Re: [aprsisce] Transatlantic Balloon lands.

    Message 1 of 51 , Dec 5, 2012
      On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM, joseph cooksley <skiprokiwi@...> wrote:

      > Awesome ! wonder if the rig had a beacon it to allow for possible
      > recovery ?

      It sure did! It was one of these devices.

      http://www.bigredbee.com/blgps_2mhp.htm

      It was used to observe and track the flight from California all the
      way to Morocco as seen here:

      http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FK6RPT-12&timerange=604800

      All one needs to do is get closer to the landing area and listen for
      the signal on 144.390. You don't even need to decode the packet to
      recover. If you hear ANY activity on 144.390 in the area, it is most
      likely the payload. Use RDF techniques to triangulate the final
      resting location. APRSISCE/32 has the ability to plot RF directionals
      and omni DF plots, which would be a great tool to use for recovery
      efforts

      If you had APRSISCE/32 connected to your radio, the program could plot
      any position packet that was successfully decoded once you got close
      enough.

      Sometimes we forget that the whole purpose of the APRS transmitter on
      board these payloads is to beacon location information which can be
      used to determine the landing location for recovery.

      That's what we use all the time to recover all our balloon payloads.

      Message 51 of 51 , Dec 5, 2012