Video of APRSISCE/32 In Operation

  • Fred
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 2012
      I have just added a post to our Blog which includes a video of APRSISCE/32 in operation as well as some additional information about our APRS Station. The video show's APRS iGating packets received by a Kenwood D710A transceiver. I am hoping that some of the readers of this group might find the video and associated information interesting. You can view our blog by clicking here .

      - Fred (AB1OC)
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 19, 2012
        <joking>So, why does the photo of the AvMap get top billing?</joking>

        <seriously>I'd think the AvMap is more for mobile operation and is a bit of overkill for a Digi/IGate installation?</seriously>

        Pretty cool time-lapse video.  If you'd let APRSISCE/32 beacon, (I noticed the DISABLED on the top left) then folks would know there's someone around that might do messaging.  But of course, you'd probably also want an AutoAnswer configured because I doubt that there's someone around 24x7.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 19, 2012
          The AvMap device is useful to determine if the station is operating correctly when I am in the shack (and its cool as well ;) ). I let my D710A handle the beaconing and I do receive messages both on the D710 and on APRSISCE/32. I check these maybe once a day or so.

          Glad you liked the video.

          73, Fred (AB1OC)

        • kc8sfq@mei.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 19, 2012
            Hi Fred,
            Nice video. What's the music? I want more of it.

            73,  KC8SFQ
            ++++++++++++

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 19, 2012
              On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Fred <fkemmerer@...> wrote:

              > I have just added a post to our Blog which includes a video of APRSISCE/32
              > in operation as well as some additional information about our APRS Station.

              I would remove the references to an APRS Repeater. The proper term
              which you use once towards the bottom of the article is digipeater.
              Repeaters generally work on a split frequency and move the information
              from the RX to TX frequency in near real time. A packet digipeater
              generally runs on a simplex frequency and acts as a store and forward
              device.

              Trivial difference to some, but there are very distinct differences in
              the operation, and it makes it much easier to teach newbies when they
              don't come across incorrect or misleading information on the web.

              You've got some nice antennas up on that tower!

            • Fred
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 19, 2012
                The music is from iMove stock audio...

                --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, kc8sfq@... wrote:

                > Hi Fred,
                > Nice video. What's the music? I want more of it.
                >
                > 73,  KC8SFQ
                > ++++++++++++
                > > I have just added a post to
                > our Blog which includes a video of
                > > APRSISCE/32 in operation as
                > well as some additional information about
                > > our APRS Station. The
                > video show's APRS iGating packets received by a
                > > Kenwood D710A
                > transceiver. I am hoping that some of the readers of this
                > > group
                > might find the video and associated information interesting. You
                > >
                > can view our blog by clicking here
                > <http://stationproject.wordpress.com>
                > >  .
                > > -
                > Fred (AB1OC)

              • Fred
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 19, 2012
                  Thanks James, you are correct of course. I have adjusted the terminology to be a bit more precise. Thanks,