WIndows CE 5/6

  • blackcatsub
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 28, 2010
      I am wondering if the current version of this software will run under Windows CE 5/6 ?

      Kevin
    • Kevin Groce
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 28, 2010
        More details is that it is CE.net 5.0 mini-itx thin client

        I move the file over to the device and it says it is not a valid CE app.

        If I have to start for scratch I can learn how.

        I have VS 2005 , Windows CE 6.0. & the BSP for this mini-itx board.

        Kevin

        Sometimes the truth about things reveals itself only when we look back
        at the photographs.

        No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain

        On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:22 PM, blackcatsub <krgroce@...> wrote:
        > I am wondering if the current version of this software will run under Windows CE 5/6 ?
        >

        > Kevin

      • Colin Catlin
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 29, 2010
          I have APRSISCE currently  running on Windows Mobile Version 5.0 OS 5.1.1702 (Build 14366.1.0.1) &
          Windows Mobile 6 Professional CE OS 5.2.1948 (Build 18548.0.7.0).

          73,
          Colin.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 29, 2010
            Kevin,

            APRSISCE runs on Windows Mobile 5, 6, 6.1, and 6.5 to my knowledge. I'm
            planning a build for CE 3.0 at some point in the future.

            If you've got the capability to build your own CE image, just include
            all of the APIs that are included in Windows Mobile and it should run.
            (If that's what the BSP is?)

            I don't know if there's a tool to check DLL and entry point requirements
            for CE applications, but I suspect that there's at least one API,
            probably a Shell or Connection Manager API, that isn't in your CE build.

            APRSISCE is not open source, so I cannot provide the source to you to do
            your own build. But if you have a standard SDK for that platform's CE
            build, I can compile with it and help you see what's missing.

            What is the actual hardware and software? Is it commercially available
            and do they provide an SDK for their CE build?

            Kevin Groce wrote:
            > More details is that it is CE.net 5.0 mini-itx thin client
            >
            > I move the file over to the device and it says it is not a valid CE app.
            >
            > If I have to start for scratch I can learn how.
            >
            > I have VS 2005 , Windows CE 6.0. & the BSP for this mini-itx board.
            >

            > Kevin
            >

            > Sometimes the truth about things reveals itself only when we look back
            > at the photographs.
            >
            > No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain
            >

            > On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:22 PM, blackcatsub <krgroce@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I am wondering if the current version of this software will run under Windows CE 5/6 ?
            >>

            >> Kevin

          • Rick
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 29, 2010
              Hi Lynn is the OS-Windows Mobile 6.5 Pro any different than the 6.5 that you have listed, the new Tilt 2 has the PRO version on it.

              Thanks
              Rick

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 29, 2010
                Pro just means it comes with the Mobile Office products and a few other
                standard apps. The underlying API is the same between Standard and
                Pro. There are people running the client on the Tilt 2 (and I'm almost
                drooling for my old Tilt to die so I have an excuse to upgrade!).

              • kd4dra@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 29, 2010
                  I'll be going from BB to the tilt 2 tomorrow, may need some extra help with it. You want me drive down there or you comming up here. GRiN that's big grin

                  From: "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...>
                  Sender: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 18:04:14 -0400
                  To: <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: WIndows CE 5/6

                  Rick wrote:

                  > Hi Lynn is the OS-Windows Mobile 6.5 Pro any different than the 6.5 that you have listed, the new Tilt 2 has the PRO version on it.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Rick
                  >

                  > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Kevin,
                  >>
                  >> APRSISCE runs on Windows Mobile 5, 6, 6.1, and 6.5 to my knowledge. I'm
                  >> planning a build for CE 3.0 at some point in the future.
                  >>
                  >> If you've got the capability to build your own CE image, just include
                  >> all of the APIs that are included in Windows Mobile and it should run.
                  >> (If that's what the BSP is?)
                  >>
                  >> I don't know if there's a tool to check DLL and entry point requirements
                  >> for CE applications, but I suspect that there's at least one API,
                  >> probably a Shell or Connection Manager API, that isn't in your CE build.
                  >>
                  >> APRSISCE is not open source, so I cannot provide the source to you to do
                  >> your own build. But if you have a standard SDK for that platform's CE
                  >> build, I can compile with it and help you see what's missing.
                  >>
                  >> What is the actual hardware and software? Is it commercially available
                  >> and do they provide an SDK for their CE build?

                  >> Kevin Groce wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> More details is that it is CE.net 5.0 mini-itx thin client
                  >>>
                  >>> I move the file over to the device and it says it is not a valid CE app.
                  >>>
                  >>> If I have to start for scratch I can learn how.
                  >>>
                  >>> I have VS 2005 , Windows CE 6.0. & the BSP for this mini-itx board.
                  >>>

                  >>> Kevin
                  >>>

                  >>> Sometimes the truth about things reveals itself only when we look back
                  >>> at the photographs.
                  >>>
                  >>> No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain

                • Kevin Groce
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 29, 2010
                    Lynn,

                    CE 6.0 It uses Visual Studio 2k5 & Platform Builder (IDE) along with
                    the BSP (drivers for the board) to mash it all into a small OS. I been
                    doing some research and I am not sure that this would be something for
                    me to try. I am not sure if Windows Embedded CE (6.0) has access or
                    ability to use the same APIs since Window Mobile 6 is based off the CE
                    5.2 image. I not sure of the underlying differences between the two.

                    The hardware is an OEM VIA C3 (x86) based mini-itx so it's nothing
                    big and fancy.
                    I am making a go box and wanted to try and do away with XP and the HDD
                    but this seems it might be more than it is worth at the moment.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 29, 2010
                      What TNC hardware are you using in your go box? Set it to KISS mode,
                      stick a Bluetooth RS-232 interface on it, and pick up a used AT&T Tilt
                      or other Bluetooth-capable Windows Mobile device. You've got all you
                      need, and if you have a cellular data SIM card in the phone, you've even
                      got a mobile IGate.

                      As you may have read, my son, KJ4DXK, took one of my T2-135-embedded
                      Alinco DR-135s outfitted this way to the top of Springer Mountain
                      Georgia this past Sunday for the Golden Packet event. He used an iPaq
                      912c running APRSISCE as the user interface for messaging and packet
                      viewing. Everything worked as planned except that he didn't have good
                      cellular data coverage, so he turned off the APRS-IS connection. (Yes,
                      that's why I'm looking into the hangs and lockups in marginal coverage).

                      I'm looking at some new hardware that's soon to be available to make an
                      even sweeter package for such on-the-go usage. Watch this space for
                      more news. As I mentioned before, I'm also planning a CE 3.0 build
                      targeting the old HP Jornada devices that have wider screens and real
                      RS-232 ports.

                      PS. Yes, Mark, it was the 912c that you sent me, thank you! I'll be
                      working on making various dialogs fit the landscape screen as soon as I
                      can get the phone back from my son!

                    • Kevin Groce
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 29, 2010
                        Lynn ,

                        I might use a TT4 in kiss mode as I am trying to keep it as small and
                        portable as I can.

                        That is a great idea using the phone without the data service ! I
                        did not think about using it as a rather expensive PDA. ;)

                        Maybe if I could find one with wifi I could use it to do an offline
                        map load and not have to use a cell data service?

                        I also wanted to do some GeoCaching with the setup too and how is this
                        feature going?

                        Currently I have a BT to serial adapter that would work great as well.

                        I think I might be able to get a setup going after all. I will get
                        with my brother and see what we can come up with as well.

                        I use to have an HP Jornada and loved the thing till it beat it's last beep.

                        Now you have made my day Lynn!

                        Thanks again with your great ideas and wonderful help!

                        On a side not

                        Kevin G

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 29, 2010
                          Let's see, my KJ4ERJ-1 IGate is actually a KISS-mode TT4 with a class 1
                          (100 meters) BT to serial leaping 30+ feet through my "air gap"
                          lightning arrestor to get to my BT equipped server running APRSIS32 as
                          the software side. It works 24x7 as long as my son doesn't drop the 12v
                          bus that powers his room.

                          You don't even need WiFi to preload maps. Just build up an OSMTiles
                          tree on a desktop machine, copy it to a uSD card and stick it in the
                          phone. Don't forget to turn off Tile Purging or the phone will go empty
                          after running a while! (Note to self, I really need to make this
                          on-line accessible instead of XML editing).

                          The Geocaching feature has been on hold for quite some time, but I did
                          use it while on vacation in Spain. All you need is a GPX file from
                          geocaching.com (or a .LOC file if you don't have Pocket Query access)
                          copied onto your device. Do a View / GeoCaches and navigate to the GPX
                          file. If you've got more than one, just toggle the view off and back on
                          to load the subsequent files. GC* objects will show up with red or
                          black dots depending on whether you've found the cache or not (GPS-only
                          feature). On WinCE, the information popup is a summary about the
                          cache. On Win32, you get to see the entire cache description.

                          There's no bearing/range display yet to actually get to a cache, but
                          I've found that zooming in gets me close enough. My Tilt's GPS isn't
                          accurate enough for caching anyway, so I end up loading the coordinates
                          in my DeLorme PN-20 for the actual search.

                        • Kevin Groce
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 29, 2010
                            Lynn,

                            Looks like I am might have a Samsung SCH-i760 with Windows Mobile 6.1
                            Pro given to me !

                            All I need now is a TNC.

                            I am wondering if anyone has tried the KISS mode on the OpenTracker+ ?

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 29, 2010
                              If the Samsung has an internal GPS, and if I read the web site right,
                              the OT+ with the KISS firmware loaded should work fine with APRSISCE.
                              You might have to rig some handshaking signals depending on your BT to
                              serial adapter, but otherwise after you get the radio hooked up you
                              should be good to go.

                              That's an advantage of KISS TNCs, they're all compatible with one
                              standard interface.

                            • Kevin Groce
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 29, 2010
                                Lynn,

                                This is the BT adapter I got a while back but never had a use for until now.

                                http://www.tronisoft.com/2749.php

                                I like the fact that it has both the chip antenna and an SMA connector
                                for an external antenna.

                                It's a rather full featured BT adapter so i am sure I can tweak it
                                till it works.

                                Kevin

                              • Andrew
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 31, 2010
                                  If you need testers for a CE 3.0 build I have Jornada 680, 720 and 728 devices. Presumably you will only target the Strong-ARM processors and not go earlier than the 680?

                                  Regards

                                  Andrew ZL1WJQ