No RF beacon, just TCP????

  • Jim in Downers Grove
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 9, 2013
      I've been a Ham for over 10 years but am new to APRS.

      I started running UIVIEW and decided to switch to APRSISCE. I have my AEA PK-232MBX and Yaesu FT-895D hooked up and running well. I had fairly good luck running UIVIEW and saw that I had a fair amount of traffic on the aprs.fi web site.

      I created a KISS port and an APRS-IS port. They are both enabled, transmit enabled, and are set for inbound and outbound traffic. All possible message types are checked. The TNC has a quiet time of zero and the APRS-IS port won't let me set it to zero so I set it at 300.

      When I go to aprs.fi I don't see any RF port beacons, only TCP. I know the radio is transmitting because I see activity in the digi log. My only confusion is that there is no RF beacon so local users can tell I'm available.

      I've obviously mal-configured something. Any suggestions?

      Thanks

      Jim - KC9AOP
    • KE6BB
      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 1, 2013
        WOW! I finally got some time to spend with the links you noted below, and found them quite helpful. I have tried to do some of this manually from aprs.fi etc., but the accuracy is limited for the reasons previously noted. When I went to your webpages, there the data was...in nice graphs and tabular formats.

        I can hardly wait for the first development release that starts to build "some of this capability directly into APRSISCE/32." I have never seen this type of capability built into a software package, but I must qualify my comment in that I don't use other APRS software anymore.

        Very impressive!

        Mark
        KE6BB