Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [aprsisce] UK Ballooning Regs

Expand Messages
  • Bob Burns W9RXR
    ... A man with two non-identical clocks really doesn t know what time it is. Either or both of his clocks could be wrong. Same goes for information on the
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 8, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      At 09:03 PM 12/8/2012, James Ewen wrote:

      >Trying to replicate every bit of information available in every wiki
      >on the internet in every other wiki is a lot of replicated work.

      A man with two non-identical clocks really doesn't know what time it
      is. Either or both of his clocks could be wrong.

      Same goes for information on the Internet. Unfortunately, the more
      times it's duplicated, the greater chance of somebody being wrong or
      out of date.

      We've discussed in the past that this group should focus on
      APRSISCE/32, how to use it, and how it can be used within the large
      sphere of APRS. I have the same opinion of the APRSISCE/32 Wiki.
      Let's keep it focused on how to use the program.

      Bob...
    • James Ewen
      On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Steve Daniels ... Added more information to the APRS Wiki ARHAB page. I created a section that contains information about the
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 9, 2012
      • 0 Attachment
        On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Steve Daniels
        <steve@...> wrote:

        > I hope to add a ballooning page to the wiki, which I hope James will
        > contribute to, is it worth me adding UK info to it, or doing a post here, or
        > none of that

        Added more information to the APRS Wiki ARHAB page. I created a
        section that contains information about the USA (just information that
        was already on the page since US amateurs think the world revolves
        around them), added information about Canadian regulations, and also a
        section for UK regulations.

        Steve, if you can add more information, such as a pull quote from the
        UK regulations where it says you can not use amateur radio airborne,
        that would be good.

        I also added in places for more information about viewing ARHAB
        flights on websites like aprs.fi, db0anf.de, OpenAprs.net. There are
        also sections for using programs like APRSISCE/32, with a brief
        description, and a link back to the APRSISCE/32 wiki page dedicated to
        ARHAB observation and tracking.

        --
        James
        VE6SRV
      • Steve Daniels
        Will do James, I will quote things as our regulator has a habit of moving documents, and links get broken. I misread your reply to my earlier message and
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 9, 2012
        • 0 Attachment

          Will do James, I will quote things as our regulator has a habit of moving documents, and links get broken.

          I misread your reply to my earlier message and thought you were saying not to do anything rather than not to post to the group

           

          Steve Daniels

          Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

          Torbay Freecycle  Owner

          http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle

          APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

           


          From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of James Ewen
          Sent: 09 December 2012 21:30
          To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [aprsisce] UK Ballooning Regs

           

           

          On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Steve Daniels
          <steve@...> wrote:

          > I hope to add a ballooning page to the wiki, which I hope James will
          > contribute to, is it worth me adding
          w:st="on">UK info to it, or doing a post here, or
          > none of that

          Added more information to the APRS Wiki ARHAB page. I created a
          section that contains information about the USA (just information that
          was already on the page since US amateurs think the world revolves
          around them), added information about Canadian regulations, and also a
          section for UK regulations.

          Steve, if you can add more information, such as a pull quote from the
          UK regulations where it says you can not use amateur radio airborne,
          that would be good.

          I also added in places for more information about viewing ARHAB
          flights on websites like aprs.fi, db0anf.de, OpenAprs.net. There are
          also sections for using programs like APRSISCE/32, with a brief
          description, and a link back to the APRSISCE/32 wiki page dedicated to
          ARHAB observation and tracking.

          --
          James
          VE6SRV

        • James Ewen
          On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Steve Daniels ... There are only 2 lines in the CARs that really affect the size of the balloon, which I quoted in the Canadian
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 9, 2012
          • 0 Attachment
            On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Steve Daniels
            <steve@...> wrote:

            > Will do James, I will quote things as our regulator has a habit of moving
            > documents, and links get broken.

            There are only 2 lines in the CARs that really affect the size of the
            balloon, which I quoted in the Canadian section. There's no
            restrictions on the radio portion, so I didn't put anything about that
            in the wiki.

            I just put in a generic placeholder of information about the UK.
            Specific quoted sections to back it up would be good.

            > I misread your reply to my earlier message and thought you were saying not
            > to do anything rather than not to post to the group

            Actually what I said was that the APRSISCE/32 wiki was probably not
            the best place for the information. The main APRS wiki seems like a
            better location for the information. Why would anyone looking for
            generic ARHAB information head to the APRSISCE/32 wiki?

            Just trying to keep from reinventing the wheel.

            We need to get Keith to add information to the main wiki about using
            UI-View for chasing balloons...

            --
            James
            VE6SRV
          • Randy Love
            Ok. I maybe I m being dense, or blind, or both, but I can t seem to find any of the pages that James has mentioned. Google was not good to me and I usually can
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 9, 2012
            • 0 Attachment
              Ok. 
              I maybe I'm being dense, or blind, or both, but I can't seem to find any of the pages that James has mentioned. Google was not good to me and I usually can find all sorts of obscure stuff using it. I did find the EN_Ballooning page on aprsisce32.wikidot.com, but not the link to the ARHAB stuff at the other APRS Wiki.

              James, could you post links, please?

              Thanks,
              Randy
              WF5X

            • Colin XSD
              Hi Steve, Don t forget there is nothing stopping the General Public from using the UHF ISM/LPD frequencies within the rules some of which happen to be in our
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 9, 2012
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi Steve,

                Don't forget there is nothing stopping the 'General Public' from using the UHF ISM/LPD frequencies within the rules some of which happen to be in our 70cm band (on for instance 433.800MHz which happens to be our UHF APRS frequency).


                73,
                Colin
                M0XSD.

                On 09/12/2012 21:41, Steve Daniels wrote:
                 

                Will do James, I will quote things as our regulator has a habit of moving documents, and links get broken.

                I misread your reply to my earlier message and thought you were saying not to do anything rather than not to post to the group

                 

                Steve Daniels

                Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle

                APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

                 


                From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of James Ewen
                Sent: 09 December 2012 21:30
                To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [aprsisce] UK Ballooning Regs

                 

                 

                On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Steve Daniels
                <steve@...> wrote:

                > I hope to add a ballooning page to the wiki, which I hope James will
                > contribute to, is it worth me adding UK info to it, or doing a post here, or
                > none of that

                Added more information to the APRS Wiki ARHAB page. I created a
                section that contains information about the USA (just information that
                was already on the page since US amateurs think the world revolves
                around them), added information about Canadian regulations, and also a
                section for UK regulations.

                Steve, if you can add more information, such as a pull quote from the
                UK regulations where it says you can not use amateur radio airborne,
                that would be good.

                I also added in places for more information about viewing ARHAB
                flights on websites like aprs.fi, db0anf.de, OpenAprs.net. There are
                also sections for using programs like APRSISCE/32, with a brief
                description, and a link back to the APRSISCE/32 wiki page dedicated to
                ARHAB observation and tracking.

                --
                James
                VE6SRV


              • James Ewen
                ... Sure, here it is again. ... -- James VE6SRV
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 9, 2012
                • 0 Attachment
                  On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

                  > I maybe I'm being dense, or blind, or both, but I can't seem to find any
                  > of the pages that James has mentioned. Google was not good to me and I
                  > usually can find all sorts of obscure stuff using it. I did find the
                  > EN_Ballooning page on aprsisce32.wikidot.com, but not the link to the ARHAB
                  > stuff at the other APRS Wiki.
                  >
                  > James, could you post links, please?

                  Sure, here it is again.

                  On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
                  > The main APRS wiki has a page for
                  > ballooning. A subpage off of that page which details the UK
                  > regulations would be a good place for the information. A hotlink from
                  > the ARHAB page linking to the APRSISCE/32 specific balloon tracking
                  > page would tie things together. A link from the APRSISCE/32 balloon
                  > tracking page to the ARHAB page would get people to the right
                  > information.
                  >
                  > http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=ARHAB


                  --
                  James
                  VE6SRV
                • Steve Daniels
                  I know Colin, have all the regs to hand both those that prohibit and also those that allow you to put a tracker on a Balloon. Not sure 433.800 would be a good
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 9, 2012
                  • 0 Attachment

                    I know Colin, have all the regs to hand both those that prohibit and also those that allow you to put a tracker on a Balloon. Not sure 433.800 would be a good idea to use, you really don’t want an in use frequency

                     

                    Steve Daniels

                    Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                    Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                    http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle

                    APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

                     


                    From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Colin XSD
                    Sent: 09 December 2012 21:59
                    To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: Re: [aprsisce] UK Ballooning Regs

                     

                     

                    Hi Steve,

                    Don't forget there is nothing stopping the 'General Public' from using the UHF ISM/LPD frequencies within the rules some of which happen to be in our 70cm band (on for instance 433.800MHz which happens to be our UHF APRS frequency).


                    73,
                    Colin
                    M0XSD.

                    On 09/12/2012 21:41, Steve Daniels wrote:

                     

                    Will do James, I will quote things as our regulator has a habit of moving documents, and links get broken.

                    I misread your reply to my earlier message and thought you were saying not to do anything rather than not to post to the group

                     

                    Steve Daniels

                    Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                    Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                    http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle

                    APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

                     


                    From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of James Ewen
                    Sent: 09 December 2012 21:30
                    To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: Re: [aprsisce] UK Ballooning Regs

                     

                     

                    On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Steve Daniels
                    <steve@...> wrote:

                    > I hope to add a ballooning page to the wiki, which I hope James will
                    > contribute to, is it worth me adding UK info to it, or doing a post here, or
                    > none of that

                    Added more information to the APRS Wiki ARHAB page. I created a
                    section that contains information about the USA (just information that
                    was already on the page since US amateurs think the world revolves
                    around them), added information about Canadian regulations, and also a
                    section for UK regulations.

                    Steve, if you can add more information, such as a pull quote from the
                    UK regulations where it says you can not use amateur radio airborne,
                    that would be good.

                    I also added in places for more information about viewing ARHAB
                    flights on websites like aprs.fi, db0anf.de, OpenAprs.net. There are
                    also sections for using programs like APRSISCE/32, with a brief
                    description, and a link back to the APRSISCE/32 wiki page dedicated to
                    ARHAB observation and tracking.

                    --
                    James
                    VE6SRV

                     

                  • Randy Love
                    Blind it was. Tnx.
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 9, 2012
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Blind it was.
                      Tnx.

                      On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
                       

                      On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

                      > I maybe I'm being dense, or blind, or both, but I can't seem to find any
                      > of the pages that James has mentioned. Google was not good to me and I
                      > usually can find all sorts of obscure stuff using it. I did find the
                      > EN_Ballooning page on aprsisce32.wikidot.com, but not the link to the ARHAB
                      > stuff at the other APRS Wiki.
                      >
                      > James, could you post links, please?

                      Sure, here it is again.


                      On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
                      > The main APRS wiki has a page for
                      > ballooning. A subpage off of that page which details the UK
                      > regulations would be a good place for the information. A hotlink from
                      > the ARHAB page linking to the APRSISCE/32 specific balloon tracking
                      > page would tie things together. A link from the APRSISCE/32 balloon
                      > tracking page to the ARHAB page would get people to the right
                      > information.
                      >
                      > http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=ARHAB

                      --
                      James
                      VE6SRV


                    • James Ewen
                      ... Being one to always want to stretch the rules, this is interesting to me. What limitations are there for use of the ISM/LPD frequencies? Foremost is
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 9, 2012
                      • 0 Attachment
                        On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Colin XSD <m0xsd@...> wrote:

                        > Don't forget there is nothing stopping the 'General Public' from using the
                        > UHF ISM/LPD frequencies within the rules some of which happen to be in our
                        > 70cm band (on for instance 433.800MHz which happens to be our UHF APRS
                        > frequency).

                        Being one to always want to stretch the rules, this is interesting to me.

                        What limitations are there for use of the ISM/LPD frequencies?
                        Foremost is probably power limitations...

                        Can you use FM modulation? Can you use a protocol such as APRS? Is
                        there a specification for identification?

                        FRS frequencies here in North America require no callsigns, but I can
                        call myself "Big Bubba" if I want. I could also use a random
                        collection of letters and numbers as well... maybe a random collection
                        like "VE6SRV". There would be nothing illegal about that. Obviously
                        the FRS frequencies don't overlap the amateur band, but I'm currently
                        just talking about identifying a station when identification is not
                        necessary.

                        If you can legally operate on 433.800 MHz as part of the general
                        public, and happen to use a protocol that others are using on that
                        frequency (APRS), and use a random callsign, what can they do?

                        How would OFCOM prove that you were operating as a licensed amateur
                        rather than a member of the general public?

                        Use a tactical callsign, and if you want put your amateur callsign in
                        the comment.

                        The problem over here would be if amateurs tried to communicate with
                        the non-licensed station. We are prohibited from doing so. However,
                        the unlicensed station transmitting on 433.800 would not be attempting
                        to communicate with amateurs, but rather transmitting in the blind.
                        Amateur radio stations on the ground would just happen to hear and
                        i-gate packets from the airborne unlicensed station. Reception is not
                        a crime.

                        --
                        James
                        VE6SRV
                      • Colin XSD
                        I am by no means an expert on the subject but I think about the only limit is the 10mW ERP Power.
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 9, 2012
                        • 0 Attachment
                          I am by no means an expert on the subject but I think about the only limit is the 10mW ERP Power.


                          On 09/12/2012 22:14, James Ewen wrote:
                           

                          On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Colin XSD <m0xsd@...> wrote:

                          > Don't forget there is nothing stopping the 'General Public' from using the
                          > UHF ISM/LPD frequencies within the rules some of which happen to be in our
                          > 70cm band (on for instance 433.800MHz which happens to be our UHF APRS
                          > frequency).

                          Being one to always want to stretch the rules, this is interesting to me.

                          What limitations are there for use of the ISM/LPD frequencies?
                          Foremost is probably power limitations...

                          Can you use FM modulation? Can you use a protocol such as APRS? Is
                          there a specification for identification?

                          FRS frequencies here in North America require no callsigns, but I can
                          call myself "Big Bubba" if I want. I could also use a random
                          collection of letters and numbers as well... maybe a random collection
                          like "VE6SRV". There would be nothing illegal about that. Obviously
                          the FRS frequencies don't overlap the amateur band, but I'm currently
                          just talking about identifying a station when identification is not
                          necessary.

                          If you can legally operate on 433.800 MHz as part of the general
                          public, and happen to use a protocol that others are using on that
                          frequency (APRS), and use a random callsign, what can they do?

                          How would OFCOM prove that you were operating as a licensed amateur
                          rather than a member of the general public?

                          Use a tactical callsign, and if you want put your amateur callsign in
                          the comment.

                          The problem over here would be if amateurs tried to communicate with
                          the non-licensed station. We are prohibited from doing so. However,
                          the unlicensed station transmitting on 433.800 would not be attempting
                          to communicate with amateurs, but rather transmitting in the blind.
                          Amateur radio stations on the ground would just happen to hear and
                          i-gate packets from the airborne unlicensed station. Reception is not
                          a crime.

                          --
                          James
                          VE6SRV


                        • Steve Daniels
                          Anyone can use the frequency band 433.050 to 434.790 MHz. with an ERP of 10mW. It needs to be a type approved transmitter meeting EN 300 220. Any modulation
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 9, 2012
                          • 0 Attachment

                            Anyone can use the frequency band 433.050 to 434.790 MHz. with an ERP of 10mW. It needs to be a type approved transmitter meeting  EN 300 220.

                            Any modulation and even encryption (used for car key fobs etc) can be used, Radiometrix NTX2 are the transmitter module of choice for ballooning

                             

                            So if you ran an igate on 433.800MHz and a non amateur used APRS on that Frequency, from an RF point of view there is no issue. And not much you can do other than go to the trouble of a civil action, of non amateur use of APRS, pretty sure that would be a waste of time.

                             

                            The relevant UK regs for Amateurs are as follows

                            1(2) The Licensee may use or permit the use of the Radio Equipment by a member of a

                            User Service during any operation conducted by a User Service or during any exercise

                            Relating to such an operation in each case for the purpose of sending Messages on behalf of

                            The User Service.

                            1(3) The Licensee may use the Radio Equipment to assist with communications in times of

                            Disaster or national or international emergency

                             

                            9(3) without prejudice to Clause 1 of this Licence, the Licensee shall not establish or use

                            The Radio Equipment in any Aircraft or other Airborne Vehicle.

                             

                            I can use any radio frequency in an emergency (that being officer down etc), and anyone can use my radio on the amateur bands in similar circumstance

                             

                            Clause 1 overrides clause 9 so the chance is that if you can persuade one of the User Services to agree to an exercise you might be able to do a high power amateur launch. Coastguard for SAR for example

                            Steve Daniels

                            Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                            Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                            http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle

                            APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

                             


                            From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of James Ewen
                            Sent: 09 December 2012 22:15
                            To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                            Subject: Re: [aprsisce] UK Ballooning Regs

                             

                             

                            On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Colin XSD <m0xsd@...> wrote:

                            > Don't forget there is nothing stopping the 'General Public' from using the
                            > UHF ISM/LPD frequencies within the rules some of which happen to be in our
                            > 70cm band (on for instance 433.800MHz which happens to be our UHF APRS
                            > frequency).

                            Being one to always want to stretch the rules, this is interesting to me.

                            What limitations are there for use of the ISM/LPD frequencies?
                            Foremost is probably power limitations...

                            Can you use FM modulation? Can you use a protocol such as APRS? Is
                            there a specification for identification?

                            FRS frequencies here in North America require no callsigns, but I can
                            call myself "Big Bubba" if I want. I could also use a random
                            collection of letters and numbers as well... maybe a random collection
                            like "VE6SRV". There would be nothing illegal about that. Obviously
                            the FRS frequencies don't overlap the amateur band, but I'm currently
                            just talking about identifying a station when identification is not
                            necessary.

                            If you can legally operate on 433.800 MHz as part of the general
                            public, and happen to use a protocol that others are using on that
                            frequency (APRS), and use a random callsign, what can they do?

                            How would OFCOM prove that you were operating as a licensed amateur
                            rather than a member of the general public?

                            Use a tactical callsign, and if you want put your amateur callsign in
                            the comment.

                            The problem over here would be if amateurs tried to communicate with
                            the non-licensed station. We are prohibited from doing so. However,
                            the unlicensed station transmitting on 433.800 would not be attempting
                            to communicate with amateurs, but rather transmitting in the blind.
                            Amateur radio stations on the ground would just happen to hear and
                            i-gate packets from the airborne unlicensed station. Reception is not
                            a crime.

                            --
                            James
                            VE6SRV

                          • Colin XSD
                            ... That is the point I was trying to make Steve. But didn t have enough knowledge to say as much. On a similar but related note: Is it possible to take
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 10, 2012
                            • 0 Attachment
                              On 09/12/2012 23:50, Steve Daniels wrote:

                              So if you ran an igate on 433.800MHz and a non amateur used APRS on that Frequency, from an RF point of view there is no issue. And not much you can do other than go to the trouble of a civil action, of non amateur use of APRS, pretty sure that would be a waste of time.

                               

                              That is the point I was trying to make Steve. But didn't have enough knowledge to say as much.

                              On a similar but related note:

                              Is it possible to take received packets from a non-amateur system (possibly a balloon on a non-standard APRS frequency) and automatically convert them into APRS Objects?

                              If so I may also have a Terrestrial use for such a system, I would mostly want to just show the objects on my APRSIS32 system and occasionally pass them to APRS-IS and possibly back out to RF (only for short periods of time, like 1 Hour/Day max).



                              73,
                              Colin
                              M0XSD.
                            • Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                              ... The main APRS-IS is primarily for Amateur-generated traffic only. Firenet was developed for the express purpose that you re describing, but you need to use
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 10, 2012
                              • 0 Attachment
                                On 12/10/2012 3:22 AM, Colin XSD wrote:
                                Is it possible to take received packets from a non-amateur system (possibly a balloon on a non-standard APRS frequency) and automatically convert them into APRS Objects?

                                If so I may also have a Terrestrial use for such a system, I would mostly want to just show the objects on my APRSIS32 system and occasionally pass them to APRS-IS and possibly back out to RF (only for short periods of time, like 1 Hour/Day max).

                                The main APRS-IS is primarily for Amateur-generated traffic only.  Firenet was developed for the express purpose that you're describing, but you need to use the firenet-local port (10155), not the normal filtered (14580) port.

                                If anyone has a link to that policy, I'd like to put it on file somewhere...

                                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                              • Colin XSD
                                Thanks Lynn, I will see what I can find out about using Firenet as a solution since I don t particularly want to polute APRS-IS with my objects ( I will email
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 10, 2012
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  Thanks Lynn,

                                  I will see what I can find out about using Firenet as a solution since I don't particularly want to polute APRS-IS with my objects ( I will email you off-list about my actual requirement since it is not specific to APRSISCE/32 as such).


                                  73,
                                  Colin
                                  M0XSD.

                                  On 10/12/2012 12:04, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
                                   

                                  On 12/10/2012 3:22 AM, Colin XSD wrote:
                                  Is it possible to take received packets from a non-amateur system (possibly a balloon on a non-standard APRS frequency) and automatically convert them into APRS Objects?

                                  If so I may also have a Terrestrial use for such a system, I would mostly want to just show the objects on my APRSIS32 system and occasionally pass them to APRS-IS and possibly back out to RF (only for short periods of time, like 1 Hour/Day max).

                                  The main APRS-IS is primarily for Amateur-generated traffic only.  Firenet was developed for the express purpose that you're describing, but you need to use the firenet-local port (10155), not the normal filtered (14580) port.

                                  If anyone has a link to that policy, I'd like to put it on file somewhere...

                                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


                                • James Ewen
                                  ... Canadian regulations prohibit retransmission of transmissions from another service. The rule was written so that people don t automatically repeat audio
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 10, 2012
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Colin XSD <m0xsd@...> wrote:

                                    > Is it possible to take received packets from a non-amateur system
                                    > (possibly a balloon on a non-standard APRS frequency) and automatically
                                    > convert them into APRS Objects?

                                    Canadian regulations prohibit retransmission of transmissions from
                                    another service. The rule was written so that people don't
                                    automatically repeat audio from another service into the amateur band.

                                    Listening to packets from another service and resending them on APRS
                                    "could" be seen as a similar issue, *OR* one could argue that they
                                    were transmitting the packets on behalf of a third party...

                                    Similar precedents are already in place... NWS weather warnings,
                                    earthquakes, etc are a somewhat similar situation.

                                    Steve had talked about tracking a lifeboat in a similar fashion as
                                    well, which was less than overwhelmingly supported.

                                    You really would have to look at the concept from all perspectives,
                                    and decide on whether what you are wanting to do is of benefit by
                                    placing the information onto the APRS RF network.

                                    --
                                    James
                                    VE6SRV
                                  • Colin XSD
                                    Thanks James but that is why I was wanting to convert them into Objects (under my direct control). I just trying to find loopholes I can use to my advantage
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 10, 2012
                                    • 0 Attachment
                                      Thanks James but that is why I was wanting to convert them into Objects (under my direct control).
                                      I just trying to find loopholes I can use to my advantage since OFCOM over here don't allow us to use un-attended beacons without humping through all sorts of hoops.
                                      And the use of APRS RF would be an absolute last resort.


                                      73,
                                      Colin
                                      M0XSD.

                                      On 10/12/2012 14:06, James Ewen wrote:
                                       

                                      On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Colin XSD <m0xsd@...> wrote:

                                      > Is it possible to take received packets from a non-amateur system
                                      > (possibly a balloon on a non-standard APRS frequency) and automatically
                                      > convert them into APRS Objects?

                                      Canadian regulations prohibit retransmission of transmissions from
                                      another service. The rule was written so that people don't
                                      automatically repeat audio from another service into the amateur band.

                                      Listening to packets from another service and resending them on APRS
                                      "could" be seen as a similar issue, *OR* one could argue that they
                                      were transmitting the packets on behalf of a third party...

                                      Similar precedents are already in place... NWS weather warnings,
                                      earthquakes, etc are a somewhat similar situation.

                                      Steve had talked about tracking a lifeboat in a similar fashion as
                                      well, which was less than overwhelmingly supported.

                                      You really would have to look at the concept from all perspectives,
                                      and decide on whether what you are wanting to do is of benefit by
                                      placing the information onto the APRS RF network.

                                      --
                                      James
                                      VE6SRV


                                    • Steve Daniels
                                      Our regulations prohibit retransmission of another service also. Which means if I have a digipeater on 433.800, a license free user could transmit APRS and be
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 10, 2012
                                      • 0 Attachment

                                        Our regulations prohibit retransmission of another service also. Which means if I have a digipeater on 433.800, a license free user could transmit APRS and be doing nothing wrong. I however would be by digipeating them.

                                        Admittedly a person using 10mW ERP would have to be reasonably close by

                                         

                                        Steve Daniels

                                        Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                                        Torbay Freecycle  Owner

                                        http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle

                                        APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

                                         


                                        From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of James Ewen
                                        Sent: 10 December 2012 14:07
                                        To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                                        Subject: Re: [aprsisce] UK Ballooning Regs, Objects to APRS?

                                         

                                         

                                        On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Colin XSD <m0xsd@...> wrote:

                                        > Is it possible to take received packets from a non-amateur system
                                        > (possibly a balloon on a non-standard APRS frequency) and automatically
                                        > convert them into APRS Objects?

                                        Canadian regulations prohibit retransmission of transmissions from
                                        another service. The rule was written so that people don't
                                        automatically repeat audio from another service into the amateur band.

                                        Listening to packets from another service and resending them on APRS
                                        "could" be seen as a similar issue, *OR* one could argue that they
                                        were transmitting the packets on behalf of a third party...

                                        Similar precedents are already in place... NWS weather warnings,
                                        earthquakes, etc are a somewhat similar situation.

                                        Steve had talked about tracking a lifeboat in a similar fashion as
                                        well, which was less than overwhelmingly supported.

                                        You really would have to look at the concept from all perspectives,
                                        and decide on whether what you are wanting to do is of benefit by
                                        placing the information onto the APRS RF network.

                                        --
                                        James
                                        VE6SRV

                                      • Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                        ... Or airborne and within 100-200 miles if the frequency isn t very busy. Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 10, 2012
                                        • 0 Attachment
                                          On 12/10/2012 9:34 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

                                          Our regulations prohibit retransmission of another service also. Which means if I have a digipeater on 433.800, a license free user could transmit APRS and be doing nothing wrong. I however would be by digipeating them.

                                          Admittedly a person using 10mW ERP would have to be reasonably close by



                                          Or airborne and within 100-200 miles if the frequency isn't very busy.

                                          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.