Re: [aprsisce] What do I need to get APRS info to show up on APRSce

  • Greg Dolkas
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012

      APRSISCE runs on devices that use the older Windows Mobile 5, 6, or 6.5 operating system.  Yours runs Android, if my Google search was accurate, so you'll need a different App than the one discussed in this Group.

      I'm looking at moving to Android myself.  There appear to be a few APRS Apps in the Store to choose from.  None seem to be as refined as Lynn's program, at least not yet, but they might get you started.

      Good luck and 73,

      Greg KO6TH

      On Dec 30, 2012 9:52 PM, "Ramakrishnan K.A." <vu2kuc2@...> wrote:

      can i use aprsisce in my mobile telephone GT-S6102 if possible what i
      have to do can anybody

      help me in this subject.

      vu2kuc

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
        AFAIK, there are 2 Android APRS applications, U2APRS and APRSdroid.  I've heard better things about APRSdroid than U2APRS.  APRSdroid costs $$ via the Android Market, but the APK can be downloaded from the author's web site http://aprsdroid.org/

        On 12/31/2012 1:07 AM, Greg Dolkas wrote:

        APRSISCE runs on devices that use the older Windows Mobile 5, 6, or 6.5 operating system.  Yours runs Android, if my Google search was accurate, so you'll need a different App than the one discussed in this Group.

        I'm looking at moving to Android myself.  There appear to be a few APRS Apps in the Store to choose from.  None seem to be as refined as Lynn's program, at least not yet, but they might get you started.

        Good luck and 73,

        Greg KO6TH

        On Dec 30, 2012 9:52 PM, "Ramakrishnan K.A." <vu2kuc2@...> wrote:

        can i use aprsisce in my mobile telephone GT-S6102 if possible what i
        have to do can anybody

        help me in this subject.

        vu2kuc

        On 12/31/12, Steve Daniels <steve@...> wrote:
        > APRSISCE/32 will show nearby stations with just internet access. Without
        > internet access and mobile you will need a receiver or better a
        > transceiver.
        > You can use a software TNC such as Dire Wolf, UZ7HO modem or AGW. You will
        > need an interface to trigger the PTT or VOX, or a hardware TNC such as a
        > TNC-X which is KISS only. Connect a GPS unit to the computer and
        > APRSISCE/32
        > can do all the work.
        >
        > The alternative is to use a mobile phone with data connection and one of
        > the
        > APRS programs available for the various phone OS's
        >
        > I think using a phone is cheating a bit from an Amateur Radio point of view
        >

        > Steve Daniels
        >
        > Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
        >
        > Torbay Freecycle Owner

        > APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com
        >

        > _____

      • Rob Giuliano
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
          I am not sure what you mean.
            The original post asked:
               "I am currently using a Garmin GPS 60 connected to a TT3+. What do I need
               to have connected to my computer to show APRS locations of near by hams?"
          In order to "... show APRS locations of near by hams?" you will need to receive their position reports - from somewhere.  Somewhere is either RF or internet.

          The TT3+ can only receive GPS as an input.  It cannot decode APRS information from the radio.  For that you need the TT4.

          Robert Giuliano
          KB8RCO

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 27, 2013
            Thank you everyone for your replies. I will invest in a TNC as I would like to take full advantage of this software.