Feature Request - Droid Dryer-Outer

  • warunck
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 20, 2012
      For those who have been wondering why they haven't seen KK4DFZ-5 on the IS for a couple of days, the answer can be viewed at:

      http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=14&call=a%2FKK4DFZ-5&timerange=3600

      We couldn't wait for the end of the world, so we settled for the edge of America. Zoom the satellite view and the mystery starts to reveal itself.

      Yes, my trusty and faithful X is taking a prolonged rice nap to try and rejoin the ranks of the beaconing. Wish us luck. Any success stories of recovery from salt water immersion would be appreciated.

      Actually the feature I'd like to have is the ability to put a geo-referenced chart/map file (like a NOAA KAP file) underneath the APRS activity in place of the OSM-type tiles. I wouldn't mind having to select a background file each time a new chart was required, as I haven't found a nautical tile server for US waters yet.

      If that's not possible, can anyone talk me through setting up a port to allow for APRS messaging back from the Great Beyond? We're inside of 12 hours to go and I'd like to remain reachable.

      See you all on the other side,
      Walter
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 21, 2012
        So, you have or have not recovered the actual device? Sorry it decided
        to take a dip, but...

        Rule #1 for any electronics-water encounter - turn it off ASAP and pull
        the battery! The tendency is to turn it on right away to "see if it
        works" and that's the worst possible thing to do. You want to minimize
        the chance of the water shorting something out by removing all power
        sources, not forcing more power to go more places by "testing" the device.

        Then strip it down, rinse it thoroughly if it was salt water, and then
        dry it thoroughly. You can even use a blow dryer, but I'd be careful
        with getting it too warm as these surface-mount devices are just
        oven-baked and I wouldn't want to soften anything. Just the warm moving
        air should speed the drying process.

        Then reassemble and pray as you re-insert the battery and turn it on.

        But, given your request for arbitrary geo-referenced backgrounds for the
        maps, I'm wondering if you're still trying to get out to the last beacon
        point to search for the device again. If so, just select the last known
        coordinates as a destination and home in on it that way. Setting a
        destination isn't as easy as I hope it to become, but for now:

        Right click on the map and note the coordinates at the bottom of the
        popup menu. Keep right clicking and zooming in until you get to the
        right place. Then select the coordinates cascading menu and "Set
        Destination" from there. A new pane should appear in one of the upper
        corners of your map showing range and bearing to the destination
        coordinates.

        Oh, and if you click on a station, you'll see "Set Destination" in that
        menu as well. As that station (and you, if mobile) moves, the
        range/bearing will update based on the new positions. If you're both
        mobile, you can see the closing happen when either of you moves.

        PS. Set Destination also works in conjunction with View / Geocaches...
        so you'll have an idea why it was added. Eventually it'll give a
        compass rose, but haven't gotten there yet.

        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 21, 2012
          Hi Walter,

          Check out this page!

          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 21, 2012
            At 07:29 AM 12/21/2012, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

            >Rule #1 for any electronics-water encounter - turn it off ASAP and
            >pull the battery!

            Good advice, but tough to accomplish with some smart phones (iPhones
            and Droid RAZRs to name two).

            Bob...
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 21, 2012
              I thought this was a pretty cool product:

              I have no idea how well it works and it is one of those things that testing might make me apprehensive.

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 21, 2012
                I've had fair success with placing the device in a container of rice as well. That seems to absorb water vapor and moisture.

                Larry Overcast
                Sent from my iPhone

                On Dec 21, 2012, at 8:00 AM, Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...> wrote:

                At 07:29 AM 12/21/2012, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

                >Rule #1 for any electronics-water encounter - turn it off ASAP and
                >pull the battery!

                Good advice, but tough to accomplish with some smart phones (iPhones
                and Droid RAZRs to name two).

                Bob...

              • KK4DFZ
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 22, 2012

                  Lynn and the rest of this interesting and lively group, thanks for the electronics recovery advice.

                  The phone (Moto Droid X) never left my pocket.  I was thrown from a jet ski while trying to shortcut through a shallow patch to get along down the coast.  As an APRS junkie, I was running a track using APRSdroid since it was a calm day and I don’t have a waterproof 2M rig.  The phone was in a lifevest pocket and took the same dunking as the rest of me.  Bad judgement on my part.  The funny part is that if you zoom aprs.fi close enough on the last beacon, the seas turn  from calm to rough due to different days/times of the imagery.  Déjà vu all over again.

                  It was a couple of hours before I could take a look at the phone and while it showed some signs of life initially, it hasn’t responded in days.  My next move is a 100% iso alcohol bath and a slow dessication.  Replacement phone is on order, so this is just to try and recover some contacts and a parts/spare phone.

                  As far as map/tile orientation goes, I’m leery of anything that would tempt a user to use the client as a automotive- style GPS navigator.  All I was looking for was a way to put a chart underneath the aprs activity layer from the comfort of the shack, not as a chartplotter or piloting device.  SeaClear does fine for that; it just won’t accept aprs formatted packets.  Now, if APRSIS32 was outputting NMEA sentences with target/waypoint data to a port that another app could read, that would be very cool.  Maybe it already can and I just can’t figure out how to make it happen.

                  Anyway, thanks and happy holidays to all,

                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 22, 2012
                    On 12/22/2012 12:13 PM, KK4DFZ wrote:
                     Now, if APRSIS32 was outputting NMEA sentences with target/waypoint data to a port that another app could read, that would be very cool.  Maybe it already can and I just can’t figure out how to make it happen.

                    Not yet.   But that'd be quite a nice addition for the NMEA output port as an option now, wouldn't it.  Would you want only RF-received packets to generate target/waypoint data or ALL processed packets to do that?  Do you think your NMEA consumer could handle generated waypoints for a full APRS-IS feed?

                    PS.  Now which NMEA sentence(s) should I support generating?
                  • Colin XSD
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 22, 2012
                      On 22/12/2012 18:07, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

                      > PS. Now which NMEA sentence(s) should I support generating?
                      I would have thought all that where available but selectable in the
                      Config Menu since it would depend on the application.

                      73,
                      Colin,
                      M0XSD.
                    • kc8sfq@mei.net
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 22, 2012
                        > As far as map/tile orientation goes, I’m leery of anything that
                        would
                        > tempt
                        > a user to use the client as a automotive- style GPS navigator.

                        That is precisely MY purpose for building my APRS equipment. Tactical awareness of the terrain and the stations around me. I too was trained by the Boy Scouts and later the Military to orient my map to the terrain.

                        For the moment, I'll continue to use this cool program and just to do the mental gymnastics.

                        BTW, The SCREEN-FOLLOW-ME-LOCKED worked great on this morning's road trip.

                        73 KC8SFQ, Ron
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 22, 2012
                          On 12/22/2012 2:54 PM, kc8sfq@... wrote:

                          BTW, The SCREEN-FOLLOW-ME-LOCKED worked great on this morning's road trip.

                          That was actually the original behavior, but folks kept complaining that the screen kept snapping back to the followed station (or ME which was really a pain with 1 second GPS updates).  When I made it optional, I knew that touch screen users (like me on the Tilt) would still want access to that behavior.

                          Eventually I'm hoping to hook the "snap back" locked feature to something like the cross-hairs timer so that you can pan around but when you stop panning long enough, the screen will re-center on the tracked station.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 22, 2012

                            I am not against have maps that orientate themselves to direction of travel, but it’s not an easy thing to do with bitmapped tiles and processor intensive, it would need different maps and recoding of the map display..

                            That said I don’t suppose it would be hard with the current maps, to rotate the tiles/map in 90 degree steps, which would probably be close enough to what you want. The main four compass points the one closest to direction of travel being at the top.

                            There are plenty of other things I would rather Lynn coded first however.

                            Steve Daniels

                            Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                            Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 22, 2012
                              > Eventually I'm hoping to hook the "snap back" locked
                              feature to
                              > something like the cross-hairs timer so that you can pan around but when
                              > you stop panning long enough, the screen will re-center on the tracked
                              > station.

                              Hi Lynn,
                              That's a cool idea too. The snap back worked real well today, It is definitely my default mode when on the road.

                              BTW I'm still waiting for the feature that puts up the top on my Jeep-icon when I drive into a NWS object with rain.  :~)

                              73, Ron  KC8SFQ
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 22, 2012
                                On 12/22/2012 4:19 PM, kc8sfq@... wrote:
                                BTW I'm still waiting for the feature that puts up the top on my Jeep-icon when I drive into a NWS object with rain.  :~)

                                Wrong holiday.  This is Christmas, not April Fools!  <grin>

                                PS.  I want a feature that recognizes one of my vehicles coming down the street and automatically opens the garage door when the DR hits the end of the driveway.
                              • PE1RDW
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 22, 2012
                                  On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 22:31:31 +0100, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                  <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                                  > On 12/22/2012 4:19 PM, kc8sfq@... wrote:
                                  >>

                                  >> BTW I'm still waiting for the feature that puts up the top on my
                                  >> Jeep-icon when I drive into a NWS object with rain. :~)
                                  >
                                  > Wrong holiday. This is Christmas, not April Fools! <grin>

                                  > PS. I want a feature that recognizes one of my vehicles coming down the
                                  > street and automatically opens the garage door when the DR hits the end
                                  > of the driveway.

                                  wasn't there a home automation system that used aprs-is proximety alerts
                                  for some functions?
                                  --
                                  73 Andre PE1RDW
                                • kc8sfq@mei.net
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 22, 2012

                                    > Wrong holiday. This is Christmas, not April Fools!
                                    <grin>

                                    You mean I gotta wait all the way till April???
                                    BTW since the world didn't end last night, are you likely to attend Dayton? I've been twice now....Wow, too much to see, for the one day I can go. But a blast, none the less.

                                    Merry Christmas, Lynn

                                    73, KC8SFQ  Ron
                                  • Yahoo
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 22, 2012

                                      On 12/22/2012 2:54 PM, kc8sfq@... wrote:

                                      BTW, The SCREEN-FOLLOW-ME-LOCKED worked great on this morning's road trip.

                                      That was actually the original behavior, but folks kept complaining that the screen kept snapping back to the followed station (or ME which was really a pain with 1 second GPS updates).  When I made it optional, I knew that touch screen users (like me on the Tilt) would still want access to that behavior.

                                      Eventually I'm hoping to hook the "snap back" locked feature to something like the cross-hairs timer so that you can pan around but when you stop panning long enough, the screen will re-center on the tracked station.

                                      I would love to see that upgrade in the Program.
                                      Merry Christmas All.
                                      Rick

                                    Message 18 of 26 , Dec 22, 2012

                                      I would generate as many of the $GP sentences as you can, some of them you can build from sentences not sent by the GPS unit.

                                      The unit I have attached sends $GPRMC,$GPVTG,$GPGGA,$GPGSA,$GPGSV

                                      Have been over this in the past with you but the GGA sentence sends HDOP which could be used to tell device how accurate the GPS thinks it’s location is.

                                      It would be good to have a 1 second pulse of data so if the device it capable it could be synced to the main APRS computer time wise.

                                      Waypoints are a great idea to send with the ability to turn them off if not required.

                                      For those interested http://www.catb.org/gpsd/ is a mine of information on GPS tech

                                      On the subject of RF, on the soundDoppler thread it’s been pointed out that APRS transmission over RF from APRSISCE32 could skew the RDF data, so we need to look and see if a NMEA sentence can be hijacked sensibly to provide a transmitting/not transmitting so it knows to possibly ignore anything in that period.

                                      Have renamed in an attempt to bring discussions of the NMEA output port into one place and leave room for discussion about what could be happening with NMEA input as well.

                                      Steve Daniels

                                      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                                      Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                                       Now, if APRSIS32 was outputting NMEA sentences with target/waypoint data to a port that another app could read, that would be very cool.  Maybe it already can and I just can’t figure out how to make it happen.

                                      Not yet.   But that'd be quite a nice addition for the NMEA output port as an option now, wouldn't it.  Would you want only RF-received packets to generate target/waypoint data or ALL processed packets to do that?  Do you think your NMEA consumer could handle generated waypoints for a full APRS-IS feed?

                                      PS.  Now which NMEA sentence(s) should I support generating?

                                    • Gary Sanders
                                      Message 19 of 26 , Dec 22, 2012
                                        On 12/22/2012 4:36 PM, PE1RDW wrote:
                                        > On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 22:31:31 +0100, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                        >
                                        >> PS. I want a feature that recognizes one of my vehicles coming down the
                                        >> street and automatically opens the garage door when the DR hits the end
                                        >> of the driveway.
                                        >
                                        > wasn't there a home automation system that used aprs-is proximety alerts
                                        > for some functions?

                                        That was (is) a project called Mr House, written in Perl, that I've used
                                        for several years. It had a module that would grab APRS data and use it
                                        to create voice notifications when a user was located near specific
                                        locations.

                                        Unfortunately, until recently the activity on the mrhouse reflector had
                                        been sparse for quite a while. (There has been some recent traffic due
                                        to the repository changing from SVN to git, and ongoing Insteon issues.)
                                        The APRS module hasn't functioned for at least three or four years, and
                                        has no maintainer.

                                        At this point, since the demise of the APRS module I just use the
                                        program for lighting and audio control.

                                        Which leads me to a question Lynn - a while back I made a feature
                                        request for a movement alarm - an audio alert when an APRS unit moved
                                        "X" amount from it's previous location. I think it's on the to-do list
                                        under my old call - WB0BZR. Any idea when you'll be getting into that
                                        area of the code? By the way, it would be relatively trivial (but
                                        drastic overkill) for Mr House to open the garage door, if given a
                                        contact closure, or any of a number of other notification types from
                                        APRSISCE. :)

                                        Gary Sanders W0BY
                                        Message 20 of 26 , Dec 22, 2012
                                          On 12/22/2012 6:49 PM, Steve Daniels wrote:
                                          It would be good to have a 1 second pulse of data so if the device it capable it could be synced to the main APRS computer time wise.

                                          We're talking about 4800 baud serial data.  That's 480 characters per second.  And IIRC, each NMEA sentence can be 80 bytes in length.  Given an RMC and GGA and a few GSVs (? I think that's it) with 4 satellites in each, we've got 5 (or so) packets or about 400 bytes.  At 480 cps, that's just about a second just in transmission time.

                                          By the time I RECEIVE the data from the GPS, you can forget about anything downstream being able to synchronize to anything sub-second, and possibly not even WITHIN a few seconds if TCP/IP is in the picture.

                                          My issue with Franson's gpsGate way back when was that it delayed the NMEA deliver between the GPS and Street Atlas so badly that you couldn't rely on turning directions if going > 30 mph.

                                        • Adam Mahnke
                                          Message 21 of 26 , Dec 23, 2012
                                            I'm only following about a third of all of this, but I hope I'm misunderstanding that people want aprsisce32 to display ALL the plots from a Doppler device.

                                            That may be ok in the flat wide open areas, but in mine that would be useless.

                                            I'm ok with sound Doppler showing me the ever changing directions, but I would only want the good quality ones to be pushed to aprsisce32 for plotting.

                                            Half of my time mobile with a doppler while fox hunting is with useless signals.

                                            Just my .02 on the topic
                                            Adam
                                            KC2ANT

                                            Message 22 of 26 , Dec 23, 2012
                                              On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:

                                              > I'm only following about a third of all of this, but I hope I'm misunderstanding
                                              > that people want aprsisce32 to display ALL the plots from a Doppler device.

                                              This thread is about something totally different... I'm not following
                                              it either, but it is about building NMEA GPS strings from partial
                                              data, or something like that.

                                              Raw Doppler data would be presented to an external program from
                                              SoundDoppler in Agrelo format, and it would be up to APRSISCE/32 or
                                              any other program to aggregate the data and present APRS DF reports in
                                              a reasonable manner.

                                              Trying to send hundreds of raw readings per second would not be possible.

                                              SoundDoppler does averaging and statistical analysis of the raw data
                                              and presents that in the APRS DF report format at a calculated rate.

                                              This conversation should be dropped from this thread, we'll let them
                                              wander off with the GPS string conversation, and we'll stick with
                                              SoundDoppler in the other thread.

                                            • Robert Bruninga
                                              Message 23 of 26 , Dec 23, 2012
                                                Remember also the EXTREME importance of displaying the LENGTH of the DF line!  This became a fundamental part of APRS after our first time on the road with a Doppler DF  As we spiraled in on the fox at closer and closer range, the original map became a huge mat of crisscrossed lines looking like a pile of pick-up-sticks.
                                                Most of it caused by the last mile as we circled he fox.

                                                All of that mess disappeared when we added DF bearing RANGE to the protocol.  Then a replay of a fox hunt shows the length of the final 3, 2, 1 and .5 mile bearings with a length of 3, 2, 1 and .5 mile and bingo, the map is exactly what you expect, every line points to the fox and NOT frem edge to edge of the map!

                                                The way we derived the length of the bearing line was simply by the "range scale" of the map that the DF driver was using at the time.  Thsi was an excellent 1st order approximation of the range of his bearing info.

                                                So, I ahve not been followig the thread, but the LENGTH of the displayed bearing line is just as important as its direction.  (on everyone else's display).

                                                Bob, WB4APR

                                                Message 24 of 26 , Dec 24, 2012
                                                  Hello All,

                                                  Look the SoundDoppler program only wants

                                                  Loacally recieved GPS data
                                                  I am totally not intrested in GPS data from other stations.

                                                  Just APRSIS32 needs GPS for center the maps if I use
                                                  it as a doppler display mapprogram.

                                                  I saw that APRSIS can be manualy centerd too

                                                  So the it doesn't need at all the local GPS rx stream

                                                  I want with the doppler only object plotting
                                                  Not a Mobile APRS station.

                                                  I probally also do not want to send APRS packet data
                                                  on the same band as hunting.

                                                  73's

                                                  PA3BNX
                                                  Lodewijk

                                                  Netherlands.

                                                  --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Daniels" <steve@...> wrote:

                                                  > I would generate as many of the $GP sentences as you can, some of them you
                                                  > can build from sentences not sent by the GPS unit.
                                                  >
                                                  > The unit I have attached sends $GPRMC,$GPVTG,$GPGGA,$GPGSA,$GPGSV
                                                  >
                                                  > Have been over this in the past with you but the GGA sentence sends HDOP
                                                  > which could be used to tell device how accurate the GPS thinks it's location
                                                  > is.
                                                  >
                                                  > It would be good to have a 1 second pulse of data so if the device it
                                                  > capable it could be synced to the main APRS computer time wise.
                                                  >
                                                  > Waypoints are a great idea to send with the ability to turn them off if not
                                                  > required.
                                                  >
                                                  > For those interested http://www.catb.org/gpsd/ is a mine of information on
                                                  > GPS tech
                                                  >
                                                  > On the subject of RF, on the soundDoppler thread it's been pointed out that
                                                  > APRS transmission over RF from APRSISCE32 could skew the RDF data, so we
                                                  > need to look and see if a NMEA sentence can be hijacked sensibly to provide
                                                  > a transmitting/not transmitting so it knows to possibly ignore anything in
                                                  > that period.
                                                  >

                                                  > Have renamed in an attempt to bring discussions of the NMEA output port into
                                                  > one place and leave room for discussion about what could be happening with
                                                  > NMEA input as well.
                                                  >

                                                  > Steve Daniels
                                                  >
                                                  > Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
                                                  >
                                                  > Torbay Freecycle Owner

                                                  > APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com
                                                  >

                                                  > _____

                                                • Murry B
                                                  Message 25 of 26 , Dec 24, 2012
                                                    Whatever became of good old aprs?

                                                    href="http://www.catb.org/gpsd/">http://www.catb.org/gpsd/ is a mine of information on
                                                    > GPS tech
                                                    >
                                                    > On the subject of RF, on the
                                                    soundDoppler thread it's been pointed out that
                                                    > APRS transmission over RF
                                                    from APRSISCE32 could skew the RDF data, so we
                                                    > need to look and see if a
                                                    NMEA sentence can be hijacked sensibly to provide
                                                    > a transmitting/not
                                                    transmitting so it knows to possibly ignore anything in
                                                    > that
                                                    period.

                                                    > Have renamed in an attempt to bring
                                                    discussions of the NMEA output port into
                                                    > one place and leave room for
                                                    discussion about what could be happening with
                                                    > NMEA input as
                                                    well.

                                                    > Steve Daniels
                                                    >
                                                    > Amateur
                                                    Radio Callsign G6UIM

                                                    href="http://aprsisce.wikidot.com">http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

                                                    > _____

                                                    href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                                                    > Of Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                                    > Sent: 22 December 2012
                                                    18:07
                                                    > To:
                                                    href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com

                                                    Subject: [aprsisce] NMEA Waypoint Output (was: Feature Request - Droid

                                                    Dryer-Outer)

                                                    Message 26 of 26 , Dec 24, 2012

                                                      This is part of APRS. Stations use APRS to display and communicate RDF bearings, So say 3 stations in different locations can each see an RDF triangle, for the location of a non APRS radio.

                                                      Very handy for SAR