Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Messages to me but not really?

Expand Messages
  • kf4lvz
    No image in your message but don t worry, I know how to take screen captures in a few OSes. ;) Two samples of the boxes. Looks like it is the Mic-E messages
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      No image in your message but don't worry, I know how to take screen captures in a few OSes. ;)

      Two samples of the boxes. Looks like it is the Mic-E messages but you have to agree that they look a lot like someone sent me a message.

      http://acarver.net/aprsis/messageboxes.png

      Not sending as an attachment, they don't work on the list and it's far easier to just send a link.
    • kf4lvz
      ... Not likely in this case because there is no message other than Transmitted Status(Special) . If there was meaning in that (other than being a
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Daniels" <steve@...> wrote:
        >
        > Seems to me people you don't know are messaging you. I get it a lot on my HF
        > instance, usually someone being friendly with a GM (good morning, people
        > tend to keep things short on HF)
        >
        > To me the point of Amateur Radio is talking to people you don't know (at
        > least to start)
        >
        > If you look to see where they are it maybe people local to you, wanting a
        > chat.
        >


        Not likely in this case because there is no message other than "Transmitted Status(Special)". If there was meaning in that (other than being a preconfigured message from a radio's firmware) then I might believe it was for me. It's too generic to be directed at me. The users are also not completely local, close but not close enough (about 80 miles away).

        I agree that radio is about talking to people I don't know but I'll turn on my actual HF or VHF stations for that not sit on a screen.

        I get plenty of Good Mornings and other things already. I turn those off mainly because the interface for messages isn't sufficient to skip messages that I don't need (clicking one at a time to get through the list is annoying when there are twenty messages of "Good Morning"). Xastir handles it a little better giving me a growing list of messages but it still pops up a dialog box full of them. I do understand why APRSIS/32 is written this way (screen real estate for the smaller handhelds, etc.) which is why I turn the feature off.
      • Adam Mahnke
        They re Mic-E notifications go to Configure- Mic-E Notifications and suppress which ones you like. The program is doing what the APRS Spec calls for, notifying
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          They're Mic-E notifications
           
          go to Configure->Mic-E Notifications
           
          and suppress which ones you like.
           
          The program is doing what the APRS Spec calls for, notifying you of certain messages.
           
          Refer to http://aprs.googlecode.com/files/APRS101.pdf  I think the Mic-E stuff starts on page 45, but I could be wrong, happens quite often.
           
          Adam
          KC2ANT
           

          To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
          From: agcme2002@...
          Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 03:39:15 +0000
          Subject: [aprsisce] Re: Messages to me but not really?

           
          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Daniels" <steve@...> wrote:
          >
          > Seems to me people you don't know are messaging you. I get it a lot on my HF
          > instance, usually someone being friendly with a GM (good morning, people
          > tend to keep things short on HF)
          >
          > To me the point of Amateur Radio is talking to people you don't know (at
          > least to start)
          >
          > If you look to see where they are it maybe people local to you, wanting a
          > chat.
          >

          Not likely in this case because there is no message other than "Transmitted Status(Special)". If there was meaning in that (other than being a preconfigured message from a radio's firmware) then I might believe it was for me. It's too generic to be directed at me. The users are also not completely local, close but not close enough (about 80 miles away).

          I agree that radio is about talking to people I don't know but I'll turn on my actual HF or VHF stations for that not sit on a screen.

          I get plenty of Good Mornings and other things already. I turn those off mainly because the interface for messages isn't sufficient to skip messages that I don't need (clicking one at a time to get through the list is annoying when there are twenty messages of "Good Morning"). Xastir handles it a little better giving me a growing list of messages but it still pops up a dialog box full of them. I do understand why APRSIS/32 is written this way (screen real estate for the smaller handhelds, etc.) which is why I turn the feature off.


        • kf4lvz
          I thought I had disabled all of them but I missed two. I ll clear the rest of them out and see if it goes away. Still, the dialog box is misleading since, to
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            I thought I had disabled all of them but I missed two. I'll clear the rest of them out and see if it goes away.

            Still, the dialog box is misleading since, to me, it looks like it's a message addressed to me rather than a broadcast message.

            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:
            >
            >
            > They're Mic-E notifications
            >
            > go to Configure->Mic-E Notifications
            >
            > and suppress which ones you like.
            >
            > The program is doing what the APRS Spec calls for, notifying you of certain messages.
            >
            > Refer to http://aprs.googlecode.com/files/APRS101.pdf I think the Mic-E stuff starts on page 45, but I could be wrong, happens quite often.
            >
            > Adam
            > KC2ANT
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
            > From: agcme2002@...
            > Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 03:39:15 +0000
            > Subject: [aprsisce] Re: Messages to me but not really?
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Daniels" <steve@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Seems to me people you don't know are messaging you. I get it a lot on my HF
            > > instance, usually someone being friendly with a GM (good morning, people
            > > tend to keep things short on HF)
            > >
            > > To me the point of Amateur Radio is talking to people you don't know (at
            > > least to start)
            > >
            > > If you look to see where they are it maybe people local to you, wanting a
            > > chat.
            > >
            >
            > Not likely in this case because there is no message other than "Transmitted Status(Special)". If there was meaning in that (other than being a preconfigured message from a radio's firmware) then I might believe it was for me. It's too generic to be directed at me. The users are also not completely local, close but not close enough (about 80 miles away).
            >
            > I agree that radio is about talking to people I don't know but I'll turn on my actual HF or VHF stations for that not sit on a screen.
            >
            > I get plenty of Good Mornings and other things already. I turn those off mainly because the interface for messages isn't sufficient to skip messages that I don't need (clicking one at a time to get through the list is annoying when there are twenty messages of "Good Morning"). Xastir handles it a little better giving me a growing list of messages but it still pops up a dialog box full of them. I do understand why APRSIS/32 is written this way (screen real estate for the smaller handhelds, etc.) which is why I turn the feature off.
            >
          • Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
            It s a message addressed to everyone by the definition of Mic-E status. Since you are one particular part of everyone , and in order to be able to quickly
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              It's a message addressed to everyone by the definition of Mic-E status.
              Since you are one particular part of "everyone", and in order to be able
              to quickly respond to their request to be noticed, the message is
              formatted as it is.

              See also http://aprs.org/aprs12/EmergencyCode.txt

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

              PS. When you click on the green pending message pane, you can just hit
              Escape to clear the message that is brought up. Click - Escape - Click
              - Escape and I can clear 1000s of eavesdrops pretty quickly. You can
              also use some of the Clear menu options to flush a bunch of eavesdrops
              and/or ALL/CQ messages if you don't want to see any of them individually.

              On 1/2/2013 10:51 PM, kf4lvz wrote:
              > I thought I had disabled all of them but I missed two. I'll clear the rest of them out and see if it goes away.
              >
              > Still, the dialog box is misleading since, to me, it looks like it's a message addressed to me rather than a broadcast message.
              >
              > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> They're Mic-E notifications
              >>
              >> go to Configure->Mic-E Notifications
              >>
              >> and suppress which ones you like.
              >>
              >> The program is doing what the APRS Spec calls for, notifying you of certain messages.
              >>
              >> Refer to http://aprs.googlecode.com/files/APRS101.pdf I think the Mic-E stuff starts on page 45, but I could be wrong, happens quite often.
              >>
              >> Adam
              >> KC2ANT
              >>
              >>
              >>
              >>
              >> To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
              >> From: agcme2002@...
              >> Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 03:39:15 +0000
              >> Subject: [aprsisce] Re: Messages to me but not really?
              >>
              >>
              >>
              >>
              >>
              >> --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Daniels" <steve@> wrote:
              >>> Seems to me people you don't know are messaging you. I get it a lot on my HF
              >>> instance, usually someone being friendly with a GM (good morning, people
              >>> tend to keep things short on HF)
              >>>
              >>> To me the point of Amateur Radio is talking to people you don't know (at
              >>> least to start)
              >>>
              >>> If you look to see where they are it maybe people local to you, wanting a
              >>> chat.
              >>>
              >> Not likely in this case because there is no message other than "Transmitted Status(Special)". If there was meaning in that (other than being a preconfigured message from a radio's firmware) then I might believe it was for me. It's too generic to be directed at me. The users are also not completely local, close but not close enough (about 80 miles away).
              >>
              >> I agree that radio is about talking to people I don't know but I'll turn on my actual HF or VHF stations for that not sit on a screen.
              >>
              >> I get plenty of Good Mornings and other things already. I turn those off mainly because the interface for messages isn't sufficient to skip messages that I don't need (clicking one at a time to get through the list is annoying when there are twenty messages of "Good Morning"). Xastir handles it a little better giving me a growing list of messages but it still pops up a dialog box full of them. I do understand why APRSIS/32 is written this way (screen real estate for the smaller handhelds, etc.) which is why I turn the feature off.
              >>
              >
              >
              >
              > ------------------------------------
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >
              >
              >
              >
            • kf4lvz
              ... I m used to Emergency, wasn t used to anything else. ... Is there a way to jump to the middle of a list of messages? For example, if there s a pile of
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                >
                > It's a message addressed to everyone by the definition of Mic-E status.
                > Since you are one particular part of "everyone", and in order to be able
                > to quickly respond to their request to be noticed, the message is
                > formatted as it is.
                >
                > See also http://aprs.org/aprs12/EmergencyCode.txt

                I'm used to Emergency, wasn't used to anything else.

                >
                > PS. When you click on the green pending message pane, you can just hit
                > Escape to clear the message that is brought up. Click - Escape - Click
                > - Escape and I can clear 1000s of eavesdrops pretty quickly. You can
                > also use some of the Clear menu options to flush a bunch of eavesdrops
                > and/or ALL/CQ messages if you don't want to see any of them individually.

                Is there a way to jump to the middle of a list of messages? For example, if there's a pile of status messages then a message actually addressed to me and then another pile of status messages, how can I jump to the ones for me without a constant barrage of click-escapes?
              • Martyn Apperly
                Just so you re not wondering about it, Steve.....your box did get through (at least, to me). Martyn G6FSU From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
                • 0 Attachment

                  Just so you’re not wondering about it, Steve.....your box did get through (at least, to me).

                  Martyn G6FSU

                   

                  From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steve Daniels
                  Sent: 03 January 2013 00:10
                  To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: RE: [aprsisce] Re: Messages to me but not really?

                   

                   

                  Make sure the message box is the for most window and press Alt and print screen buttons at the same time, this will copy into the copy paste area. Then open your email client and paste the image in.

                  I did and example image, which will hopefully get through the list.

                   

                  The above image (might come as an attachment) shows my HF instance messaging my VHF one, so G6UIM-14 has sent a message to G6UIM. Clicking on the button marked G6UIM-14 brings up the messaging window for replying.

                  This system is also used for alerting to Mic-E alerts and APRSIS32 updates available.

                  If you are seeing something similar to the image, then someone has sent you a message

                   

                  Steve Daniels

                  Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                  Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                  http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle

                  APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

                   


                  From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                  Sent: 02 January 2013 23:50
                  To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: Messages to me but not really?

                   

                   

                  Screen capture required. What EXACTLY does it say inside the
                  notification box?

                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                  PS. If someone can describe print-screen, paste into IrfanView, crop,
                  copy and paste into an e-mail, I'd appreciate it. Sorry I'm so short,
                  but time to get out to see The Hobbit with family!

                  On 1/2/2013 6:36 PM, kf4lvz wrote:
                  >
                  > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
                  >> On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM, kf4lvz <agcme2002@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> I've been receiving quite a few messages that APRSIS32 is claiming
                  >>> (I'm guessing) to be for me. The message box lights green and when
                  >>> I click it, the title bar has the originating call sign followed by
                  >>> " -> KF4LVZ" which I take to mean directed to me.
                  >> This is a case of the same term being used multiple times, but each
                  >> time the term is used, it has a different meaning.
                  >>
                  >> The message box should probably be called the notification box.
                  > Well I understand the concept of the indicator but I'm talking about an actual "Message Box" in Microsoft Windows GUI parlance which is the rectangular grey box with its own title bar and one or more buttons. The text in the title bar is formatted in such a way that it appears the message is directed to me:
                  >
                  > CALLSIGN -> KF4LVZ
                  >
                  > including that text arrow (dash, angle bracket combo). An arrow pointing at my own call sign says to me "Message for/sent to you". That's where my confusion happened because I didn't know any of the people sending messages.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >

                • Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                  ... That s because many other APRS clients have not attempted to implement all of Bob s ideas. I m still working my way there with APRSISCE/32. And as a
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 3, 2013
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On 1/2/2013 11:52 PM, kf4lvz wrote:
                    > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                    >> See also http://aprs.org/aprs12/EmergencyCode.txt
                    > I'm used to Emergency, wasn't used to anything else.

                    That's because many other APRS clients have not attempted to implement
                    all of Bob's ideas. I'm still working my way there with APRSISCE/32.
                    And as a result of the lack of notification implementation, many Mic-E
                    operators don't know what they're actually asking for with the "Special"
                    and "Priority" status selections.

                    >> PS. Click - Escape - Click - Escape and I can clear 1000s of eavesdrops pretty quickly.
                    > Is there a way to jump to the middle of a list of messages? For example, if there's a pile of status messages then a message actually addressed to me and then another pile of status messages, how can I jump to the ones for me without a constant barrage of click-escapes?

                    Not yet.

                    APRSISCE/32 uses a message type priority when delivering messages to
                    clicks on the green message pane. Messages directly addressed to you
                    will be shown first. Eavesdropped messages are shown last. Within each
                    grouping, the order is FIFO (First In First Out) or Oldest first. So,
                    when you start seeing messages from a lower priority grouping, you can
                    stop clicking unless you're interested in processing that grouping. All
                    higher priority groupings have been cleared.

                    Here's the message type/grouping priority order:

                    MESSAGE_TACTICAL, /* TACTICAL definition messages */
                    MESSAGE_ME, /* Messages addressed to me */
                    MESSAGE_COMPANION, /* Messages addressed to my companion(s) */
                    MESSAGE_MY, /* Messages to my base callsign */
                    MESSAGE_NWS, /* Messages from NWS */
                    MESSAGE_INTERNAL, /* Version Check messages */
                    MESSAGE_RUNNING, /* KJ4ERJ-sourced Running messages */
                    MESSAGE_GROUP, /* User-specified message groups */
                    MESSAGE_SPECIAL, /* Hard-coded special groups */
                    MESSAGE_RF, /* RF-Eavesdropped messages */
                    MESSAGE_EAVESDROP, /* Eavesdropped messages */
                    MESSAGE_UNSPECIFIED

                    Note that the Mic-E messages fall in the INTERNAL category.

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                  • Kurt Savegnago
                    Got it.  thanks all.                    Kurt Savegnago KC9LDH ... From: Steve Daniels Subject: RE:
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 3, 2013
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Got it.  thanks all.
                       
                                       Kurt Savegnago KC9LDH

                      --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Steve Daniels <steve@...> wrote:

                      From: Steve Daniels <steve@...>
                      Subject: RE: [aprsisce] Stupid Question/APRSIS32 jeopardy time!
                      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2013, 3:50 PM

                       

                      With the frequency monitor window showing go to enables and untick Frequency Monitor. Clicking the X on the window does not disable it.

                      The Yellow line is the Path of the last received transmission it will jump around as new packets arrive

                      You can turn it off and configure under screen paths

                       

                      Steve Daniels

                      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                      http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle

                      APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

                       


                      From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Kurt Savegnago
                      Sent: 02 January 2013 21:16
                      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                      Subject: [aprsisce] Stupid Question/APRSIS32 jeopardy time!

                       

                       

                       

                        I found doing a search how to shut off the pesky frequency monitor under "enables"

                      if one turns it on and can't get it off.  Now I have something different. 

                       

                        I did a fresh install on another laptop and have this behavior I see on the program screen but don't know "what I did".  Can you tell me what's going on? :-)

                       

                        At various intervals, I get an orange line the shoots from my station to the local digipeater and then out to other stations.  It will appear for awhile on a single station then disappear and then shoot out at another station.  What behavior is this? :-)

                       

                        I have APRSIS32 running on Rf with a D72a and it's GPS feeding the station position.

                      Nice touch.  I have IS turned off but have the internet connection for obtaining tiles.  The

                      72 is in APRS mode and I find it odd I can give it the transmit command from the keyboard and APRSIS32 will beacon.  It won't message of course in APRS mode from the APRSIS32 keyboard but I thought that was a quirk inherent with the 72.  I didn't think a beacon could be commanded from the keyboard with the 72 in APRS mode.  If one wants location and full features, they need to have a seperate USB GPS plugged in to the computer/laptop and run the 72 in PACKET mode?  The 72 has the latest 1.06 firmware. Thanks

                       

                                                                          Kurt KC9LDH

                      O.K.,

                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.