newbie

  • JR
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2013
      I am thinking about getting the tm-d710a is what is uses for APRS any ideas suggestions think i would like to configuire the unit to packet thru the sats

      thanks
      Preston kf5evv
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2013
        On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM, JR <kf5evv73@...> wrote:

        > I am thinking about getting the tm-d710a is what is uses for APRS any ideas
        > suggestions think i would like to configuire the unit to packet thru the sats

        A little more structure and proper use of the English language would
        help us understand if you are making one or more statements, or
        queries.

        The D710 works very well for APRS. It can be used for packet radio,
        and it can be used with satellites. It is a purpose built rig, but it
        can be pressed into other uses outside of APRS.

        If you mainly want to play APRS and dabble with packet and packet via
        satellites, then it's a good fit. If however you are mainly interested
        in packet radio, and playing with satellites, and dabble in APRS,
        there are probably better radios and TNCs to choose. The D710 doesn't
        do all the fancy splits, and doppler correction, has limited frequency
        steps, and the built in TNC has limits s far as full blown packet is
        concerned.

        This question would be better suited to the Kenwood D710/V71 forum...
        this forum is about APRSISCE/32, an APRS program for Windows and
        Windows mobile.

      • Tony VE6MVP
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2013
          At 04:21 PM 2013-01-06, JR wrote:

          I am thinking about getting the tm-d710a is what is uses for APRS any ideas suggestions think i would like to configuire the unit to packet thru the sats

          The D710 does a good job with APRS packets but I'm having trouble finding recent information on how do satellite stuff.

          Tony
        • Tony VE6MVP
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2013
            At 05:29 PM 2013-01-06, James Ewen wrote:

            James, please don't criticize other people's postings.

            the built in TNC has limits s far as full blown packet is
            concerned.

            How does the D710 built in TNC have limits?  I've happily sent and received 10K and 20K Winlink 2000 emails via our repeater.

            Tony
          • ltdoc
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2013
              And I would say you might think about your own advice about that criticizing, don't you think?

              If you had read the rest of that post you may have seen the distinction that was drawn. It seems reasonable to me.
              - 'Doc
            • Doug Ferrell