What do I need to get APRS info to show up on APRSce

  • grumpyguard2000
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012
      I am currently using a Garmin GPS 60 connected to a TT3+. What do I need to have connected to my computer to show APRS locations of near by hams?
      Can I also do this mobile with out an internet connection?

      Thank you
    • Bob Burns W9RXR
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012
        At 01:11 PM 12/30/2012, grumpyguard2000 wrote:

        >I am currently using a Garmin GPS 60 connected to a TT3+. What do I
        >need to have connected to my computer to show APRS locations of near by hams?

        You need a TNC that can receive as well as transmit and you need a
        TNC with a computer interface (which most have). The TinyTrak3 is a
        good APRS tracker, but it is what some folks call a "dumb tracker"
        because transmitting your position via APRS is pretty much all it can do.

        Examples of TNCs that can do what you need are the Argent Data
        Tracker2 or Tracker3 line, Byonics TinyTrak4, Kantronics KPC3 or
        KPC3+, and others. The primary difference between these TNCs and the
        one you have is that these can decode received packets.

        >Can I also do this mobile with out an internet connection?

        Yes. Your radio, your receive-capable TNC, your GPS, and a computer
        running an APRS client program, such as APRSIS/32, can show received
        APRS packets and place them on a map.

        Bob...
      • Colin XSD
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012
          What Bob said is all correct but I would just elaborate a bit on this bit:
          'Yes. Your radio, your receive-capable TNC, your GPS, and a computer
          running an APRS client program, such as APRSIS/32, can show received
          APRS packets and place them on a map.'

          I think the interface on your GPS 60 is the same as my 60CSx, in which case you only need a TNC that is also Rx capable connected to the TNC (with a bi-directional cable), assuming you have everything setup correctly, you will see any packets with positons on the GPS as waypoints'
          If you go for a TNC like the TT4 that has 2 ports you can have one connected to the GPS (showing the waypoints) and the other port connected to a APRSISCE32/64 device to gain all the advantages of Lynn's software (and this connection could be via the optional Bluetooth interface with the TT4).
          I'm sure Lynn runs such a system himself, so I'm sure he will comment when he has finished enjoying his vacation (or takes a break from his vacation).

          73,
          Colin
          M0XSD.

        • kc8sfq@mei.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012
            > Can I also do this mobile with out an internet connection?

            />You're darn tootin you can. It's my favorite mode of navigation. It combines three of my favorite things. Driving, Ham Radio and maps.

            73, KC8SFQ-13  Ron
          • Rob Giuliano
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012
              Contrary to another post, if you want to see other stations on your screen, you will either need the internet (to get to reach APRSIS) or a sound card modem (decoder) for APRSce/32 to receive any stations.  The TT3+ is TRANSMIT only.

              If, however, you mean a TT4 (full TNC), then you can receive RF stations.

              You will likely need to cache maps to see that portion.

              Robert Giuliano
              KB8RCO

              I am currently using a Garmin GPS 60 connected to a TT3+. What do I need to have connected to my computer to show APRS locations of near by hams?
              Can I also do this mobile with out an internet connection?

              Thank you

            • m0xsd
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012
                Rob,

                Can you show the relevant part of the Post that says you can 'see other stations on your screen' with a TT3+?, I haven't seen that one.

                The only ones I've seen say you need something like a TT4 and/or an Internet connection.

                Please reply to me direct to save clogging up the group any more and I will investigate why I can't see it.

                Colin
                M0XSD.

                --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:

                > Contrary to another post, if you want to see other stations on your screen, you will either need the internet (to get to reach APRSIS) or a sound card modem (decoder) for APRSce/32 to receive any stations.  The TT3+ is TRANSMIT only.
                >
                > If, however, you mean a TT4 (full TNC), then you can receive RF stations.
                >
                > You will likely need to cache maps to see that portion.
                >
                > Robert Giuliano
                > KB8RCO

              • Dave Aitch OCN
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012
                  Colin.

                  You say APRS CE. Is that on an IPAQ or something similar ?

                  I have APRS CE running on an IPAQ 5550 with the THD7G.

                  Dave G1OCN.

                • Colin XSD

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012

                      OK Colin.

                      Last time I used APRS CE was in 2008 in VP8 land.

                      I got a signal through the ISS with the THD7G ! :0)

                      I havnt used APRSIS32 with RF, so cant help.

                      Good luck.

                      Dave.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012

                        APRSISCE/32 will show nearby stations with just internet access. Without internet access and mobile you will need a receiver or better a transceiver. You can use a software TNC such as Dire Wolf, UZ7HO modem or AGW. You will need an interface to trigger the PTT or VOX, or a hardware TNC such as a TNC-X which is KISS only. Connect a GPS unit to the computer and APRSISCE/32 can do all the work.

                        The alternative is to use a mobile phone with data connection and one of the APRS programs available for the various phone OS’s

                        I think using a phone is cheating a bit from an Amateur Radio point of view

                        Steve Daniels

                        Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                        Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                        I am currently using a Garmin GPS 60 connected to a TT3+. What do I need to have connected to my computer to show APRS locations of near by hams?
                        Can I also do this mobile with out an internet connection?

                        Thank you

                      • Ramakrishnan K.A.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012
                          can i use aprsisce in my mobile telephone GT-S6102 if possible what i
                          have to do can anybody

                          help me in this subject.

                          vu2kuc

                          On 12/31/12, Steve Daniels <steve@...> wrote:
                          > APRSISCE/32 will show nearby stations with just internet access. Without
                          > internet access and mobile you will need a receiver or better a
                          > transceiver.
                          > You can use a software TNC such as Dire Wolf, UZ7HO modem or AGW. You will
                          > need an interface to trigger the PTT or VOX, or a hardware TNC such as a
                          > TNC-X which is KISS only. Connect a GPS unit to the computer and
                          > APRSISCE/32
                          > can do all the work.
                          >
                          > The alternative is to use a mobile phone with data connection and one of
                          > the
                          > APRS programs available for the various phone OS's
                          >
                          > I think using a phone is cheating a bit from an Amateur Radio point of view
                          >

                          > Steve Daniels
                          >
                          > Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
                          >
                          > Torbay Freecycle Owner

                          > APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com
                          >

                          > _____

                        • Greg Dolkas
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012

                            APRSISCE runs on devices that use the older Windows Mobile 5, 6, or 6.5 operating system.  Yours runs Android, if my Google search was accurate, so you'll need a different App than the one discussed in this Group.

                            I'm looking at moving to Android myself.  There appear to be a few APRS Apps in the Store to choose from.  None seem to be as refined as Lynn's program, at least not yet, but they might get you started.

                            Good luck and 73,

                            Greg KO6TH

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
                              AFAIK, there are 2 Android APRS applications, U2APRS and APRSdroid.  I've heard better things about APRSdroid than U2APRS.  APRSdroid costs $$ via the Android Market, but the APK can be downloaded from the author's web site http://aprsdroid.org/

                              On 12/31/2012 1:07 AM, Greg Dolkas wrote:

                              APRSISCE runs on devices that use the older Windows Mobile 5, 6, or 6.5 operating system.  Yours runs Android, if my Google search was accurate, so you'll need a different App than the one discussed in this Group.

                              I'm looking at moving to Android myself.  There appear to be a few APRS Apps in the Store to choose from.  None seem to be as refined as Lynn's program, at least not yet, but they might get you started.

                              Good luck and 73,

                              Greg KO6TH

                              On Dec 30, 2012 9:52 PM, "Ramakrishnan K.A." <vu2kuc2@...> wrote:

                              can i use aprsisce in my mobile telephone GT-S6102 if possible what i
                              have to do can anybody

                              help me in this subject.

                              vu2kuc

                              On 12/31/12, Steve Daniels <steve@...> wrote:
                              > APRSISCE/32 will show nearby stations with just internet access. Without
                              > internet access and mobile you will need a receiver or better a
                              > transceiver.
                              > You can use a software TNC such as Dire Wolf, UZ7HO modem or AGW. You will
                              > need an interface to trigger the PTT or VOX, or a hardware TNC such as a
                              > TNC-X which is KISS only. Connect a GPS unit to the computer and
                              > APRSISCE/32
                              > can do all the work.
                              >
                              > The alternative is to use a mobile phone with data connection and one of
                              > the
                              > APRS programs available for the various phone OS's
                              >
                              > I think using a phone is cheating a bit from an Amateur Radio point of view
                              >

                              > Steve Daniels
                              >
                              > Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
                              >
                              > Torbay Freecycle Owner

                              > APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com
                              >

                              > _____

                            • Rob Giuliano
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
                                I am not sure what you mean.
                                  The original post asked:
                                     "I am currently using a Garmin GPS 60 connected to a TT3+. What do I need
                                     to have connected to my computer to show APRS locations of near by hams?"
                                In order to "... show APRS locations of near by hams?" you will need to receive their position reports - from somewhere.  Somewhere is either RF or internet.

                                The TT3+ can only receive GPS as an input.  It cannot decode APRS information from the radio.  For that you need the TT4.

                                Robert Giuliano
                                KB8RCO

                                --- In mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com, Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:

                                > Contrary to another post, if you want to see other stations on your screen, you will either need the internet (to get to reach APRSIS) or a sound card modem (decoder) for APRSce/32 to receive any stations.  The TT3+ is TRANSMIT only.
                                >
                                > If, however, you mean a TT4 (full TNC), then you can receive RF stations.
                                >
                                > You will likely need to cache maps to see that portion.
                                >
                                > Robert Giuliano
                                > KB8RCO

                              • grumpyguard2000
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 27, 2013
                                  Thank you everyone for your replies. I will invest in a TNC as I would like to take full advantage of this software.