Re: [aprsisce] Gating Winlink, Echolink and IRLP objects to RF?

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2012
      Tony VE6MVP wrote...

      > So I'm poking about and see that there are ways to, somehow,
      > gate Winlink, Echolink and IRLP objects to RF.

      If they would be useful to mobile hams, it would be good to gate
      them to RF. The APRS IRLP status objects are generated by a
      script on the node itself and (if done properly) will include the
      frequency, tone, offset, node number and the actual status... e.g.
      idle, connected to XXX etc.

      > Do I create an object? I wouldn't think so because these are
      > already objects that exist in the APRS servers. Do I add
      > something to the filter?

      The objects already exist, so you would just need to get them from
      the APRS-IS and gate them RF. Regarding the actual steps, sorry,
      I'm not an aprsisce user.

      > Hmm, and while I think about it the repeater objects could come from
      > repeaterbook.com. After all they have all the data required such as
      > frequencies, tones and position. (Although, granted, they don't
      > change much). Although that should really be done by the folks
      > running the APRS servers.

      Servers? Ideally, they would be created by digi operators. The
      repeaters are usually high for better coverage. Ideally, a high digi
      would generate the repeater object and send it out every 10 minutes
      with no path. Even better, the digi would be right at the repeater site
      and have almost identical coverage.

      > In thinking about these I would put these objects on a WIDE1-1 path.

      Fixed stations should never use WIDE1-1. A one hop path would
      be WIDE2-1.

      > That way they would appear on the mobile operators device when
      > one hop away and thus would be available for use once the mobile
      > operator gets within voice range of the repeater. Also if the object
      > is only transmitted every 30 minutes this would give some time for
      > the mobile operator to travel into the object area. In addition I am
      > in a very low APRS traffic area. Basically only about three of us
      > APRS users for 60 or 80 miles other than travellers.

      Ideally, repeater objects would be generated by a WIDEn-N digi
      and go out every 10 minutes with no path.

      Even if use is sparse, I would recommend using good practices
      and not using WIDE1-1 for anything from a fixed station.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      www.ui-view.org