51:28.851 Opening COM22 with 4 Args
      Port(KwdD710):2013-01-26T22:51:28.851 Opening COM22 Got -1 Error 2
      Port(KwdD710):2013-01-26T22:51:28.851 Status 0 Error 0 At 228 in c:\compass\code\aprs\aprsisce\cprtns.c
      Port(KwdD710):2013-01-26T22:51:28.851 Error Opening COM22:9600,N,8,1 LastError 0

      Tony

  • Rob Giuliano
    Message 34 of 34 , Jan 27, 2013
      If the issue is with the PC, maybe the solution is also with the PC?

      This seems to come up a lot.
      I know there are ways of configuring thumb drives to always be a particular drive letter, maybe there is a mechanism to force the interface to always be a certain comm port -> there is in Linux, based on parameters that are supplied by the USB device.

      I haven't looked, but I might suggest a web search on the subject.
      Maybe a request into Microsoft.

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO