A Heart Felt Thank you.

  • Adam Mahnke
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 14, 2013
      Hey Lynn,

      I'd like to express my appreciation publicly for all the work that you do for FREE, and allow us the honor of using your program, for FREE. You've developed a wonderful program, that IMHO far exceeds any other APRS client I've used (half dozen or so that it is) and the fact that you share it with your fellow hams, and provide amazing tech support for, all out of the goodness of your heart. Many people would see this as an opportunity to make some extra money, or at the very least not even take any input on development, where as you actively engage the community on a near daily basis.

      You Sir, are an amazing man from what I can tell, and it's been a pleasure to have many conversations with you (in which I've learned a lot) and with the other members of this forum that provide answers, and guidance, and assistance to the community all of their own free time. Even if development stalls for whatever the reason, you've done an amazing thing. A simple thank you just doesn't cover it. I applaud you, and am simply glad to have been part of the process thus far, and hope that it continues, in whatever direction that YOU decide to take it.

      Once again, Thank you, Gracias, Merci, Danke, Grazie,

      (I'll translate more if you want ;) )

      Adam Mahnke
      KC2ANT

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: kj4erj@...
      Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 22:58:09 -0500
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: Windows Mobile platform expiring

      Ok, I think you finally realize that it's not going to be "just a recompile" to get APRSISCE/32 to run under Android.  Android is not Win32, WINE is not on Android.  Android may be based on *nix, but it is a completely different GUI environment.

      Saying that they're all graphical environments, so there must be similarities is like saying that since English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, and Mandarin Chinese are all spoken languages, there must be similarities in them.  That may be true, but it doesn't really make it any easier to learn another one if you know one.  Or worse, to translate a book written in English to German if you don't know German.

      APRSISCE/32 is written in C and directly invokes the native Win32 API on both Windows desktops and Windows Mobile.  Android development is done in Java with some provision for linking in some C computation (but not User Interface) code.   And Android has it's own GUI calls.  Yes, APRSISCE/32 is currently in English and Android requires German and I don't speak German (yet).

      I'll make the same offer I made before.  If you really, really, REALLY want me to port APRSISCE/32 to Android, then I'll be glad to take a 1 year sabbatical from my day job to learn the required skills and platform, port the code, debug the new implementation, and release APRSIS/droid (or whatever it ends up being called).  I estimate this to be about (US) $150,000.00 and you'll have the program in your hot little Android devices approximately 1 year from when the (cashier's) check clears the bank.

      Any takers?  I didn't think so.  So let's please drop the Android discussion or take it over to the cafe.  It has nothing to do with supporting the current APRSISCE/32 application on Windows Mobile and desktop devices.

      PS.  Just for historical clarity: APRSISCE/32 is written in C and uses the Win32 API and runs on the Windows Mobile platform for one and only one reason.  I KNOW C, been coding it for years.  I KNOW Win32, been coding it for slightly less time (OS/2 was before that).  And I OWN a Windows Mobile device and have done Windows Mobile coding professionally.  You are all freely reaping the benefits of that experience.  The only learning curve I had was the APRS protocol, and as other APRS authors can attest, that was steep enough.

    • Bob Burns W9RXR
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 16, 2013
        At 06:32 PM 1/14/2013, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

        >Now if anyone has a D72 they'd like to part with for cheap, please
        >contact me off-list!

        I'm a few days behind this conversation, but let me toss out an idea.

        If a happy user of your program were to set up a fund that took up a
        collection among other happy users to buy you a radio, would that be
        a tax problem? I'd be happy to contribute to such a fund or even administer it.

        Bob...