RE: [aprsisce] Ghost Stations

  • Tony VE6MVP
    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 17, 2013
      At 03:53 PM 2013-01-17, Steve Daniels wrote:

      > If people want to email me direct with filters that work. For various situations I will create an example filters wiki page, it�s easy to put something in that gives unintended results and not see what you have done

      Please also put filters that didn't work or had unexpected results on that page such as yours.   As well as filters that do work of course.

      Tony
    • kf4lvz
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 20, 2013
        I doubt you'll have to worry. :) No records exist showing a formed hurricane ever crossing the equator. According to a couple articles from a professor of meteorology[1] and track data from NOAA[2], there are forces that conspire to prevent it.

        During a search there was only one article from a Chicago Tribune[3] meteorologist that mentioned a hurricane having crossed the equator, citing data from NWS but the information about that particular storm was never given in the article nor was a reference supplied. The only mention I can find from NWS/NOAA is in a discussion about hurricane formation[4]. There it mentions one Typhoon Vamei near Singapore that formed very near the equator and had circulation on both sides but the official coordinates of the center of rotation didn't cross the equator.

        [1] http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/ASK/hurricanes.html
        [2] http://sos.noaa.gov/Datasets/dataset.php?id=5
        [3] http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-09-21/news/0309210030_1_equator-hurricane-coriolis-force
        [4] http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/tropics/tc.htm