Windows Mobile platform expiring

  • Greg D
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 29, 2012
      Hi Lynn,

      Just to let you know... My employer has informed us that they will stop
      allowing a bunch of mobile devices to connect to the network, due to
      security concerns. This includes Windows Mobile 5, 6.x, and 7
      (already!). They're targeting May, 2013, and claim that this will not
      simply be a passive "won't support" sort of thing; they're claiming that
      the devices will be actively blocked.

      I've been using my trusty iPAQ (Windows Mobile 5) for several years now,
      partly because it integrates well with my employer's services (email &
      calendar), and partly because of APRSISCE. So, I'll need to figure out
      how to do both on Android.

      So, just letting you know... The move to Android isn't only about not
      being able to purchase a suitable phone; the older devices are becoming
      increasingly difficult to use.

      You've stated that the next platform for APRSISCE will be Android...
      Any idea what sort of time horizon that will be? It's the best APRS
      client I've found, and will hate to leave it behind when I'm forced to move.

      Thanks,

      Greg KO6TH
    • Bob Burns W9RXR
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 16, 2013
        At 06:32 PM 1/14/2013, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

        >Now if anyone has a D72 they'd like to part with for cheap, please
        >contact me off-list!

        I'm a few days behind this conversation, but let me toss out an idea.

        If a happy user of your program were to set up a fund that took up a
        collection among other happy users to buy you a radio, would that be
        a tax problem? I'd be happy to contribute to such a fund or even administer it.

        Bob...