Viewing Messages

  • Ron Wenig
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
      Hi All,

      Is there a message window that I could leave up to look at all messages
      that are being sent. I have eavesdrop checked but it only show the
      little message block that I have to click. I like to snoop and look at
      the messages to see if anyone I know is out there.

      73, Ron ny3j
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
        Not yet. A message interface overhaul is planned for some point in the
        future.

        For the current, if you don't mind raw packets, hit Control-G (Filter
        Test) and enter t/m as the filter. That will show you all message
        packets that are coming in from your various ports in a "FilterTest"
        trace log window.

        On 12/6/2012 7:51 AM, Ron Wenig wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > Is there a message window that I could leave up to look at all messages
        > that are being sent. I have eavesdrop checked but it only show the
        > little message block that I have to click. I like to snoop and look at
        > the messages to see if anyone I know is out there.
        >
        > 73, Ron ny3j
      • Ron Wenig
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
          Thanks Lynn,

          That will work.  I like using APRS as a text messaging type of application and not just looking at positions.  It's a shame there's not more texting.  It could be Amateur Radio's version of twitter :-)

          Ron ny3j

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
            It is if you look at several of us.  Check the archived messages for KJ4ERJ-AP, KJ4ERJ-12, G6UIM, and then chase it to those that we talk with.  There's some extensive conversations that occur on APRS and some even branch to the RF side of the system!

            Oh, and send a message with any text to ISS and see what you get back.  (Spoiler:  http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:satsrv)

            And there's also the ANSRVR (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:ansrvr), kind of like CQSRVR but more for announcements.  The BALLOON group gets automated messages about APRS-tracked balloon launches.

            On 12/6/2012 8:37 AM, Ron Wenig wrote:
            Thanks Lynn,

            That will work.  I like using APRS as a text messaging type of application and not just looking at positions.  It's a shame there's not more texting.  It could be Amateur Radio's version of twitter :-)

            Ron ny3j

            On 12/06/2012 08:01 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

            Not yet. A message interface overhaul is planned for some point in the
            future.

            For the current, if you don't mind raw packets, hit Control-G (Filter
            Test) and enter t/m as the filter. That will show you all message
            packets that are coming in from your various ports in a "FilterTest"
            trace log window.

            On 12/6/2012 7:51 AM, Ron Wenig wrote:
            > Hi All,
            >
            > Is there a message window that I could leave up to look at all messages
            > that are being sent. I have eavesdrop checked but it only show the
            > little message block that I have to click. I like to snoop and look at
            > the messages to see if anyone I know is out there.
            >
            > 73, Ron ny3j

          • Ron Wenig
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
              Very cool.  Now if I can only get the local people here near Philadelphia to use it for local comms.

              Ron ny3j

              On 12/06/2012 08:43 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

              It is if you look at several of us.  Check the archived messages for KJ4ERJ-AP, KJ4ERJ-12, G6UIM, and then chase it to those that we talk with.  There's some extensive conversations that occur on APRS and some even branch to the RF side of the system!

              Oh, and send a message with any text to ISS and see what you get back.  (Spoiler:  http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:satsrv)

              And there's also the ANSRVR (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:ansrvr), kind of like CQSRVR but more for announcements.  The BALLOON group gets automated messages about APRS-tracked balloon launches.

              On 12/6/2012 8:37 AM, Ron Wenig wrote:
              Thanks Lynn,

              That will work.  I like using APRS as a text messaging type of application and not just looking at positions.  It's a shame there's not more texting.  It could be Amateur Radio's version of twitter :-)

              Ron ny3j

              On 12/06/2012 08:01 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

              Not yet. A message interface overhaul is planned for some point in the
              future.

              For the current, if you don't mind raw packets, hit Control-G (Filter
              Test) and enter t/m as the filter. That will show you all message
              packets that are coming in from your various ports in a "FilterTest"
              trace log window.

              On 12/6/2012 7:51 AM, Ron Wenig wrote:
              > Hi All,
              >
              > Is there a message window that I could leave up to look at all messages
              > that are being sent. I have eavesdrop checked but it only show the
              > little message block that I have to click. I like to snoop and look at
              > the messages to see if anyone I know is out there.
              >
              > 73, Ron ny3j

            • Ron Wenig
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 7, 2012
                Search for USNA-1 and follow the football as it makes it's way from
                Annapolis to Philadelphia. Or use APRSFL.

                http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FUSNA-1&timerange=3600

                If you zoom in and click street view you get a pretty cool view of the
                roads.

                73, Ron ny3j