Multi-tasking with APRSIS32?

  • Pat Ryan KC6VVT
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2012
      Well, have been running APRSIS32 DEV version for some time, and thought it would be good to test out other packet programs while it was running.

      Negative results with the TS-2000 internal TNC, which uses the Kenwood/TASCO version.

      Both packet programs tried are semi automated messaging to use for BBS or WinLink modes, and appear to want to put the TNC into KISS mode. Unfortunately, if APRSIS32 is running, the serial port is not available for sharing.

      Specifically, the two programs tried are:
      Outpost
      RMS-Express

      Both these packet message programs work if I exit APRSIS32, however. I may have to reset (power off/power on) the radio TNC in switching back and forth, though.

      Of course, I know I can still use APRSIS32 with the APRSLINK version of WinLink, with some limitations, by sending text via WL2K for multiline email.

      Is there a KISS version available for APRSIS32 that allows use of the Kenwood TASCO modem? (TS-2000, TM-D700 Kenwood radios)

      Is there a free software Windows based packet program that can use this TNC without KISS mode?

      vy 73 de Pat KC6VVT
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2012
        On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Pat Ryan KC6VVT <kc6vvt@...> wrote:

        > Well, have been running APRSIS32 DEV version for some time, and thought
        > it would be good to test out other packet programs while it was running.

        That's not going to work unless you disable the port in APRSISCE/.32
        that is using the radio.

        > Negative results with the TS-2000 internal TNC, which uses the Kenwood/TASCO version.

        Which is exactly as should be expected.

        > Both packet programs tried are semi automated messaging to use for BBS or WinLink
        > modes, and appear to want to put the TNC into KISS mode. Unfortunately, if APRSIS32
        > is running, the serial port is not available for sharing.

        That is correct, only one device can access a serial port at a time.
        There has never been a Windows or even DOS architecture that would
        allow multiple programs access to a single serial port.

        > Specifically, the two programs tried are:
        > Outpost
        > RMS-Express
        >
        > Both these packet message programs work if I exit APRSIS32, however.
        > I may have to reset (power off/power on) the radio TNC in switching back
        > and forth, though.

        You could try hundreds of different programs that utilize the serial
        port, and not a single one of them would be able to gain access to the
        serial port when any of the other of the programs are using it.

        > Is there a KISS version available for APRSIS32 that allows use of
        >the Kenwood TASCO modem? (TS-2000, TM-D700 Kenwood radios)

        No, there is no KISS version of APRSISCE/32. You can however set up a
        port in APRSISCE/32 that will connect to the TNC in KISS mode. Have a
        look at the wiki. However this still will not work around your issue.
        A serial port can only be accessed by one program at a time, no matter
        what communications method you are using over that serial port.

        > Is there a free software Windows based packet program that can
        > use this TNC without KISS mode?

        Yes, there are all kinds of programs out there that can use the TNC
        when it is not in KISS mode. Again however that will not work around
        the issue.

        AGW packet engine however may be an avenue to explore. AGW packet
        engine will connect to the serial port, and directly access the TNC.
        On the internal side of the computer however (if I'm not mistaken),
        you can have multiple virtual ports where you can attach a number of
        programs. These programs can share access to the serial port through
        AGW.

        I have not explored this capability, so may be off the mark a bit, but
        you need to understand that only one program can access a serial port
        at a time. AGW provides a "splitter" where you can connect multiple
        programs. I'm fairly certain you can listen with a number of programs,
        but there may be issues with multiple programs trying to talk at once.

        There are others here that use AGW that will probably have much more knowledge.

      • PE1RDW
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2012
          On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 18:42:41 +0100, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

          > AGW packet engine however may be an avenue to explore. AGW packet
          > engine will connect to the serial port, and directly access the TNC.
          > On the internal side of the computer however (if I'm not mistaken),
          > you can have multiple virtual ports where you can attach a number of
          > programs. These programs can share access to the serial port through
          > AGW.
          >
          > I have not explored this capability, so may be off the mark a bit, but
          > you need to understand that only one program can access a serial port
          > at a time. AGW provides a "splitter" where you can connect multiple
          > programs. I'm fairly certain you can listen with a number of programs,
          > but there may be issues with multiple programs trying to talk at once.
          >
          > There are others here that use AGW that will probably have much more
          > knowledge.

          Yes AGWPE was designed specialy for this, some people think it is only for
          sound card packet but that is not even close to the main function of AGWPE.

          one thing you have to keep in mind is that AGWPE uses a tcpip connection
          and not a virtual serial port for sharing one or more tncs so the software
          you want to use has to suport this aprsisce/32 does this, as does outpost,
          however software like RMS Express does not and for some reason the winlink
          team does not want to add suport for it.

          there are ways to share a tnc with virtual serial ports, one way is call
          kissmode loopback device, this gives a virtual port to agwpe, another
          option would be using bpq32 and a serial port emulator, the emulator
          creates pairs of 2 serial ports, one connects to bpq32 the other to your
          software. BPQ32 is a lot harder to setup then agwpe because it can do a
          lot more.

          I myself use a combination of agwpe, bpq32 and virtual serial ports, in my
          case the vertial serial port is across tcp/ip so I can connect packet
          software like rmsexpress on one pc to bpq32 on the packet pc in the attic.

          sharing in AWPE can be done in one of 2 ways, software can register a
          callsign and agwpe will distribute the data as needed, the seccond way is
          what is called raw mode, this allows the software to see anything that is
          going on, it needs more code in the software to work that way but is more
          flexible, the user will probably never be able to tell the difference, but
          as you can guess aprsisce/32 needs the raw mode because it has to see
          everything going on.

          --
          73 Andre PE1RDW