Re: [aprsisce] Re: APRSIS32 running under WINE

  • Greg D
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 10, 2012
      Besides the device link, did you edit the registry file?  APRSIS32 uses the registry to know what devices are out there; if the com port is not showing up, it's not in the registry.

      Greg  KO6TH

      jandgandjochem wrote:

      I still haven't got this going.
      APRSIS32 runs fine under WINE but I cannot get the Keyspan USB to serial adaptor to work. Googled everywhere and lots of info, some of it over my head.

      Tried setting the device with ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1 but APRSIS32 still does not recognise the port. (Or is it WINE not recognising it??)

      The keyspan device works fine under windows and also under Mountain Lion. No problems there.

      I must be missing something somewhere.

      Any step by step help appreciated. Love to get APRSIS32 configured with RF port back in operation on my MacBook.

      Thanks heaps

    • Rob Giuliano
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 10, 2012
        As is most often the case, the devil is in the detail.

        Devices need the colon ':' at the end, so your symbolic link needs to be

        ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1:

        That is assuming the Keyspan device comes up as /dev/ttyUSB0.  Multiple USB devices can cause the actual ttyUSB# to changem so make sure you are only using one, or double check to ensure you are linking to the correct one.

        A quick check would be disconnect the Keysan device to do a
           "ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*"
        then plug it in and do it again.

        You can also add a udev rule in
          /etc/udev/rules.d
        which will create a symbolic link to the proper device.
        Write back if you (or anyone) are interested.

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 10, 2012
          Hi Rob,

          Your devil is a bit different than mine...  No colons here, but this is on a Linux system.

          greg@server:> ll ~/.wine/dosdevices/
          total 0
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users  8 Dec 31  2011 a:: -> /dev/fd0
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users 10 Dec 31  2011 c: -> ../drive_c
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users 10 Dec 31  2011 com1 -> /dev/ttyS0
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users 10 Jan  2  2012 com2 -> /dev/ttyS4
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users 10 Jan  2  2012 com3 -> /dev/ttyS5

          lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users  8 Dec 31  2011 d:: -> /dev/sr0
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users  8 May  4  2012 e:: -> /dev/sdd
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 greg users  1 Dec 31  2011 z: -> /
          greg@server:>

          Greg  KO6TH

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 10, 2012
            I am running Linux Mint Maya (with Cinnamon desktop).
            When I created links without the colon, it didn't work.  I added them and it worked.

            Editing the registry makes the settings available in the
              >Configure >Ports >Device Button
            If I already have the port identified in the XML, I don't edit the registry and it still works (as long as there is a symbolic link).  NOTE, any port changes to Baud, Data, Parity, and Stop has to be done through an XML edit without the registry edit, however, it does work.

            Robert Giuliano
            KB8RCO

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 10, 2012
              Hmmm.  Taking a wild guess here, but do your registry entries have colons too?  Mine don't.  I bet they just need to match...

              greg@server:~/.wine> grep -i com1 system.reg
              "COM1"="COM1"
              "COM1:"="9600,n,8,1"

              Greg  KO6TH

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 11, 2012
                No colons in the registry.  IN FACT, one setup has NO entry in the registry at all.  APRSIS32 still communicates wth the TNC (Comm port 1), but you have to edit the XML file to change settings.
                  >Configure >Ports >KPC3 (my name for the KPC TNC on Com1:) does NOT have a functional "Device" button pn that setup.

                Robert Giuliano
                KB8RCO

                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 11, 2012

                  We could probably do with a better writeup in the wiki, if someone would like to supply a guide

                  Steve Daniels

                  Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                  Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 12, 2012
                    A friend of mine was asking about APRSIS32 and Linux.  I asked him to follow the APRSIS32 WIKI "to a tee" and see if it works and what can be improved.  His Comments (hope he jumps in and adds):

                    APRS Wiki "Site Menu" -> not easy to find initial setup for Linux
                        He found that "Compatable Hardware / Software" seemed ALL hardware with a small reference to "Linux"
                        Suggestions:
                         a) Main Menu Tree
                            under entry for "Initial Setup", add "Initial Setup Other Operating Systems (using WINE)"
                         b) Bottom of "Initial Setup" page add a link to "Initial Setup Other Operating Systems (using WINE)"
                           (if more than one), or "Initial Setup using WINE"

                    Link to WINE Regestry:

                    The Windows Registry is a simple text file. You can edit the file and search to see if you need to add the description. More info at Wine Registry.
                       This link goes to a GRAPE PRODUCT

                    I will make an effort to "cleanup" and "simplify" the WINE explanation, but probably won't get it before the holidays.

                    Robert Giuliano
                    KB8RCO

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 7, 2013
                      Bumped up the list as I am still hoping to get this to work.

                      APRSIS32 runs very well on my MACbook Pro under WINE but I cannot get the KeySpan USB to serial adaptor working. I have the Kenwood D710 hooked up in PACKET mode but when I configure the port for the D710 and then go to enable that same port it is "Greyed Out".

                      When I run a terminal program (Z-Term) it talks happily with my D710 and I can put the D710 in KISS mode etc. Whilst hooked up to the terminal program I can see all the APRS station received via RF in the terminal window.

                      Just cannot get the D710 port working under APRSIS32.

                      Still hoping for a solution here as others have done it. Trouble is I know nothing about WINE or any setting associated with my problem.

                      Hope someone will be able to guide me here,

                      Thanks in advance,

                      Gerard VK2JNG

                      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "jandgandjochem" wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > With the help of this website: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
                      > All credit to David Baumgold, the owner of the site.
                      >

                      > I got APRSIS32 running nicely under WINE on my MacBook pro.
                      >
                      > The thing I do not know how to get going is my Keyspan USB to serial converter so that I can hookup my D710.
                      >
                      > I have the Mac drivers for the Keyspan installed on my Mac (not under WINE) and the Keyspan converter is working fine when I use a terminal program to talk to my D710 in packet mode.
                      >
                      > However, I don't know how to get the Keyspan converter working for APRSIS32 when running under WINE.
                      >
                      > Can someone shine some light on this which would be very much appreciated.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Gerard VK2JNG

                    • Matthew Willis
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 7, 2013
                        In your home directory (/Users/yourname), there will be a hidden folder named .wine
                        Inside that folder will be another folder named dosdevices.
                        You need to make a symlink from com1 to the Keyspan /dev device

                        Step by step would be:
                        1. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
                        2. In that Terminal window type the following:
                        cd ~/.wine/dosdevices
                        ln -s /dev/KeySerial1 com1

                        Then in APRSIS set the serial port for the Kenwood to be COM1.

                        You'll only have the /dev/KeySerial1 device while the Keyspan USB adapter is plugged in.

                        Try that and let me know how it works.

                        -lilmatt
                        N2PYI

                        On Jan 7, 2013, at 5:52 PM, "jandgandjochem" <vk2jng@...> wrote:

                        > Bumped up the list as I am still hoping to get this to work.
                        >
                        > APRSIS32 runs very well on my MACbook Pro under WINE but I cannot get the KeySpan USB to serial adaptor working. I have the Kenwood D710 hooked up in PACKET mode but when I configure the port for the D710 and then go to enable that same port it is "Greyed Out".
                        >
                        > When I run a terminal program (Z-Term) it talks happily with my D710 and I can put the D710 in KISS mode etc. Whilst hooked up to the terminal program I can see all the APRS station received via RF in the terminal window.
                        >
                        > Just cannot get the D710 port working under APRSIS32.
                        >
                        > Still hoping for a solution here as others have done it. Trouble is I know nothing about WINE or any setting associated with my problem.
                        >
                        > Hope someone will be able to guide me here,
                        >
                        > Thanks in advance,
                        >
                        > Gerard VK2JNG
                        >
                        > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "jandgandjochem" wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi all,
                        > >
                        > > With the help of this website: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
                        > > All credit to David Baumgold, the owner of the site.
                        > >

                        > > I got APRSIS32 running nicely under WINE on my MacBook pro.
                        > >
                        > > The thing I do not know how to get going is my Keyspan USB to serial converter so that I can hookup my D710.
                        > >
                        > > I have the Mac drivers for the Keyspan installed on my Mac (not under WINE) and the Keyspan converter is working fine when I use a terminal program to talk to my D710 in packet mode.
                        > >
                        > > However, I don't know how to get the Keyspan converter working for APRSIS32 when running under WINE.
                        > >
                        > > Can someone shine some light on this which would be very much appreciated.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks
                        > > Gerard VK2JNG

                      • jandgandjochem
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 7, 2013
                          Hi,

                          Thanks for your reply. Followed your instruction to the letter but still no coms to the D710.

                          After the second command executed I got:

                          ln: com1: File exists

                          I then fired up APRSIS32 and under configure > New Port I chose KISS and then in the new window I chose COMn Serial but the window this is in is so small and cannot be made larger. I cannot see where I can set the D710 to COM1.

                          I used to run APRSIS32 under windows 7 but I cannot remember where the setting for COM1 was then.

                          Maybe it is somewhere there but I cannot see it because that window is so small.

                          Just wondering if I can set the port to COM1 by editing the XML file???

                          Your help is much appreciated,

                          Gerard VK2JNG

                          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Willis wrote:

                          > In your home directory (/Users/yourname), there will be a hidden folder named .wine
                          > Inside that folder will be another folder named dosdevices.
                          > You need to make a symlink from com1 to the Keyspan /dev device
                          >
                          > Step by step would be:
                          > 1. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
                          > 2. In that Terminal window type the following:
                          > cd ~/.wine/dosdevices
                          > ln -s /dev/KeySerial1 com1
                          >
                          > Then in APRSIS set the serial port for the Kenwood to be COM1.
                          >
                          > You'll only have the /dev/KeySerial1 device while the Keyspan USB adapter is plugged in.
                          >
                          > Try that and let me know how it works.
                          >
                          > -lilmatt
                          > N2PYI
                          >

                          > On Jan 7, 2013, at 5:52 PM, "jandgandjochem" wrote:
                          >
                          > > Bumped up the list as I am still hoping to get this to work.
                          > >
                          > > APRSIS32 runs very well on my MACbook Pro under WINE but I cannot get the KeySpan USB to serial adaptor working. I have the Kenwood D710 hooked up in PACKET mode but when I configure the port for the D710 and then go to enable that same port it is "Greyed Out".
                          > >
                          > > When I run a terminal program (Z-Term) it talks happily with my D710 and I can put the D710 in KISS mode etc. Whilst hooked up to the terminal program I can see all the APRS station received via RF in the terminal window.
                          > >
                          > > Just cannot get the D710 port working under APRSIS32.
                          > >
                          > > Still hoping for a solution here as others have done it. Trouble is I know nothing about WINE or any setting associated with my problem.
                          > >
                          > > Hope someone will be able to guide me here,
                          > >
                          > > Thanks in advance,
                          > >
                          > > Gerard VK2JNG
                          > >
                          > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "jandgandjochem" wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi all,
                          > > >
                          > > > With the help of this website: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
                          > > > All credit to David Baumgold, the owner of the site.
                          > > >

                          > > > I got APRSIS32 running nicely under WINE on my MacBook pro.
                          > > >
                          > > > The thing I do not know how to get going is my Keyspan USB to serial converter so that I can hookup my D710.
                          > > >
                          > > > I have the Mac drivers for the Keyspan installed on my Mac (not under WINE) and the Keyspan converter is working fine when I use a terminal program to talk to my D710 in packet mode.
                          > > >
                          > > > However, I don't know how to get the Keyspan converter working for APRSIS32 when running under WINE.
                          > > >
                          > > > Can someone shine some light on this which would be very much appreciated.
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks
                          > > > Gerard VK2JNG

                        • Greg D
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 7, 2013
                            Hi Gerard,

                            I've had some trouble in the past with Wine windows being the wrong size (usually too small).  In Linux the window manager usually has a way to override the particular application's settings, and I've used that to force the window to be big enough that I can get to the contents inside.  I did not have this problem with APRSIS32, however, and I run it 24x7 under OpenSuSE Linux / Wine on my shack PC as an iGate.

                            On a Macbook, I have no idea...  Never used one.  But you might search around the window settings (small "w") and see if there's an Advanced settings section to sift through.  Murphy's law says that the window that's too small to use is probably the one you need.

                            All that said, yes, in theory you can do anything configuration-wise by editing the XML file.  Just be careful doing so, and be sure to do it when the program is not running, as it will be overwritten by APRSIS32 when it exits (and before it gets a chance to read your changes).

                            Greg  KO6TH

                          • Rob Giuliano
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 7, 2013
                              Yes, you can edit the XML file, but it becomes much easier if the port already exits.  Sounds like you do have a port already.

                              Couple of things first:
                                 Are you sure the COM1 file is linked to the proper device?
                                    typically something like /dev/ttyUSB0
                                     If Com1 points to the INCORRECT device, you can add a second link (COM2) to the correct /dev ffile.

                              The port should look something like this:
                               <!--RFPort[0]-->
                                 <RFPort Name="D710">
                                    <Protocol>KISS</Protocol>                               You said this was the protocol
                                    <Device>COM2:9600,N,8,1</Device>               Set the same as you {home}/.wine/dosdevices
                                    <RfBaud>1200</RfBaud>
                                    <OpenCmd>~!!0</OpenCmd>                            These should match the WIKI for D710 KISS mode of
                                    <CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>                            These should match the WIKI for D710 KISS mode of
                                    <QuietTime>0</QuietTime>
                                    <Enabled>1</Enabled>
                                    <XmitEnabled>1</XmitEnabled>
                                    <ProvidesNMEA>0</ProvidesNMEA>
                                    <RFtoISEnabled>1</RFtoISEnabled>
                                    <IStoRFEnabled>1</IStoRFEnabled>
                                    <MyCallNot3rd>1</MyCallNot3rd>
                                    <BeaconingEnabled>1</BeaconingEnabled>
                                    <BeaconPath></BeaconPath>
                                    <BulletinObjectEnabled>1</BulletinObjectEnabled>
                                    <MessagesEnabled>1</MessagesEnabled>
                                     <MessagePath></MessagePath>
                                    <TelemetryEnabled>0</TelemetryEnabled>
                                    <TelemetryPath></TelemetryPath>
                                    <!--DigiXform-->
                                 </RFPort>
                              <!--RFPort[0]-->

                              The other part that helps is editing the registry according to the WIKI (don't have access to my Linux box to help here).

                              Hope this helps.

                              Robert Giuliano
                              KB8RCO