Re: [aprsisce] Moving an Object

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
      On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Steve Daniels
      <steve@...> wrote:

      > The ability to reconfigure a remote digipeater from within APRSISCE32
      > would be good also. My remote digipeater requires a space to be sent to
      > trigger the remote access

      That's built in already... I send APRS messages to my digipeaters from
      APRSISCE/32! You must be using the wrong kind of digipeater! :)

      I've controlled my digipeaters while sitting on the beach in Mexico
      using an iPad as well.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013

        You can send just a space? Not working for me

        Steve Daniels

        Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

        Torbay Freecycle  Owner

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
          I take it you are using a Tracker2/3 and not a Kantronics device. If you are using a Kantronics device, I would like to know how you do it.

          steve@...> wrote:

          > The ability to reconfigure a remote digipeater from within APRSISCE32
          > would be good also. My remote digipeater requires a space to be sent to
          > trigger the remote access

          That's built in already... I send APRS messages to my digipeaters from
          APRSISCE/32! You must be using the wrong kind of digipeater! :)

          I've controlled my digipeaters while sitting on the beach in Mexico
          using an iPad as well.

        • Robert Bruninga
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013

            > 3) I'm also thinking to add a checkbox to the object definition that says

            > "permanent" or something like that that restores the current behavior of
            > ignoring any other incoming objects

            Please have it default to off and that it has to be re-checked to permanent each time a new object is created.

            The goal is trying to avoid the problem of “permant objects” cluttiering maps where the permanent owner is not available to correct, fix or move such objects and yet the rest of us or stuck with the clutter during our events.  Thanks  Bob

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
              On 1/14/2013 12:04 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
              The goal is trying to avoid the problem of “permant objects” cluttiering maps where the permanent owner is not available to correct, fix or move such objects and yet the rest of us or stuck with the clutter during our events.  Thanks  Bob

              That'd be no different than repeater (or other) objects that are spewing from KPC-3 that have gone (relatively) inaccessible due to heightened security access requirements or because the owner is no longer interested in APRS, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
                On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                > That'd be no different than repeater (or other) objects that are spewing
                > from KPC-3 that have gone (relatively) inaccessible due to heightened
                > security access requirements or because the owner is no longer interested in
                > APRS, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

                We're doing that now! We have a guy in Calgary sending an object over
                RF and IS for the Edmonton flea market at the wrong location, so I
                created a new object that I sent over IS that looked identical to try
                and make the object appear at the right location. Then another guy
                made yet another object for the fleamarket at the correct location,
                and was sending that via RF in Edmonton.

                All that did was make a bunch of icons appear on the map as a mess...
                The object originating in Calgary has been modified, and now has a new
                name, and is advertising the Edmonton Fleamarket at a location in
                Calgary.

                Attempting to use objects in APRSISCE/32 as per the APRS specification
                doesn't work so good currently.

                The problem is that people don't understand the purpose behind objects
                and items in the APRS world. Lack of education leads people to think
                that if they create an object, it belongs to them and no one else can
                play with it. Kind of like people not understanding that mic-e
                priority and special also have specific actions associated.

                I say we blame Bob... he's not preach loud and hard enough from his
                pulpit! 8) <- That's a smiley, indicating humour!