Re: KD5NJR-10 worked with TH-D72 HT

  • n7tek1g
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2012
      Scott, KD5NJR (or anyone else in the group):

      I received a Kenwood TH-D72A as a gift a few days ago and I loaded APRSIS32 on my WinXP laptop last night (THANK YOU to all those that helped create APRSIS!!!!). I've searched through this groups posts looking for details on how to connect the Kenwood TH-D72A to APRSIS but this email that I'm replying to seems to be the only one that hints that it is possible and has been done. Sorry if this is a simple process - I'm still working my way through figuring out how everything on the Kenwood TH-D72A works in my spare moments (if someone knows of a good source for info on the Kenwood TH-D72A HT please share it with me off the group).

      Thank you & 73 de N7TEK
      John Blackham, N7TEK
      E-MAIL: n7tek1 -at- gmail

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kd5njr" <kd5njr@...> wrote:

      > Friday evening, I putted around with my Kenwood HT and got it to work with APRSIS. Using the D710packet profile as suggested in the archives of this group.
      >
      > Things weren't looking good at first, but once I removed and reloaded the serial port driver software, the MCP-4 software worked (most of the time) and then APRSIS started to act right.
      >
      > A couple questions :
      >
      > Q1 : Is there a "best practice" around in what order to fire up APRSIS, turn on the Kenwood, switch on the TNC, and change it to packet mode ? Of course, all these things must be done, but sometimes I get some error messages in the TNC log that look like the COM port isn't working.
      >
      > Q2 : I noticed that to make this work I have to sometimes unplug, then plug back in my USB cable. I assume this resets the virtual serial port driver.
      >
      > Anyway, most of the time working well. When it's not, I just unplug then plug in the USB cable and I'm good. Using the HT and the laptop, I probably won't leave this in-service full time. Just now and again when I'm monitoring the local repater on the weekend. Or when going out of town....
      >
      > Thanks for an interesting piece of software.
      >
      > 73
      > Scott
      > KD5NJR

    • Colin XSD
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 29, 2012
        I think the easiest (and possibly only) way to connect the D72 to your Laptop is with the USB interface cable for the Radio. Jusat connect the Radio to the Laptop and discover which COM port it uses and setup APRSIS32 to suit.

        The Port config for the D72 is here: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/th-d72

        I don't own a D72 (but a D7) so I'm going by memory but hopefully this will get you started and someone with more specific knowledge will be along to help shortly.

        73,
        Colin
        M0XSD.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 29, 2012
          IIRC, the D72 can also do everything the D710 can do, except maybe the GPS passthrough (check the D72 Yahoo group for info on that).  You therefore might want to start with:

          http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port:kenwood-tm-d710

          and if you've never used APRSISCE/32 with an RF port, please watch Julian G4ILO's port introduction video at:

          http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration

          And if you're totally new to APRSISCE/32, start with his first time use video at:

          http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/initial-startup

          On 12/29/2012 1:49 PM, Colin XSD wrote:
          I think the easiest (and possibly only) way to connect the D72 to your Laptop is with the USB interface cable for the Radio. Jusat connect the Radio to the Laptop and discover which COM port it uses and setup APRSIS32 to suit.

          The Port config for the D72 is here: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/th-d72

          I don't own a D72 (but a D7) so I'm going by memory but hopefully this will get you started and someone with more specific knowledge will be along to help shortly.

          73,
          Colin
          M0XSD.

          On 29/12/2012 18:21, n7tek1g wrote:

          Scott, KD5NJR (or anyone else in the group):

          I received a Kenwood TH-D72A as a gift a few days ago and I loaded APRSIS32 on my WinXP laptop last night (THANK YOU to all those that helped create APRSIS!!!!). I've searched through this groups posts looking for details on how to connect the Kenwood TH-D72A to APRSIS but this email that I'm replying to seems to be the only one that hints that it is possible and has been done. Sorry if this is a simple process - I'm still working my way through figuring out how everything on the Kenwood TH-D72A works in my spare moments (if someone knows of a good source for info on the Kenwood TH-D72A HT please share it with me off the group).

          Thank you & 73 de N7TEK
          John Blackham, N7TEK
          E-MAIL: n7tek1 -at- gmail

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kd5njr" <kd5njr@...> wrote:

          > Friday evening, I putted around with my Kenwood HT and got it to work with APRSIS. Using the D710packet profile as suggested in the archives of this group.
          >
          > Things weren't looking good at first, but once I removed and reloaded the serial port driver software, the MCP-4 software worked (most of the time) and then APRSIS started to act right.
          >
          > A couple questions :
          >
          > Q1 : Is there a "best practice" around in what order to fire up APRSIS, turn on the Kenwood, switch on the TNC, and change it to packet mode ? Of course, all these things must be done, but sometimes I get some error messages in the TNC log that look like the COM port isn't working.
          >
          > Q2 : I noticed that to make this work I have to sometimes unplug, then plug back in my USB cable. I assume this resets the virtual serial port driver.
          >
          > Anyway, most of the time working well. When it's not, I just unplug then plug in the USB cable and I'm good. Using the HT and the laptop, I probably won't leave this in-service full time. Just now and again when I'm monitoring the local repater on the weekend. Or when going out of town....
          >
          > Thanks for an interesting piece of software.
          >
          > 73
          > Scott
          > KD5NJR

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 29, 2012
            there are a couple of fairly good youtube video's to get you up and running on aprs, just type Kenwood TH-D72A in the search box!

            73
            Steve
            kf6wax