RE: [aprsisce] Re: Ghost Stations

    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 18, 2013

      Need to make sure it rotates in the correct direction. Depending on Hemisphere equator etc

      (joke because it makes no difference small scale)

      Steve Daniels

      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 20, 2013
        I doubt you'll have to worry. :) No records exist showing a formed hurricane ever crossing the equator. According to a couple articles from a professor of meteorology[1] and track data from NOAA[2], there are forces that conspire to prevent it.

        During a search there was only one article from a Chicago Tribune[3] meteorologist that mentioned a hurricane having crossed the equator, citing data from NWS but the information about that particular storm was never given in the article nor was a reference supplied. The only mention I can find from NWS/NOAA is in a discussion about hurricane formation[4]. There it mentions one Typhoon Vamei near Singapore that formed very near the equator and had circulation on both sides but the official coordinates of the center of rotation didn't cross the equator.

        [1] http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/ASK/hurricanes.html
        [2] http://sos.noaa.gov/Datasets/dataset.php?id=5
        [3] http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-09-21/news/0309210030_1_equator-hurricane-coriolis-force
        [4] http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/tropics/tc.htm