Re: ISS Question(s)

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2012
      (Copying the group for general interest)

      On 12/6/2012 2:13 PM, Steve Noskowicz wrote:
      > You're obviously the guy to ask ISS - APRS questions about.

      I don't know about that, but I may tend to open my mouth more about it.
      There's definitely people that know more about it than I do, or at least
      have worked the ISS via APRS more often than I have.

      > I was poking around and see that the ISS fan club (http://www.issfanclub.com/)
      > Shows "Live APRS Tracking" of ISS"

      I'm not sure what that is, but the map in the upper left corner doesn't
      look like any of the APRS presentations I've seen. If you click the
      "APRS Tracking" link below the title, the popup displays a similar
      looking map and the column to the right seems to be ARISS-looking APRS
      packets, thought.

      > However, I see that you are putting ISS objects up, so ISS doesn't beacon all the time, right?

      The ISS does beacon, but only a status packet, not a posit. Therefore
      the APRS doesn't "know" where it is except possibly by extrapolating
      from the stations receiving it. My ISS object is injected with a
      circular (APRS-standard) RF footprint to make it easy to visualize who
      is currently in range.

      > I can see the Alias "ISS" on Findu in orbit, but not aprs.fi (in Tenn).

      aprs.fi thinks my object flies too fast or something and drops it
      completely (http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KJ4ERJ-15). I've been meaning to
      talk to Hessu about that sometime, though.

      > Are the Messages From ISS to hams about AOS from you also?

      Yes, I wrote the SATSRV auto-responder for satellites. It covers not
      only the ISS, but also other amateur satellites. Just send an APRS
      message to something like SO50, AO51, AO25 or something similar.

      http://aprs.fi/?c=message&call=ISS&limit=50
      http://aprs.fi/?c=message&call=AO51&limit=50

      > Do you have anything explaining all this?

      "All of this", probably not. But you might want to read
      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:satsrv and see if that helps.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2012

        If you want to set up look at the page on the wiki  http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:satelliteops

        It works, although have been informed of a change so WIDE settings will work, not tested by me

        Steve Daniels

        Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

        Torbay Freecycle  Owner