Ghost Stations

  • N5TEV
    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 17, 2013
      This has been discussed before, but is there any way to tell APRSIS32/CE to ignore stations at 00.0000, 00.0000?

      Don't want to see them in the scroller, don't want to see them on the map.

      73,
      Jeff
      N5TEV
    • kf4lvz
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 20, 2013
        I doubt you'll have to worry. :) No records exist showing a formed hurricane ever crossing the equator. According to a couple articles from a professor of meteorology[1] and track data from NOAA[2], there are forces that conspire to prevent it.

        During a search there was only one article from a Chicago Tribune[3] meteorologist that mentioned a hurricane having crossed the equator, citing data from NWS but the information about that particular storm was never given in the article nor was a reference supplied. The only mention I can find from NWS/NOAA is in a discussion about hurricane formation[4]. There it mentions one Typhoon Vamei near Singapore that formed very near the equator and had circulation on both sides but the official coordinates of the center of rotation didn't cross the equator.

        [1] http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/ASK/hurricanes.html
        [2] http://sos.noaa.gov/Datasets/dataset.php?id=5
        [3] http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-09-21/news/0309210030_1_equator-hurricane-coriolis-force
        [4] http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/tropics/tc.htm