Re: [aprsisce] Passcodes

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 5, 2013
      On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:

      > The point of the statements made is contrast is to yours are to ensure
      > someone doesn't start with UNREAL expectations. There is nothing more
      > frustrating in a hobby than to be stuck on something, doing searches online,
      > and finding information only to be more frsutrated when it doesn't work.

      I was going to stay out of this one, but now I've been called out!

      I can generate passcodes on my Windows machine, but that doesn't mean
      that Windows has the capability built in.

      The issue Murry is that you probably installed the callpass script
      when you installed Xastir. (Callpass is included in the Xastir
      distro). It's not that Mint has callpass included.

      The algorithm to generate passcodes is freely available, and Xastir
      includes a script to generate passcodes, but that does not mean that
      we should be posting passcodes on this reflector.

      The request that authors hand out passcodes to their users still
      stands. The inclusion of the passcode generation script in Xastir
      cause a stir when some people discovered the inclusion.

      The passcode provides a very rudimentary "security" to keep just
      anyone from accessing the APRS-IS stream. It's like putting your house
      key under the door mat then posting a sign on the door saying "Look
      under the mat". Yes, the door is locked, but telling everyone where to
      look for the key reduces the security.

      By posting passcodes on the relfector, we're putting the note on the door.

      The solution is for people wanting passcodes to read the instructions
      and follow them. Reading instructions however is too much of a task
      for many people...

    • Murry B
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 5, 2013
        Like I said I'm sorry I made any comment
        There are  more knowledgeable people on these groups than me.
        VE9MB