RE: [aprsisce] Moving an Object

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013

      You can send just a space? Not working for me

      Steve Daniels

      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
        I take it you are using a Tracker2/3 and not a Kantronics device. If you are using a Kantronics device, I would like to know how you do it.

        steve@...> wrote:

        > The ability to reconfigure a remote digipeater from within APRSISCE32
        > would be good also. My remote digipeater requires a space to be sent to
        > trigger the remote access

        That's built in already... I send APRS messages to my digipeaters from
        APRSISCE/32! You must be using the wrong kind of digipeater! :)

        I've controlled my digipeaters while sitting on the beach in Mexico
        using an iPad as well.

      • Robert Bruninga
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013

          > 3) I'm also thinking to add a checkbox to the object definition that says

          > "permanent" or something like that that restores the current behavior of
          > ignoring any other incoming objects

          Please have it default to off and that it has to be re-checked to permanent each time a new object is created.

          The goal is trying to avoid the problem of “permant objects” cluttiering maps where the permanent owner is not available to correct, fix or move such objects and yet the rest of us or stuck with the clutter during our events.  Thanks  Bob

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
            On 1/14/2013 12:04 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
            The goal is trying to avoid the problem of “permant objects” cluttiering maps where the permanent owner is not available to correct, fix or move such objects and yet the rest of us or stuck with the clutter during our events.  Thanks  Bob

            That'd be no different than repeater (or other) objects that are spewing from KPC-3 that have gone (relatively) inaccessible due to heightened security access requirements or because the owner is no longer interested in APRS, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
              On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              <kj4erj@...> wrote:

              > That'd be no different than repeater (or other) objects that are spewing
              > from KPC-3 that have gone (relatively) inaccessible due to heightened
              > security access requirements or because the owner is no longer interested in
              > APRS, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

              We're doing that now! We have a guy in Calgary sending an object over
              RF and IS for the Edmonton flea market at the wrong location, so I
              created a new object that I sent over IS that looked identical to try
              and make the object appear at the right location. Then another guy
              made yet another object for the fleamarket at the correct location,
              and was sending that via RF in Edmonton.

              All that did was make a bunch of icons appear on the map as a mess...
              The object originating in Calgary has been modified, and now has a new
              name, and is advertising the Edmonton Fleamarket at a location in
              Calgary.

              Attempting to use objects in APRSISCE/32 as per the APRS specification
              doesn't work so good currently.

              The problem is that people don't understand the purpose behind objects
              and items in the APRS world. Lack of education leads people to think
              that if they create an object, it belongs to them and no one else can
              play with it. Kind of like people not understanding that mic-e
              priority and special also have specific actions associated.

              I say we blame Bob... he's not preach loud and hard enough from his
              pulpit! 8) <- That's a smiley, indicating humour!