RE: [aprsisce] Stupid Question/APRSIS32 jeopardy time!

  • Adam Mahnke
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
      If I'm understanding this correctly, it's packet paths that you're viewing.

      Enables->Paths

      Can't help you with the D72 stuff.

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: ksaves2@...
      Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 13:15:30 -0800
      Subject: [aprsisce] Stupid Question/APRSIS32 jeopardy time!

      O.K.,

        I found doing a search how to shut off the pesky frequency monitor under "enables"
      if one turns it on and can't get it off.  Now I have something different.

        I did a fresh install on another laptop and have this behavior I see on the program screen but don't know "what I did".  Can you tell me what's going on? :-)

        At various intervals, I get an orange line the shoots from my station to the local digipeater and then out to other stations.  It will appear for awhile on a single station then disappear and then shoot out at another station.  What behavior is this? :-)

        I have APRSIS32 running on Rf with a D72a and it's GPS feeding the station position.
      Nice touch.  I have IS turned off but have the internet connection for obtaining tiles.  The
      72 is in APRS mode and I find it odd I can give it the transmit command from the keyboard and APRSIS32 will beacon.  It won't message of course in APRS mode from the APRSIS32 keyboard but I thought that was a quirk inherent with the 72.  I didn't think a beacon could be commanded from the keyboard with the 72 in APRS mode.  If one wants location and full features, they need to have a seperate USB GPS plugged in to the computer/laptop and run the 72 in PACKET mode?  The 72 has the latest 1.06 firmware. Thanks

                                                          Kurt KC9LDH

      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013

        With the frequency monitor window showing go to enables and untick Frequency Monitor. Clicking the X on the window does not disable it.

        The Yellow line is the Path of the last received transmission it will jump around as new packets arrive

        You can turn it off and configure under screen paths

        Steve Daniels

        Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

        Torbay Freecycle  Owner

        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013

          > On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM, kf4lvz <agcme2002@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I've been receiving quite a few messages that APRSIS32 is claiming
          > > (I'm guessing) to be for me. The message box lights green and when
          > > I click it, the title bar has the originating call sign followed by
          > > " -> KF4LVZ" which I take to mean directed to me.
          >
          > This is a case of the same term being used multiple times, but each
          > time the term is used, it has a different meaning.
          >
          > The message box should probably be called the notification box.

          Well I understand the concept of the indicator but I'm talking about an actual "Message Box" in Microsoft Windows GUI parlance which is the rectangular grey box with its own title bar and one or more buttons. The text in the title bar is formatted in such a way that it appears the message is directed to me:

          CALLSIGN -> KF4LVZ

          including that text arrow (dash, angle bracket combo). An arrow pointing at my own call sign says to me "Message for/sent to you". That's where my confusion happened because I didn't know any of the people sending messages.
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013

            Seems to me people you don’t know are messaging you. I get it a lot on my HF instance, usually someone being friendly with a GM (good morning, people tend to keep things short on HF)

            To me the point of Amateur Radio is talking to people you don’t know (at least to start)

            If you look to see where they are it maybe people local to you, wanting a chat.

            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
              Screen capture required. What EXACTLY does it say inside the
              notification box?

              PS. If someone can describe print-screen, paste into IrfanView, crop,
              copy and paste into an e-mail, I'd appreciate it. Sorry I'm so short,
              but time to get out to see The Hobbit with family!

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013

                Make sure the message box is the for most window and press Alt and print screen buttons at the same time, this will copy into the copy paste area. Then open your email client and paste the image in.

                I did and example image, which will hopefully get through the list.

                The above image (might come as an attachment) shows my HF instance messaging my VHF one, so G6UIM-14 has sent a message to G6UIM. Clicking on the button marked G6UIM-14 brings up the messaging window for replying.

                This system is also used for alerting to Mic-E alerts and APRSIS32 updates available.

                If you are seeing something similar to the image, then someone has sent you a message

                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
                  No image in your message but don't worry, I know how to take screen captures in a few OSes. ;)

                  Two samples of the boxes. Looks like it is the Mic-E messages but you have to agree that they look a lot like someone sent me a message.

                  http://acarver.net/aprsis/messageboxes.png

                  Not sending as an attachment, they don't work on the list and it's far easier to just send a link.
                • kf4lvz
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
                    --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Daniels" <steve@...> wrote:

                    > Seems to me people you don't know are messaging you. I get it a lot on my HF
                    > instance, usually someone being friendly with a GM (good morning, people
                    > tend to keep things short on HF)
                    >
                    > To me the point of Amateur Radio is talking to people you don't know (at
                    > least to start)
                    >
                    > If you look to see where they are it maybe people local to you, wanting a
                    > chat.

                    Not likely in this case because there is no message other than "Transmitted Status(Special)". If there was meaning in that (other than being a preconfigured message from a radio's firmware) then I might believe it was for me. It's too generic to be directed at me. The users are also not completely local, close but not close enough (about 80 miles away).

                    I agree that radio is about talking to people I don't know but I'll turn on my actual HF or VHF stations for that not sit on a screen.

                    I get plenty of Good Mornings and other things already. I turn those off mainly because the interface for messages isn't sufficient to skip messages that I don't need (clicking one at a time to get through the list is annoying when there are twenty messages of "Good Morning"). Xastir handles it a little better giving me a growing list of messages but it still pops up a dialog box full of them. I do understand why APRSIS/32 is written this way (screen real estate for the smaller handhelds, etc.) which is why I turn the feature off.
                  • Adam Mahnke
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
                      They're Mic-E notifications

                      go to Configure->Mic-E Notifications

                      and suppress which ones you like.

                      The program is doing what the APRS Spec calls for, notifying you of certain messages.

                      Refer to http://aprs.googlecode.com/files/APRS101.pdf  I think the Mic-E stuff starts on page 45, but I could be wrong, happens quite often.

                      Adam
                      KC2ANT

                      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                      From: agcme2002@...
                      Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 03:39:15 +0000

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
                        I thought I had disabled all of them but I missed two. I'll clear the rest of them out and see if it goes away.

                        Still, the dialog box is misleading since, to me, it looks like it's a message addressed to me rather than a broadcast message.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
                          It's a message addressed to everyone by the definition of Mic-E status.
                          Since you are one particular part of "everyone", and in order to be able
                          to quickly respond to their request to be noticed, the message is
                          formatted as it is.

                          See also http://aprs.org/aprs12/EmergencyCode.txt

                          PS. When you click on the green pending message pane, you can just hit
                          Escape to clear the message that is brought up. Click - Escape - Click
                          - Escape and I can clear 1000s of eavesdrops pretty quickly. You can
                          also use some of the Clear menu options to flush a bunch of eavesdrops
                          and/or ALL/CQ messages if you don't want to see any of them individually.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013

                            > It's a message addressed to everyone by the definition of Mic-E status.
                            > Since you are one particular part of "everyone", and in order to be able
                            > to quickly respond to their request to be noticed, the message is
                            > formatted as it is.
                            >
                            > See also http://aprs.org/aprs12/EmergencyCode.txt

                            I'm used to Emergency, wasn't used to anything else.

                            > PS. When you click on the green pending message pane, you can just hit
                            > Escape to clear the message that is brought up. Click - Escape - Click
                            > - Escape and I can clear 1000s of eavesdrops pretty quickly. You can
                            > also use some of the Clear menu options to flush a bunch of eavesdrops
                            > and/or ALL/CQ messages if you don't want to see any of them individually.

                            Is there a way to jump to the middle of a list of messages? For example, if there's a pile of status messages then a message actually addressed to me and then another pile of status messages, how can I jump to the ones for me without a constant barrage of click-escapes?
                          • Martyn Apperly
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013

                              Just so you’re not wondering about it, Steve.....your box did get through (at least, to me).

                              Martyn G6FSU

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 3, 2013
                                On 1/2/2013 11:52 PM, kf4lvz wrote:
                                >> See also http://aprs.org/aprs12/EmergencyCode.txt
                                > I'm used to Emergency, wasn't used to anything else.

                                That's because many other APRS clients have not attempted to implement
                                all of Bob's ideas. I'm still working my way there with APRSISCE/32.
                                And as a result of the lack of notification implementation, many Mic-E
                                operators don't know what they're actually asking for with the "Special"
                                and "Priority" status selections.

                                >> PS. Click - Escape - Click - Escape and I can clear 1000s of eavesdrops pretty quickly.
                                > Is there a way to jump to the middle of a list of messages? For example, if there's a pile of status messages then a message actually addressed to me and then another pile of status messages, how can I jump to the ones for me without a constant barrage of click-escapes?

                                Not yet.

                                APRSISCE/32 uses a message type priority when delivering messages to
                                clicks on the green message pane. Messages directly addressed to you
                                will be shown first. Eavesdropped messages are shown last. Within each
                                grouping, the order is FIFO (First In First Out) or Oldest first. So,
                                when you start seeing messages from a lower priority grouping, you can
                                stop clicking unless you're interested in processing that grouping. All
                                higher priority groupings have been cleared.

                                Here's the message type/grouping priority order:

                                MESSAGE_TACTICAL, /* TACTICAL definition messages */
                                MESSAGE_ME, /* Messages addressed to me */
                                MESSAGE_COMPANION, /* Messages addressed to my companion(s) */
                                MESSAGE_MY, /* Messages to my base callsign */
                                MESSAGE_NWS, /* Messages from NWS */
                                MESSAGE_INTERNAL, /* Version Check messages */
                                MESSAGE_RUNNING, /* KJ4ERJ-sourced Running messages */
                                MESSAGE_GROUP, /* User-specified message groups */
                                MESSAGE_SPECIAL, /* Hard-coded special groups */
                                MESSAGE_RF, /* RF-Eavesdropped messages */
                                MESSAGE_EAVESDROP, /* Eavesdropped messages */
                                MESSAGE_UNSPECIFIED

                                Note that the Mic-E messages fall in the INTERNAL category.

                              • Kurt Savegnago
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 3, 2013
                                  Got it.  thanks all.

                                                   Kurt Savegnago KC9LDH