IS feed drop outs

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013

      I have noticed my APRS-IS feed dropping out. In such a way that APRSIS32 does not detect that there is no feed. The logs show nothing useful.

      I am using a pool of servers but APRSIS32 is not detecting the lack of feed and attempting to reconnect.

      Was down for several hours today before I realised, I then disable the APRS-IS port and re-enable and things come back to normal.

      I don’t have a clue as to whats happening to cause this.

      Steve Daniels

      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
        Most likely it's not your connection to the server, but the server's connection to the backbone.  I assume you have Quiet Time set to something like 90 or so on your APRS-IS port?

        If this happens again, enable the Port(APRS-IS) trace log and see if the heartbeats are coming through.  I suspect they will be.

        Then check ME's station information popup.  The bottom lines will show the current IP address of the upstream APRS-IS server.  Even if you've configured a rotate, the currently connected actual server will show up there.  Hit that server's :14501 status page with a browser and see if you can see anything strange in his counters for his upstream or cross-connected servers.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013

          I have quiet time set to 90 yes, I would suspect that you are correct in that the connection to the server is OK and just no data is flowing from it. I did not have the APRS-IS log enable and the info that is there.

          I wonder if it might be useful to have a check for data flow, something like if no packets received on the port between your own beacons trigger a server change.

          It’s happened a few time, next time it happens I will turn the log on and report back what it tells me

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2013
            On 1/5/2013 3:56 PM, Steve Daniels wrote:
            I wonder if it might be useful to have a check for data flow, something like if no packets received on the port between your own beacons trigger a server change.

            The problem with anything based on packet flow is that is dependent on the filter in use.  I really can't tell if you're just in an inactive area or if your connected server is having issues.  The server sends a heart-beat comment line which satisfies the quiet timer.  If all traffic, including the heart-beat, ceases for longer than the quiet time, then the server is disconnected, re-DNS-translated, and re-connected.  You may or may not get the same server if you are using a rotation DNS name.