RE: [aprsisce] Re: Ghost Stations (Vicinity plotting) (Call prefix)

  • Robert Bruninga
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2013
      > The best you can do is guess that the station is probably in Alberta
      from the callsign prefix.

      YES! APRSdos had coordinates for ALL callsign prefixes and if all else
      failed, it plotted a GRID SQUARE plot of the station (which is a 250 mile
      ambiguous display) on the map in that callsign prefix area.

      I didn't mention that in my original list.

      > Add in the complexity of the APRS-IS where I am entering the APRS-IS in
      Hungary even though I am located in Alberta, Canada, and you blow vicinity
      plotting and position ambiguity out of the water.

      > Plotting at 0,0 is the cheap and easy way out.

      I agree. Back in the APRSdos world, I only had to deal with what came in
      on VHF or HF. I agree that when all of the above 6 methods fail, then in
      the APRS-IS, probably 0.0 has to be the ultimate bit-bucket.

      Bob, WB4APR