Re: [aprsisce] Multiple Settings Profiles

    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 25, 2013
      On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM, N5TEV <N5TEV@...> wrote:

      > I was contemplating changing several of my settings the other day (for mobile
      > ops from a sailboat), and I realized several things that I might manually want
      > to change (SSID, map tile set, APRS icon, path, etc.) on a recurring basis.
      > I then thought about the paradigm that the Kenwood Radios (D700, D710)
      > utilize with their Programmable Memories (PMs)

      Uh-oh, there's that can of worms opened up again! :)

      You're going to get a big list of reasons why settings can't be
      changed while the program is running, and suggestions to just run
      multiple copies of the program instead.

      There are a few of us that have already been down this path...

      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 30, 2013
        On 1/30/2013 6:59 AM, Colin XSD wrote:
        > On 30/01/2013 02:15, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
        >> Has anyone ever gotten the startup warning that the configuration was
        >> saved by a later version of APRSISCE/32 and warned that it might not be
        >> reliable to go backwards in versions?
        > Yes Lynn, many times, I just ignored it:S. It has never caused me any
        > concern.
        >
        > I think I normally see that warning when I cut & paste bits into a new
        > xml file but forget to change the 'Dev' flag.

        Yep, that would do it as the general release is nearly always lagging
        being the development version. I just wanted to make sure that the
        reversion detection code was actually working in light of the recent
        discussion of multiple configurations and XML files and preserved
        settings. I attempt to do backward compatibility by
        migrating/converting/upgraded XML settings in the new versions. But
        sometimes that conversion is one-way and if you take an upgraded XML and
        load it into a back-level version, those settings may revert to default
        values. Hence the warning. Nothing particularly "bad" will happen, but
        your settings may not be as you expect.