information requestd for http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us

  • albeham@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2013
      Hello all,

      I am about to take part in a propagation study on a government band, and as a ham can to the experts. you all.

      The site; http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us . is very cool, but I do have a few questions.

      Question I have right now is where can I find information on how the system works, like does it use raw data, line of sight, or are digipeaters included ?

      help me be smarter..

      AL KA1FFO
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2013
        Contact the author of that site. Or study it long enough to figure it out.

        I have tried to delve how it flags HF vs VHF APRS operations, and I
        believe there's a bunch of manual intervention involved.

        I tried to contact the author to see if s/he would share the algorithms
        used to do the colored areas and heard crickets in reply.

        And, because of the 30 second dupe suppression feature of the APRS-IS,
        the network is NOT suitable for true RF propagation studies because not
        every packet is passed through the network.

        PS. You might get more responses on a general purpose Yahoo group
        rather than a group whose charter is to support the APRSISCE/32 software
        program.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 11, 2013
          I should have also offered you to take this conversation to
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/APRSIS32cafe

          There's only 15 members over there to date, but this is just the sort of
          topic that the alternate group was formed to discuss - general interest
          conversations not directly related to APRSISCE/32.