RE: [aprsisce] APRSISCE/32 testing this weekend

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 22, 2013
      I believe the 62 only has the one connector and it looks like a USB connector. Looking at the image below, there are four wires. The yellow and green will be for TX and RX. Use black for the RS232 ground. To power the GPS through the cable,use red and black.

      This GPS is on my current list of future purchases. The only negative for me is the breadcrumb trail from updating APRS positions. But I don't have solid confirmation on the breadcrumbing.

      My older GPS V had an accessories very similar to this. It did not have the PCB that are clearly in the image.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 22, 2013
        Hi Fred,

        Do you know if that cable works with the 60CSx?.

         I currently use the Round 4 Pin cable for NMEA and the mini USB for a Laptop connection.

        But like you say it would be useful to be able to use the same connection for both (depending on what role it is playing at the time).

        I also see it is a 90degree USB connection which would also be more useful than the standard straight one supplied with the GPS.

        73,
        Colin
        M0XSD.

        The cable in the link brings out NEMA data and Power to an unfinished end. So to use with a regular serial port that has a male DE-9, you would solder on a female DE-9. The older GPS receivers also had the same option. Look closely and you will see it still plugs into the USB port of the GPS. That is a good design as it uses one connector for multiple functions.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 22, 2013
          I am looking forward to their response since my information is purely based on previous experiences with other units.

          There are two thing I am curious about. First, In the setup menu, is NMEA an option? Second, when the GPS is connected to a PC using USB, does the PC see a virtual COM port?

          Thanks!
          Fred, N7FMH

          My personal GPS is a ^)CSX which indeed does have both a serial and
          usb port. And I obtained in the aftermarket a cable for the unit.

          The 62S, however seesm only to have a usb port. I have an inquiry out
          to GARMIN.

          On 1/22/13, Bob Harris knineudx@...> wrote:
          > My Garmin GPSMap 60CSx has both a USB and a serial port. The serial
          > port, however, uses a proprietary Garmin connector and one must buy
          > ($36) the cable from Garmin.
          >
          > On 1/22/2013 12:27 PM, Don Rolph wrote:
          >>
          >> I have an inquiry into Garmion regarding serial communications with
          >> the 60 series, but while there is a configuration for serial NMEA
          >> compliant communicatons, it does not appear that there is a connector
          >> for this communications.
          >>
          >> 73,
          >> AB1PH
          >> Don Rolph
          >>
          >> On 1/22/13, Fred Hillhouse fmhillhouse@...
          >> > wrote:
          >> > "It works very well, but the passenger seat is a "rat's nest" of
          >> cabling,
          >> > and most of our GPS units are the 62stc type without a serial port,
          >> so we
          >> > will need some engineering on the mobile units."
          >> >

          >> > Hi Don,
          >> >
          >> > This will get a power and serial cable for the 62ST:
          >> > https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=26668
          >> >
          >> > Best regards,
          >> > Fred, N7FMH
          >> >

          > --
          >
          > Bob Harris (K9UDX)
          > Bath, NH

        • Colin XSD
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 22, 2013
            I don't get breadcrumbs on my 60CSx, the waypoints get overwritten.

            --

            Bob Harris (K9UDX)
            Bath, NH

          Message 5 of 12 , Jan 22, 2013
            It does not work with the 60CSx. The proper cable for it has the round Garmin connector.

            The accessory page
            The cable:

            It seems Garmin has moved to a single connector for all. I have an old design for one of the products I work on that uses the USB connector for USB and RS232. Internally, the USB 5V single singles that USB is present. If it is not there, than RS232 is expected. We never rolled the the version out but it worked great everywhere we ran it.

            Message 6 of 12 , Jan 22, 2013
              Looking at page 30 under System Settings: Options include NMEA In/Out as well as other options.

              I also found this site: http://www.mikew.org/?p=282