Re: [aprsisce] Re: Ghost Stations

    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 18, 2013
      Or maybe the fault isn't with 0,0 as a default location for unknown
      position stations, but maybe the fault is with AutoZoom?

      Now that we know what your issue is with 0,0, it is understandable and I
      suspect the fix isn't to change or hide positionless stations, but to
      have AutoZoom not consider stations for which a position has not been heard?

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

      PS. It's like my $$$ clients do to me every now and then. They'll come
      and say "I want you to do this to that". We ask "Why", and "Why", and
      "Why" again and find out that what they REALLY needed was something
      completely different, but obtusely related.

      On 1/18/2013 1:06 PM, N5TEV wrote:
      > After having opened this subject twice now, I decided to think about why.
      >
      > While operating mobile (RF only), I was exploring the function at Screen->Autozoom. My intuition, and what I've been able to find in the wiki, suggested to me that this could be enabled to have the screen automatically zoom out to cover the map display range of the location of the furthest stations in my local operating environment (mobile, RF). And yet whenever I seemed to try this, is would inevitably zoom out to all the way as a result of stations at 0,0. The whole world.
      >
      > Perhaps I'm misusing, or misunderstanding the purpose of, Autozoom.
      >
      > 73,
      > Jeff
      > N5TEV

    • kf4lvz
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 20, 2013
        I doubt you'll have to worry. :) No records exist showing a formed hurricane ever crossing the equator. According to a couple articles from a professor of meteorology[1] and track data from NOAA[2], there are forces that conspire to prevent it.

        During a search there was only one article from a Chicago Tribune[3] meteorologist that mentioned a hurricane having crossed the equator, citing data from NWS but the information about that particular storm was never given in the article nor was a reference supplied. The only mention I can find from NWS/NOAA is in a discussion about hurricane formation[4]. There it mentions one Typhoon Vamei near Singapore that formed very near the equator and had circulation on both sides but the official coordinates of the center of rotation didn't cross the equator.

        [1] http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/ASK/hurricanes.html
        [2] http://sos.noaa.gov/Datasets/dataset.php?id=5
        [3] http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-09-21/news/0309210030_1_equator-hurricane-coriolis-force
        [4] http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/tropics/tc.htm