Re: [aprsisce] Re: Windows Mobile platform expiring

    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 13, 2013
      Ok, I think you finally realize that it's not going to be "just a recompile" to get APRSISCE/32 to run under Android.  Android is not Win32, WINE is not on Android.  Android may be based on *nix, but it is a completely different GUI environment.

      Saying that they're all graphical environments, so there must be similarities is like saying that since English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, and Mandarin Chinese are all spoken languages, there must be similarities in them.  That may be true, but it doesn't really make it any easier to learn another one if you know one.  Or worse, to translate a book written in English to German if you don't know German.

      APRSISCE/32 is written in C and directly invokes the native Win32 API on both Windows desktops and Windows Mobile.  Android development is done in Java with some provision for linking in some C computation (but not User Interface) code.   And Android has it's own GUI calls.  Yes, APRSISCE/32 is currently in English and Android requires German and I don't speak German (yet).

      I'll make the same offer I made before.  If you really, really, REALLY want me to port APRSISCE/32 to Android, then I'll be glad to take a 1 year sabbatical from my day job to learn the required skills and platform, port the code, debug the new implementation, and release APRSIS/droid (or whatever it ends up being called).  I estimate this to be about (US) $150,000.00 and you'll have the program in your hot little Android devices approximately 1 year from when the (cashier's) check clears the bank.

      Any takers?  I didn't think so.  So let's please drop the Android discussion or take it over to the cafe.  It has nothing to do with supporting the current APRSISCE/32 application on Windows Mobile and desktop devices.

      PS.  Just for historical clarity: APRSISCE/32 is written in C and uses the Win32 API and runs on the Windows Mobile platform for one and only one reason.  I KNOW C, been coding it for years.  I KNOW Win32, been coding it for slightly less time (OS/2 was before that).  And I OWN a Windows Mobile device and have done Windows Mobile coding professionally.  You are all freely reaping the benefits of that experience.  The only learning curve I had was the APRS protocol, and as other APRS authors can attest, that was steep enough.

      On 1/13/2013 8:56 PM, Greg Dolkas wrote:
      Ok, right.  Wine Is Not an Emulator.  W.I.N.E.  True enough.

      So, compiling, or rather porting the Wine library to Android would also involve replacing the X11 calls on its back end with the equivalent Android calls.  Android is built on top of Linux too, so some of the calls might already be there.  The remaining ones would need to be replaced.  But both X11 and Android are graphical environments, so there's got to be some common concepts.  If its one thing I've learned in computer science after all these years is that there are no new things in computer science.  It's the same old stuff called something different, and layered on top of other same old stuff called something different.

      Now the question is if there's anyone who's already done this work...  That I do not know.  There were some hints to it being done when Googling around last time I looked, but I forget where they were.

      Greg  KO6TH

    • Bob Burns W9RXR
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 16, 2013
        At 06:32 PM 1/14/2013, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

        >Now if anyone has a D72 they'd like to part with for cheap, please
        >contact me off-list!

        I'm a few days behind this conversation, but let me toss out an idea.

        If a happy user of your program were to set up a fund that took up a
        collection among other happy users to buy you a radio, would that be
        a tax problem? I'd be happy to contribute to such a fund or even administer it.

        Bob...