RE: [aprsisce] taskbar icon

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 2 KB

    Hopefully this will get through

    Steve Daniels

    Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

    Torbay Freecycle  Owner

    From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Sent: 19 December 2012 18:14
    To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: Re: [aprsisce] taskbar icon

    Screenshot would be useful.  I'm not at all sure what you're seeing, but I don't recall doing anything like that.

    On 12/19/2012 1:03 PM, Steve Daniels wrote:

    Not seen this before, I have a yellow and blue colour circle on top of the APRSISCE/32 taskbar icon, does it have any significance?

    Will screenshot it if required

    Steve Daniels

    Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

    Torbay Freecycle  Owner

  • Patrick Wood
    Message 2 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
      Windows 7 or 8?  You chose to run it as administrator.

      [Attachment(s) from Steve Daniels included below]

        Message 4 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012

          OK thanks thought it might be APRSIS telling me something, it’s only just appeared so I need to find what to turn off in windows

          Steve Daniels

          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

          Torbay Freecycle  Owner

          Screenshot would be useful.  I'm not at all sure what you're seeing, but I don't recall doing anything like that.

          On 12/19/2012 1:03 PM, Steve Daniels wrote:

          Not seen this before, I have a yellow and blue colour circle on top of the APRSISCE/32 taskbar icon, does it have any significance?

          Will screenshot it if required

          Steve Daniels

          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

          Torbay Freecycle  Owner

          Attachment(s) from Steve Daniels

          1 of 1 Photo(s)

        • Colin XSD

              APRSISCE/32Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

              Message 7 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012

                I did some updates, now trying to figure how to disable whatever it is

                  Message 10 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012

                    I think it’s UAC or DEP the aprsis instance is under my program files, the other instance is not and does not have the security icon.

                    I turned off firewall and also the file protection once using a program forgot what it’s called

                    Message 11 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
                      If you have the default directory under Program Files in Vista or Windows 7, then Windows will likely get upset about it, or require you to run it with elevated privileges.  APRSISCE/32 writes the logs and configuration (and tiles by default) to the default directory at runtime.  Newer versions of WIndows don't consider this "proper" behavior and actually redirect those writes to an alternate directory buried deep within your user profile.  The stupid thing is that if the file being written previously existed in the Program Files directory, that'll be the one the program next reads rather than the one that Windows re-directed the writes to.

                      Hence the warning on http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/initial-startup

                      Note: Windows 7 and Windows Vista users: Do NOT put this directory under "Program Files" or any other Windows-Protected directory or the About-based automatic update will not work properly.

                      Message 12 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012

                        "the aprsis instance is under my program files"

                        That explains it! Windows doesn't not have a certificate for it.

                        Message 13 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012
                          Wasn't that section written by Steve himself? ;)

                          Message 14 of 17 , Dec 19, 2012

                            I realise but I had all that turned off and now it’s back on it seems, seem to recall I ran a program to do it, will figure it out